House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

Tony Plans To Stay "at Least Another Year"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml...06/nblair06.xml

I'm staying for another year at least, vows Blair

By Patrick Hennessy and Melissa Kite

(Filed: 06/08/2006)

Tony Blair has fired the opening shots in a new war with Gordon Brown by indicating that he wants to stay in power for "at least another year," The Sunday Telegraph has learnt......./
Some Labour MPs believe that he has set his sights on surpassing Margaret Thatcher's 11½-year tenure as prime minister, a record for this or the last century, which he would achieve by staying in office until November 2008......./
"What Mr Blair wants to see over the next year or so is the development of the next generation of ideas for New Labour.

Reading between the lines, Tony has been keeping up with the news and knows Gordon's Miracle Economy is unwinding and that he needs to be at the helm when the rest of the pidgeons come home to roost. It was Gordon who promised stability with no more "boom and bust" and it is evident we have had the boom, with a vengeance, and equally evident that the down cycle is going to be long and steep. TB does not want Gordon to walk away from his mess that much seems clear.

Tony's "next generation" of NuLabour ideas, if they are anything like this generation of ideas, no thank you.

Stealth taxes, ID cards, SIPPS/HIPS/CHIPS, Mass immigration, HPI, Record Insolvency, Congestion Charges (BBC said today the goverment plan to expand these to all major cities), Home Office out of control with indiscriminate immigration at a time when there is a housing crisis, Two Jags/Blunkett/Cook and other rampant ministers, Big Brother speed cameras as another stealth tax, breakdown in legal system though Woolf "reforms" leading to American style litigation and huge increases in costs, any more?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml...06/nblair06.xml

I'm staying for another year at least, vows Blair

By Patrick Hennessy and Melissa Kite

(Filed: 06/08/2006)

Tony Blair has fired the opening shots in a new war with Gordon Brown by indicating that he wants to stay in power for "at least another year," The Sunday Telegraph has learnt......./
Some Labour MPs believe that he has set his sights on surpassing Margaret Thatcher's 11½-year tenure as prime minister, a record for this or the last century, which he would achieve by staying in office until November 2008......./
"What Mr Blair wants to see over the next year or so is the development of the next generation of ideas for New Labour.

Reading between the lines, Tony has been keeping up with the news and knows Gordon's Miracle Economy is unwinding and that he needs to be at the helm when the rest of the pidgeons come home to roost. It was Gordon who promised stability with no more "boom and bust" and it is evident we have had the boom, with a vengeance, and equally evident that the down cycle is going to be long and steep. TB does not want Gordon to walk away from his mess that much seems clear.

Tony's "next generation" of Nullabor ideas, if they are anything like this generation of ideas, no thank you.

Stealth taxes, ID cards, SIPPS/HIPS/CHIPS, Mass immigration, HPI, Record Insolvency, Congestion Charges (BBC said today the government plan to expand these to all major cities), Home Office out of control with indiscriminate immigration at a time when there is a housing crisis, Two Jags/Blunkett/Cook and other rampant ministers, Big Brother speed cameras as another stealth tax, breakdown in legal system though Woolf "reforms" leading to American style litigation and huge increases in costs, any more?

RB, this is irrelevant. The credit binge/boom economy of the last five years has been mimicked in almost every developed nation. It has little to do with the control freaks pretending to run government.

RB, this is irrelevant. The credit binge/boom economy of the last five years has been mimicked in almost every developed nation. It has little to do with the control freaks pretending to run government.

I agree. But in some countries, like Germany, there has been restraint. We could have avoided the HPI-MEW bubble from becoming a monster had lending restrictions remained in place. Sensible multiples based on actual, not declared, income. Taxes on multiple homes and BTLs when a housing shortage is evident. Ban IO and baloon mortgages. And so forth.

But you are right about the UK mimicking the other bubble markets who will suffer the same fate as the IMF pointed out well over a year ago. We went up together and we go down together. The US seems to be leading the way and the consequences will include a rather nasty recession. I am expecting this next housing bust to be long, sharp and painful. There is no way Tony want to take the blame and IMO that is why he wants Gordon at the helm as the boat begins to sink.

