House Price Crash Forum
Hopeful FTB

Is Anywhere "crashproof"?

I am interested in this idea as I have had it said to me quite a few times in the last few weeks regarding Brighton, where i currently reside!

I have been thinking of moving away to another area as its very expensive here as everyone knows and I do want to buy in the next year or so.

My friend said to me when I said that I was going to move that "you have to be careful as if you move somewhere else, you may lose money as the market may crash but at least if you buy in brighton, you will never lose money"

So, is there such as thing as "crashproof"?! What would need to be in place for this theory to hold water?

Granted, in some areas like tourism, Brighton is a thriving place- Lots of commuters bringing their money here, its a popular place to live etc, nice places to eat etc etc.

But crashproof?

Opinions?

I guess you have to define a 'crash' first of all. Few people would describe houseprices falling by 5% as a crash, but that'd be a considerable hit if you were mortgaged to the hilt while people with equity would be cushioned. Also, take into account the fact that house prices falling only hits you if you actually sell - being able to pay your mortgage every month is probably more important if you're looking to find somewhere to live longterm, rather than looking for an investment.

I am interested in this idea as I have had it said to me quite a few times in the last few weeks regarding Brighton, where i currently reside!

I have been thinking of moving away to another area as its very expensive here as everyone knows and I do want to buy in the next year or so.

My friend said to me when I said that I was going to move that "you have to be careful as if you move somewhere else, you may lose money as the market may crash but at least if you buy in brighton, you will never lose money"

So, is there such as thing as "crashproof"?! What would need to be in place for this theory to hold water?

Granted, in some areas like tourism, Brighton is a thriving place- Lots of commuters bringing their money here, its a popular place to live etc, nice places to eat etc etc.

But crashproof?

Opinions?

I agree with Durch - hardly anywhere is crash proof. And Brighton has inflated into a particularly large bubble. If that one pops, prices will have a very long way to fall and still be comparatively higher than elsewhere in the country. I would never say that Brighton is immune from price falls. And unless the council gets its act together the social problems it's currently facing will get worse and worse. Look east and west along the coast for a safer bet than Brighton.

houses with land in good areas, that means the historically better postcodes nearest to financial sector jobs - in a global market, they are more important than most secondary industry..... - that means large houses with no chance of doleites and chavs next door (unless they win the lottery, innit), individual, private, secluded houses with good links to airports, city centres and motorways and away from the holiday homes market - the retirement homes areas will be OKish, always people getting old with money.....

the worst places will be those that rose most, with inhabitants who historically have low wages, lots of newbuild urban flats on brownfield sites plonked next to social housing..... - oh, you mean City centres and those executive apartments....

But crashproof?

Opinions?

the most dire negative equity story i knew of in the last crash was in Brighton...

1 bedroom flat dropped 50% in value..

the girl who ended up with the flat [her partner 'gave' his half to her before returning to his home town], was stuck there with a husband and child for the next 7-8 years.....

brighton is not crash proof

houses with land in good areas, that means the historically better postcodes nearest to financial sector jobs - in a global market, they are more important than most secondary industry..... - that means large houses with no chance of doleites and chavs next door (unless they win the lottery, innit), individual, private, secluded houses with good links to airports, city centres and motorways and away from the holiday homes market - the retirement homes areas will be OKish, always people getting old with money.....

Oh bloody marvellous, so everywhere that we'd actually want to live then :angry:

Oh bloody marvellous, so everywhere that we'd actually want to live then :angry:

exactly, where we all WANT to live. But not where compromise forces us to. the only real exceptions to that are likely to be places next to high paying jobs with good schools (and there are not that many of those either).