HOLA441

Todays Obersver 6/8/06

Business and Media section Headlines

Page 1: Fed admits US recession on cards

Page 3: Time to get biblical: the day of debt reckoning is nigh

Page 3: We are so in debt that even the banks are getting worried

Page 4: Bernake faces dilema as US economy stutters

Page 8: Beware: you are entering a new age of redundancy

Page 14: Why we're still addicted to pawn (pawn shops)

Page 18: 'up-and-coming' can take a long time to get there (on fashionable property areas)

All in all makes for a huge change in what i've seen in the mass media over the last few years... hitting quite a few of the major points commonly raised in this forum.

Anyone else noticing the 'things aren't actually looking so good' realisation starting to sink in elsewhere?

- Pye

Edited by pyewackitt

HOLA442

Todays Obersver 6/8/06

Business and Media section Headlines

Page 1: Fed admits US recession on cards

Page 3: Time to get biblical: the day of debt reckoning is nigh

Page 3: We are so in debt that even the banks are getting worried

Page 4: Bernake faces dilema as US economy stutters

Page 8: Beware: you are entering a new age of redundancy

Page 14: Why we're still addicted to pawn (pawn shops)

Page 18: 'up-and-coming' can take a long tiem to get there (on fashionable property areas)

All in all makes for a huge chance in what i've seen in the mass media over the last few years... hitting quite a few of the major points commonly raised in this forum.

Anyone else noticing the 'things aren't actually looking so good' realisation starting to sink in elsewhere?

- Pye

IMO, a recession is a certainty. Fuel bills and real inflation are removing discretionary funds to prop the economy up. Wages are going nowhere because of the threat of unemployment. The "feel good" factor is vanishing and I have little confidence in the stock markets going forward into Autumn. The repossessions will accelerate casting a dismal outlook for property and vanishing liquidity will make it impossible for people to buy speculative properties--the banks are getting scared and all the talk about going after sub-prime borrowers with a track record of CCJs and Bankruptcy is ludicrous. Even RBS said as much as they are backing off risky loans.

The economy is simply doing what economies do--its all cyclical and we have had a hell of an upward ride. Its time to pay now. See you at the bottom!

HOLA443

IMO, a recession is a certainty. Fuel bills and real inflation are removing discretionary funds to prop the economy up. Wages are going nowhere because of the threat of unemployment. The "feel good" factor is vanishing and I have little confidence in the stock markets going forward into Autumn. The repossessions will accelerate casting a dismal outlook for property and vanishing liquidity will make it impossible for people to buy speculative properties--the banks are getting scared and all the talk about going after sub-prime borrowers with a track record of CCJs and Bankruptcy is ludicrous. Even RBS said as much as they are backing off risky loans.

The economy is simply doing what economies do--its all cyclical and we have had a hell of an upward ride. Its time to pay now. See you at the bottom!

Its amazing that whilst we are living inside this cycle, we are talking about it as if we are on the outside looking in at some kind of experiment.

Does anyone have any links that would enable us to look back to the early 1990's period and see what sort of VI spin v doom bandits were talking about at the time? I'm interested to know whether there was a similar community of people who were just waiting for it too happen? And if there was a similar turn in the media articles from optimistic to all the warnings about lending and debt service problems?

AFP

HOLA444

Its amazing that whilst we are living inside this cycle, we are talking about it as if we are on the outside looking in at some kind of experiment.

Does anyone have any links that would enable us to look back to the early 1990's period and see what sort of VI spin v doom bandits were talking about at the time? I'm interested to know whether there was a similar community of people who were just waiting for it too happen? And if there was a similar turn in the media articles from optimistic to all the warnings about lending and debt service problems?

AFP

iam seeing more people paying cash for food ive even seen people say sorry stop there i only have so so :ph34r::o

HOLA445
HOLA446

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/business/st...1838081,00.html

Fed admits US recession on cards

Heather Stewart, economics correspondent
Sunday August 6, 2006
The Observer
The United States faces almost a 40 per cent chance of slipping into recession in the next 12 months, according to the Federal Reserve's own market model.
As Fed chairman Ben Bernanke prepares to decide whether to raise American interest rates for the 18th time on Tuesday, bond prices and the high level of borrowing costs are now showing a 38 per cent chance of recession, according to a model published by Fed economist Jonathan Wright earlier this year.

IMO its 100% certain. HPI is crashing in the US and with it 60% of the spending that goes on in the US economy. If the US sneezes we catch a cold. If they catch a cold we get the flu. IF they get the flu..................... :o

HOLA447
HOLA448

I like this:

'A quarter percentage point is not a lot, but it's a signal,' agreed Miles Shipside, commercial director of property website Rightmove. 'Certainly if you were struggling to sell before Thursday, it won't be any easier now.'

Struggling to sell? Oh dear.

He's made a mint, good luck to him, but I find his comments quite amusing.

I wonder if this is how it felt on the Titanic:

"Nothing to worry about ladies and gentlemen, the bands still playing."