Mimicking does not mean as bad as.

Problems in the UK are much worse than other countries. I spend a fair bit of time travelling and I have seen nothing to compare with the current 'loads of money' culture prevalent in the UK. What alarms me is that many of the jobs we are losing are going to the continent and America.

Gordon Brown has recruited 700,000 public servants. He is also using public funds to sponsor millions of new private sector jobs. Our productivity as a nation is slipping behind the rest of the world at an alarming rate.

This week the interest rates have been put up by 1/4% and the pundits are warning that this will trigger bancrupcies and hardship. How can compare our boom to those of other countries?

Mimicking does not mean as bad as.

Problems in the UK are much worse than other countries. I spend a fair bit of time travelling and I have seen nothing to compare with the current 'loads of money' culture prevalent in the UK. What alarms me is that many of the jobs we are losing are going to the continent and America.

Actually, I've found it's almost as bad in Spain. Spain can be classed an 'Anglo-Saxon' economy these days after a program of Thatcherite 'reforms' under the previous Popular Party. I get the feeling rampant consumerism is seen as part of becoming a true front-line European nation.

Similiar our 'baby boomers', over there you have the 'post-Franco' generation now in thier 40s and 50s, who bought their homes when they were easier to buy than a rusty Seat. I have Spanish relatives who have only ever done basic jobs and have homes worth e360k that they bought literally for the price of a second hand car 25 years ago. They have seond homes, and their kids have everything some Beverly Hills teenager would have.

Tony Plans To Stay "at Least Another Year",

Which part of:

"I plan to stay a full parliamentary term" and

"I will not be fighting another General Election as Prime Minister" do people have trouble understanding? It couldn't be clearer. He plans to stay as Prime Minister until a few months before the next election is due and will give sufficient time for his successor to settle in. In short, say six months before May 2009 i.e. he'll go in late 2008. What other possible meaning could his carefully worded explanation have?

p

Which part of:

"I will not be fighting another General Election as Prime Minister" do people have trouble understanding? It couldn't be clearer. He plans to stay as Prime Minister until a few months before the next election is due and will give sufficient time for his successor to settle in. In short, say six months before May 2009 i.e. he'll go in late 2008. What other possible meaning could his carefully worded explanation have?

p

Are you being serious here? You're telling us that Anthony hasn't changed his story multiple times on this? Oh I can't be bovvered (sic) ;)

Personally I want Anothony to stay in the PM slot, which means Gordenron will have to take full blame when the ship sinks....

We will hear more on the "cash for peerages" issue shortly and if the Prime Monster is interviewed or "grassed up" by Lord "no comment"Levy he will be ousted.

Watch this space

We will hear more on the "cash for peerages" issue shortly and if the Prime Monster is interviewed or "grassed up" by Lord "no comment"Levy he will be ousted.

Watch this space

Dream on!

p

Are you being serious here? You're telling us that Anthony hasn't changed his story multiple times on this? Oh I can't be bovvered (sic) ;)

Personally I want Anothony to stay in the PM slot, which means Gordenron will have to take full blame when the ship sinks....

Tony wants to stay on a bit longer because he and GW Bush have got something BIG planned.......IRAN.....the next war

What other possible meaning could his carefully worded explanation have?

p

Absolutely anything. The man is a serial liar. How can you speak up all the time for this shower? Several family members were fiercely pro-labour for years, now they detest them.

You must be on the gravy train?

Hey folks, reality time. If Tony Bliar holds on long enough, Gordon Boom will be UNABLE to become PM!

So it's hold onto your hats for Prime Minister Johnson - then Cameron :o

I agree. But in some countries, like Germany, there has been restraint. We could have avoided the HPI-MEW bubble from becoming a monster had lending restrictions remained in place. Sensible multiples based on actual, not declared, income. Taxes on multiple homes and BTLs when a housing shortage is evident. Ban IO and baloon mortgages. And so forth.

But you are right about the UK mimicking the other bubble markets who will suffer the same fate as the IMF pointed out well over a year ago. We went up together and we go down together. The US seems to be leading the way and the consequences will include a rather nasty recession. I am expecting this next housing bust to be long, sharp and painful. There is no way Tony want to take the blame and IMO that is why he wants Gordon at the helm as the boat begins to sink.

