House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Stevo_22001

Will A Univeristy Push Up Prices?

I imagine this question has already been answered, but would be interested in peoples opinions. I am waiting/hoping like most FTB's for a HPC but plans have recently been approved for a Uni/college development in my area (Swindon) and they are predicting around 10,000 students may descend on the area. New housing is constantly being built, but this may cause demand to outstrip supply and leave me in a worse situation than at present.

I imagine this question has already been answered, but would be interested in peoples opinions. I am waiting/hoping like most FTB's for a HPC but plans have recently been approved for a Uni/college development in my area (Swindon) and they are predicting around 10,000 students may descend on the area. New housing is constantly being built, but this may cause demand to outstrip supply and leave me in a worse situation than at present.

Demand from students needing diggs will encourage buy-to-let speculation, so in a word, yes. Additionally a host of parents will get their little-ones their own starter homes. You will still be priced out I'm afraid.

Well, not necessarily.. The Hanover area in Brighton has gone down the toilet simply because of the increased number of student digs in the area. What used to be a desirable last bastion of 'Old Brighton' is seeing falling prices and I know of lots of people who've been there 5 years-odd now wanting to get out.

Lancaster University has invested a massive amount in student halls of residents. This has made the letting market in Lancaster much more competitive for the landlords. One student landlord who has been in the lettings business in lancaster for a long time was complaining to me recently about how the university has severly affected his business by building all these new digs

Indeed. Now universities are just another way to make money, why would they let all that rent go to BTLs? Much better to invest in their own student halls and collect the rent too.

Indeed. Now universities are just another way to make money, why would they let all that rent go to BTLs? Much better to invest in their own student halls and collect the rent too.

same round my way too: huge new blocks of on-campus student accom. with broadband, cheap bars, fast food outlets and a mini supermarket. doubtless all PFI <_< - no need to set foot outside into the real world.

How the average BTL'er with a gaff like that out of "The Young Ones" can think they can compete against that lord only knows, especially with the HMO legislation etc etc.

there is one near me - a 5 bedder on one of the busiest roads in town. i go running past it and there is a folorn handwritten sign that advertises that it is available to students. it has been there since the winter and the house is still empty... :unsure:

same round my way too: huge new blocks of on-campus student accom. with broadband, cheap bars, fast food outlets and a mini supermarket. doubtless all PFI <_< - no need to set foot outside into the real world.

How the average BTL'er with a gaff like that out of "The Young Ones" can think they can compete against that lord only knows, especially with the HMO legislation etc etc.

there is one near me - a 5 bedder on one of the busiest roads in town. i go running past it and there is a folorn handwritten sign that advertises that it is available to students. it has been there since the winter and the house is still empty... :unsure:

I thought that campus accommodation was more for the first years? Get to know a few people and then find a house to share. If this happens surely it will have a massive effect as landlords start to snap up anything they can?

I thought that campus accommodation was more for the first years? Get to know a few people and then find a house to share. If this happens surely it will have a massive effect as landlords start to snap up anything they can?

Ah yes halls give a uni a good profit I spose, enforce their position as the biggest employer in many areas. Expanding halls to accomadate 2nd, 3rd and postgrads gives them a bigger business base.

All they have to do is rely on numbers staying (or increasing) at the level to support the level of investment they make.

It was about 90 quid a week for a room in a block near where I used to live with broadband on tap in a new build right on the doorstep of the uni.

I work at Sheffield Uni and am in contact with the Accommodation services. Basically the University have just part-privatised the residential arm to Bovis. They are currently building thousands of new ensuite bedrooms. At the same time in Sheffield City Centre there are literally thousands of private sector rooms available and being built. All inclusive rents. No need to worry about setting up standing orders or spliting the bills or getting broadband installed.

I have been told that Overseas students much prefer to turn up and move into some modern flat than a dodgy terraced house a mile away from the campus. Plus there is a slight fall in the number of home students attending as moosetea says. People are coming out of Uni with +15k in debts so more are choosing to live at their parents.

I live in Crookes about a mile from the University and there were a few properties vacant all last year, I expect this to increase as the years go by. The landlords are also going to have to renovate their properties to compete as students will demand better quality houses for similar rents.

It's going to be interesting although prices have gone from 40k->120k on my road in the last 5 years but people are still buying them :( I will continue to rent

Edited by jimmy

Left Hallam Uni just over 4 years ago and they'd just started to build lots of flats around the Leadmill. Is that all developed now Jimmy? Quite why you would want to stay in accomodation directly opposite a busy and loud, albeit nice and cheesy club is beyond me.

Left Hallam Uni just over 4 years ago and they'd just started to build lots of flats around the Leadmill. Is that all developed now Jimmy? Quite why you would want to stay in accomodation directly opposite a busy and loud, albeit nice and cheesy club is beyond me.

Yes and that is just the start. All the area around devonshire green is flats, as is the area around where Corporation is. If you haven't been back since you will find the whole place has changed and is going to change even more. Have a look at this:

Skyscraper City Sheffield

I work at Sheffield Uni and am in contact with the Accommodation services. Basically the University have just part-privatised the residential arm to Bovis. They are currently building thousands of new ensuite bedrooms. At the same time in Sheffield City Centre there are literally thousands of private sector rooms available and being built. All inclusive rents. No need to worry about setting up standing orders or spliting the bills or getting broadband installed.

Looking at the alumni mag on this (not mine), the Bovis Lend Lease thing is a mixture of building and refurbishment. I'm not sure what the net increase in thenumber rooms will be, but many of the thousands of ensuite bedrooms described above replace many thousands of crappy 60s non-en suite bedrooms that are being knocked down.

That being said, there's an awful lot of crap flats been / being built in Sheffield. Ugh.

I live in Swindon as well.

From what I gather don't expect to see a proper university, more of a "Adult Education Centre".

I personally belive that it will not affect the properties in Swindon.

Lots of Poor quality new builds have gone and are still empty around Swindon, plus prices seem to be very stagnant. Though people are still moving.

Most of those 10,000 students are likely to be part-time and living at the parental home.

Take a look at what's happened in other places that have acquired a new university...

'Student landlords feel the pinch' [september 2004]:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/lincolnshire/3682510.stm

Landlords in Lincoln have said they may be forced to sell their properties because of new university flats.

The warning comes as more than 600 student flats remain unoccupied -- three days in to the of the academic year.

Estate agents say they have seen a drop in interest involving houses which would previously have been bought for students to rent.

Over the summer the University of Lincoln has built around 650 new flats in the heart of the city.

Janet Cook, the external accommodation officer for the university, confirmed a new £30m development for students in Lincoln seems to be their new top choice.

Canterbury, where I read politics, has two large universities in a town of about 60k. You would think that sheer pressure for somewhere to live would've pushed up prices from investors and parents..........

.......not a bit of it according to LR data. Falling slightly :D

I really don't get people who reckon London and university towns will somehow be immune from the looking crash. If/when liquidity and credit dries up, it does so everywhere. Still, if people reckon so, go ahead and mortgage yourself to the hilt.

Here's a quote from todays Sun newspaper (the shame):-

Parents buying homes for their kids at university have boosted sales, a survey revealed yesterday.

Around 83,000 properties were bought for students last year, a 26% increase since 2000.

The purchases helped increase the number of "second properties" to 2.6million up from 2.3million five years ago, the researched showed.

The number of houses accupied by students is set to hit 100,000 by 2010.