House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
lypsey

Will Bp Cause A Hpc?

I was wondering that if - as they were forecasting last night on the news oil reaches 120 dollars - will it cause a HPC

My thinking is if 73% of the pipeline over 450 miles is down for a month or two this will have a very serious effect on the oil markets . As I understand it this pipeline pumps 8% of the US oil or the same as 50% of the UK's daily oil .

What is your prediction on inflation over the next few months if this were to happen and then obviously interest rates in the UK

Perhaps we should all write and thank BP ...

including imported oil, the complete closure will only remove 2.73% of the usa's daily supply.

it isn't 73% of 450 miles of pipe, it is about 13 miles of pipe.

i think this one is just being blown out of all proportion to scaremonger.

Chat in the pub last night was that if Iran or Syria is drawn into any sort of middle east conflict then we are looking at $150 a barrel. Can't help but think that the US is biting off in's nose to spite it's face as being such a large importer their economy will dive compared to it's current tailing off. Britain being virtually neutral in oil imports/exports would get off a lot lighter.

A loss of 400,000 barrels a day is a pretty big hit, not only for BP.

That's nearly a billion dollars a month lost production at current prices.

Obviously BP will repair the pipe as fast as humanly possible, but it's a bad time to have a major outage.

There was huge US protest when BP took over Arco, the firm that used to own the Prudhoe Bay field, and it took a long while for BP to win over the Alaskans who depend on these fields for their livelihoods. This could hit relations very hard.

A loss of 400,000 barrels a day is a pretty big hit, not only for BP.

That's nearly a billion dollars a month lost production at current prices.

Obviously BP will repair the pipe as fast as humanly possible, but it's a bad time to have a major outage.

There was huge US protest when BP took over Arco, the firm that used to own the Prudhoe Bay field, and it took a long while for BP to win over the Alaskans who depend on these fields for their livelihoods. This could hit relations very hard.

At last, the good doctor and ca-uk add some sanity and FACTUAL information to the thread (and related one lower on the list). Some of paranoia and conspiracy theories on this site are beyond ridiculous.

BP will not make a net gain out of this even if oil price does spike up to $100, which it will not on the back of Prudoe shut-down, but might on a wider ME conflict.

I heard that BP's complete shutdown, regarded as an overreaction by most industry observers, is an attempt to start earning back its green reputation, already seriously tarnished by earlier spills and refinery fires (and related fines).

Certainly BP is hitting its bottom line hard with a total shutdowm. I would be surprised if the speculation about months of shutdown is correct - days to weeks seems plausible though.

I heard that BP's complete shutdown, regarded as an overreaction by most industry observers, is an attempt to start earning back its green reputation, already seriously tarnished by earlier spills and refinery fires (and related fines).

Certainly BP is hitting its bottom line hard with a total shutdowm. I would be surprised if the speculation about months of shutdown is correct - days to weeks seems plausible though.

Don't know about the detail of the remedial work, but from stuff I'm doing elsewhere the flowline market and pipe mill market is very tight, so it could be a procurement issue of getting replacement steel quickly. An uninformed guess on my part though.

BP are a bunch of fascists! If they cause a HPC then I guess we could spare them a painful death (in favour of a quick but still brutal one) when the revolution comes!

Tanks will roll down Whitehall! All hear the cry of the revolutionary!

OD

WARNING! Crack Cocaine can make you act a touch 'odd'