House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
dog

Council Tax

According to Radio 4 this morning, local councils plan to levy big council tax rises. They claim they will need this to cope with the influx of immigrants. My suspicious nature says that old fashioned greed and empire building is at the heart of this. The NHS got away with it so why not the local councils.

They are capped at 5% I believe. Even so, that will be double Gordon's current estimated level of inflation. IF, and its a big IF, houses prices are going up it is hard to see where the extra money is coming from other than just more debt that people can't even pay now as the recent repossession rises show. Add the 20-30% increases in fuel, stagnat wages, higher unemployment and you have the perfect recipe for a severe HPC. Not forgetting IR hikes of course.

Edited by Realistbear

Council funding from govt is based on population stats, the population stats are increasingly not worth the paper they are written on (like most others nowadays), a large proportion of economic migrants are unregistered despite what the govt. would like you believe and people consume services of all types regardless of their origin. Try working out the cost of supplying just translation services for all the council/teaching/hospital functions.

CT will rocket.

Council funding from govt is based on population stats, the population stats are increasingly not worth the paper they are written on (like most others nowadays), a large proportion of economic migrants are unregistered despite what the govt. would like you believe and people consume services of all types regardless of their origin. Try working out the cost of supplying just translation services for all the council/teaching/hospital functions.

CT will rocket.

Its funny(not) that ministers have been defending the number of immigrants and extolling all the benefits they bring to the Country and Economy. Doesn't seem like much benefit if we all have to pay more council tax. Just doesn't make any sense.

Another stab in the back from the government.

They are capped at 5% I believe. Even so, that will be double Gordon's current estimated level of inflation. IF, and its a big IF, houses prices are going up it is hard to see where the extra money is coming from other than just more debt that people can't even pay now as the recent repossession rises show. Add the 20-30% increases in fuel, stagnat wages, higher unemployment and you have the perfect recipe for a severe HPC. Not forgetting IR hikes of course.

Well we've got to house these poor unfortunates as well as educate them, so what happens is this, a BTL buys a scummy property, gives it a lick of paint, and then rents it to immigrants who get the money from the social, who get the money from you and me via our taxes. So, we can't afford to buy a property for ourselves, but we're expected to pay to house and educate people we've never met before, and who haven't ever contributed anything towards to running of this country. The big winner of course is the BTL scumlord who admittedly gets increased taxes, but they also get massive payments from local government. The big loser - Joe Bloggs the tax payer. Great innit.

The way this country is going we won't ever get an HPC until we bankrupt the middle classes who get hit with the heaviest taxes in relation to earnings, and the least benefits.

And before I get flamed, no I'm not a member of the BNP....I'm just sick of this situation.

Freefall,

Worse than that, people can call me what they like, ignore them, too many peole have been forced to keep thier traps shut and not mention what is an obviously seriously bad policy that is going to cause havoc for many.

'However, there is evidence that migration is displacing existing resident labour.'

-> More scumlords, even more costs piled onto the taxpayer as people lose their jobs/houses and join the dole.

I truly would like to understand, how people who do not speak English can contribute to the economy. Down here, in Kent, the only thing I see, is the immigrants cashing their Family Tax Credit and other benefit related checks at the local Western Union.

How can somebody contribute to the local economy when they ( if they work???) 16 hours a week just to qualify for WFTC, get their rent paid, council tax paid...and believe it or not get a credit card from the bank. It is true, I have not made it up. Can somebody tell me how do the numbers add up????

And before I get flamed, no I'm not a member of the BNP....I'm just sick of this situation.

I think you meant to say:

"before I get flamed by the tiny but vociferous minority, ....."

How badly has freedom of speech been eroded and degenerated when people feel obliged to apologise for speaking their mind?

kick em all out.

Hows that for freedom of speech ;)

Well, slam the door first, then interview the rest to see how many are useful/have settled and are contributing to society. Then kick out the slackers :ph34r:

Well, slam the door first, then interview the rest to see how many are useful/have settled and are contributing to society. Then kick out the slackers :ph34r:

Most of the slackers round my way are very, very English. Can we kick them out too please? :ph34r:

Most of the slackers round my way are very, very English. Can we kick them out too please?

Yes please. Unfortunately I don't think you'll find any country on the planet would be willing to accept millions of British chavs.