German 'austerity' has served them well...looks like an attractive country to live in...from the outside. :)

German 'austerity' has served them well...looks like an attractive country to live in...from the outside. :)

We went to Germany a few weeks ago on a weekent break and was pleasantly surprised. For a country struggling with re-unification, the Euro and associated problems, it was in remarkably good condition.

The public transport system was excellent, the town we went to was clean, friendly and vibrant (Lubeck) and they were just celebrating the opening of the new high speed railway station in the centre of Berlin. House prices are far less that here, they have had little inflationary pressures for the last 10 years and people seemed to have a pride that is sadly lacking in this country.

From the inside, it also looks like a good country to live in.

The old bill might have something to say about Tony's job prospects once he's back from his hols... we can but hope.

I suspect there will be a challenge to him if he stays more than 12 months.

and watch as Brown the Patsy is hung out to dry...

:) and he thought he had it all sown up..

Ahhha..

He will become the most reviled man in history.. and watch as those not so bright claim to have seen this all the way.

Which part of:

p

isn't bliar trying desperately to define some sort of 'legacy'? :lol:

anyway why do you care any more - it looks like you might be getting laid off... :P

http://politics.guardian.co.uk/labour/stor...1835406,00.html

Several family members were fiercely pro-labour for years, now they detest them.

How many times have we heard this Tory Central Office invented propaganda? If all these alleged 'relatives' ever existed, Labour would have been in power for decades with parliamentary majorities of hundreds!

Instead, Labour just scraped back into power ;) a few months ago with a majority of only about 150 (that's one hundred and fifty) over the next nearest party. Polls show that, subject to Tory fortunes holding up (that's right, holding UP) Labour will be back again at the next election with an overall majority.

Sorry SB, but these invented former Labour supporters don't exist. The figures prove it.

p

anyway why do you care any more - it looks like you might be getting laid off... :P

http://politics.guardian.co.uk/labour/stor...1835406,00.html

Sorry to disappoint you Gaskett but, no, I don't work for any political party.

Do you think that all the people who put Labour back in office just a few months ago with a majority of over 150 seats over the Tories worked for the party?

I think the introduction of some realism into the discussions on here is welcome. After all, the balance of political views on this board is pretty unrepresentative when compared with the real world outside. Could it be because the bulk of contributors are whining Daily Mail-reading failures who can't afford to buy their own home? Just a thought.

p

Which part of:

p

If he goes six months before the next general election then it's not a full term and contradicts the first quote. So how can that be described as clear?

I think the introduction of some realism into the discussions on here is welcome. After all, the balance of political views on this board is pretty unrepresentative when compared with the real world outside. Could it be because the bulk of contributors are whining Daily Mail-reading failures who can't afford to buy their own home? Just a thought. p

I always find that resorting to petty insults when you don't have a leg to stand on is very helpful and adds to the debate. An excellent example of this is Tony Blair.

If he can't make this strategy work anymore - AND HE IS THE GURU OF SPIN - then I would try a different style of debate. Just a thought...

Now how many seats did he lose in this election?

Oh dear...

Edited by Badlad1967

I think it would be a very curious situation if a heavily indebted public, in danger of losing their jobs, and finding it diffucult to understand why we know have several million illegal immigrants in the country, would vote in for another term someone who is internationally renowned for being a Zombie to Bush and his Global Crusade Policy.

For most people the cat is out of the bag, as with all previous Labour Parties to run the country it is now on its knees, bankrupt, heavily dependent on support from the US, and completely disgraced and despised by the wider world with regard to foreign policy,human rights.

The Labour party are now unelectable, they are without direction and every day they stay in power only serves to make the situation worse.

We live in hope that Blair will be hauled before the relevent authorities and answer the charges in the international courts.

Joke of the day from Patprimer. "Sorry to disappoint you Gaskett but, no, I don't work for any political party."

Every post this biased individual has made defends Labour and their appalling record to the hilt. Patprimer, you are a muppet Labour troll. You know it, we know it. Now pxxs off back to Labour party headquarters to kiss Blair's ****.