House Price Crash Forum
Bucephalus

Advice On Renting In London

Hello all,

I should be moving back to London soon, in perhaps less than a month's time if things go very quickly, perhaps by January if things are a bit slower, to take a £30k job in the city with excellent prospects of salary increases each year for a few years.

I will be working in the square mile. I figure I should not spend more than £600 a month on renting. I am 28 and would like to live in an area with people of a similarish age. I HATE commuting and my hours will be longish so I am looking to live as close as possible to the city (closest tube station is Bank). I don't mind sharing with the right person, though I would prefer my own place even if it's small. I have a phd which generally makes me attractive to landlords as they think it means I will not set up a crack den in their house.

I will need peace and quiet in the evening as I will be studying for the Charteted Financial Analyst exams (http://www.cfainstitute.org/) but like a good party every so often.

I like to swim, cycle, play ruby and do yoga, hopefully closish to my house. Most of my LOndon freinds live in Hamstead or Clapham and it would be nice to be closish to them.

All of this is of course impossible, but it would be nice to have most.

I've tried to find the ideal place but the web is full of junk and the VI drown out good avice.

So I come to you for good advice: where should I live when I return to London?

Many thanks for your kind help!

B.

Its going to be tricky. You will need to share with someone/many folk. 30k commuting to the city unless you get to live at home or rack up massive levels of debt you will be living little better than a student. Find a big house 5+ people to share the bills. Remember that travel in London is also expensive, and also that you will probably need a grand for new suits (unless you are sorted for that!)

Hampstead is nice, if you can find a house share there good luck to you!

Thanks for the replies!

Try Borough, maybe? You can walk to work, so at least you will not have to depend on public transport and might not get sacked therefore for bad timekeeping :)

It's also on the northern line so good for Clapham.

Try Borough, maybe? You can walk to work, so at least you will not have to depend on public transport and might not get sacked therefore for bad timekeeping :)

It's also on the northern line so good for Clapham.

i used to live by Guys Hospital and it's a pretty decent area and 10-15 min walk to Bank station(or bus which is cheaper than tube)

Good luck!