Can we apply that rule to everyone in the UK? :-)

Slough council may increase council tax by 6%. We've got the second highest level of immigrants after London. Up to 3 coachfuls a day.

To put it in context, it's estimated that there are between 10000 - 15000 Pakistani's and 20000 Poles. Pakistani's have been in Slough for as long as I can remember. Pole's, maybe a couple of years.

In the Pole's defence, they do tend to come over without children and with intentions of working. Whether they are paying taxes and national insurance ia another matter.

They keep putting my council tax up even though I've still got the same wheely bin and street lamp outside my house :angry:

Ask them to switch off your streetlamp and halve your council tax.

:D

Between myself and my 7 neighbours (in the terrace), we only use 3 wheely bins.

For those of who might be a little concerned that all Poles come to Britain with a burning ambition and formidable work ethic - relax!

The firm I work for employs around 100 Polish carpenters at present. We are experiencing a number of incidents of drunkeness on site and unauthorised periods of absenteeism during the day, which it transpires are for trips to the pub.

The Poles inform us (don't know if it's true) that this is common practice in Poland "as long as the job gets done".

On medium and large construction contracts in the U.K. there is zero tolerance for alcohol or intoxication of any kind and we have been obliged to dismiss several Polish operatives already. Our Poles work at extreme heights and alcohol use is a very bad idea!

Perhaps they're missing home? - I don't know, taking solace in drink?

However, the intense culture of safety of UK building sites is something we can be proud of in Britain I feel.

Edited by urban_hymn

I'm surprised nobody has seen the obvious solution.

Sack all the existing council staff, wiping out the wage and future pension costs and then replace them with cheap migrants woith no pension rights/benefits - that way budgets could be squared without resorting to more tax hikes.

After all that is exactly what is happening (in roundabout ways) in the private sector.

Edited by OnlyMe

Brilliant idea: it's well past time that government employees were outsourced... I'm sure there are vast millions of people on the planet capable of coming up with pointless ******** regulations for less than a pound an hour.

urban_hymn

For every firm that adheres to the rules there will be others that ignore them.

This is a competitive death trap - both for workers themsleves and also companies. Companies that adhere by the rules - both on H&S and compensation will find they will be out-competted by those that don't. OK, it won't really affect the buld housebuilders who are dealing head to head with each other under tuogh supervision, but, further down the scale. A lot of good employers will go to the wall, so will a lot of good employees as result.

Only Me

There is a lot more to the construction industry than housebuilders. Commercial, industrial and civil engineering are where the "real" building goes on.

I am on the frontline and I see no evidence of competition based on cutting safety.

Most plc main contractors (who in turn employ subcontractors) just won't tolerate breaches of Health and Safety regulations.

The competion is on time! As a subcontractor you say you can do it in 50 weeks. You actually take 75 weeks and then compile a claim for additional loss and expense based on the client wanting all sorts of late design changes etc. (very lucrative) ;)

urban_hymn,

Yes, sorry I meant the bigger unionised construction jobs in all their forms. It is the small/individual trades/companies that will enounter the effects of this.

I'm surprised nobody has seen the obvious solution.

Sack all the existing council staff, wiping out the wage and future pension costs and then replace them with cheap migrants woith no pension rights/benefits - that way budgets could be squared without resorting to more tax hikes.

After all that is exactly what is happening (in roundabout ways) in the private sector.

er...... its already happening in the public sector, my EE economic migrant girlfriend translates for the tax office and for NI. 20 -> 25 quid an hour and she is being trained up to do more of the paperwork. The govn is also going to be paying for some of her studies at the local uni..

er...... its already happening in the public sector, my EE economic migrant girlfriend translates for the tax office and for NI. 20 -> 25 quid an hour and she is being trained up to do more of the paperwork. The govn is also going to be paying for some of her studies at the local uni..

Sounds expensive, I'm sure someone else can do it for half that amount?

Within 5 years or less, dustbin charges will be separated from council tax. A new agency will be formed with a name like 'Green Care' and people will be charged £10 a week for bin collection. The Council tax will stay the same and the extra bin charges will be explained away as 'improvements in customer care' and environmental protection. The charges will creep up and after a year or two they will start fitting weigh cells to the trucks which lift the wheely bins. Each month householders will get waste disposal bill.

I suspect they will also start charging top up fees for school children (means tested of course).