House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
centrallondon

When Will Our Savings Rates Go Up ?

Is there any indication yet of a bank increasings it's savings rate.

I ******ing hate the nationwide and intend to move ! :ph34r:

Depends. I've had my mortgage with Nationwide for the last 5 years and no probs. Went in today and moved to another fixed deal (5.18% for 10 years) and the rate was unadjusted since Thursday. After I had signed everything, I asked why no increase from 5.18% since rates went up on Thursday, and the agent admitted they'd already taken that into account over the last few months (they were offering 4.79% about 2-3 months back).

Depends. I've had my mortgage with Nationwide for the last 5 years and no probs. Went in today and moved to another fixed deal (5.18% for 10 years) and the rate was unadjusted since Thursday. After I had signed everything, I asked why no increase from 5.18% since rates went up on Thursday, and the agent admitted they'd already taken that into account over the last few months (they were offering 4.79% about 2-3 months back).

I haven't noticed any of the banks I've got savings with taking the recent rise into account about 2-3 months back.

Why is that?

(rhetorical dumb question btw)

I'm with FirstDirect, I mailed them today to ask them, pointing out I wasn't shy when it comes to moving money to other organisations to get the best rate.

I would like to move to ICICI bank, but this malarky about them not being signed up to some bank code makes me kinda nervous.

I'm with FirstDirect, I mailed them today to ask them, pointing out I wasn't shy when it comes to moving money to other organisations to get the best rate.

I would like to move to ICICI bank, but this malarky about them not being signed up to some bank code makes me kinda nervous.

I'm sick of the banks. We are paying for the bad debt of the ******witts while they wait to raise.

I think ICICI is an Indian high street bank but you never can tell :unsure:

Once a uk bank increases to 5.00 I'm moving all my money out of the Nationwide. 4.55

Saying that I may split my savings with 30 K in each bank to be safe :lol:

I'm sick of the banks. We are paying for the bad debt of the ******witts while they wait to raise.

Once a uk bank increases to 5.00 I'm moving all my money out of the Nationwide. 4.55

To be fair to the Nationwide, while their savings rates might not be best in market, they are rarely far off it and I have seen many comparisons that show their long-term averages to be the best. Many other banks put a tempting market-beating rate on for a few months to tempt switchers then quietly let it drift down...

I have an account with ICICI and they are fine. ICICI is covered by the usual regulations. You are safe to invest the same amount as in any UK bank you are protected by compensation from the FSA. "ICICI Bank UK Ltd is a member of the Financial Services Compensation Scheme established under the Financial Services and Market Act 2000. The scheme affords 100% protection to the first £2000 of a depositor's total deposits with the Bank and 90% of the next £33,000 amounting to a maximum payout of £31,700. The scheme covers deposits made with offices of the Bank within the European Economic Area and applies to deposits in all currencies."

I also emailed nationwide last week about the savings rates and have yet to recieve a reply, they are damn cheeky. A few months back they reduced all the savings rates even though the base rate had not moved. Annoying!

Edited by Spoony

Didn't ING actually reduce their rate a few months ago as they were expecting a rate cut? Bet the shit stains only put it back up to what it was then, if at all.

centrallondon,

You need to keep a constant eye on the rates and deals available online and the papers all the time. A lot of the best deals are limited quotas and go quickly, you need to move the money around and not expect exisitng rates to automatically rise with rate changes. A pain, but that is the reality of the situation. £30k lumps max is a sensible move.

Fixed rate 1 year bonds are not bad - quite a few over 5%, but obviously with the tie in period.

http://money.guardian.co.uk/saving/deposit...1797482,00.html

Edited by OnlyMe

Nationwide , OVERALL are one of the best savings providers going , always up with the front runners with cash isa's , kids accounts etc , they have a e-savings account at the mo thats very competive , REMEMBER they are mutual , no shareholders to pay .

ING direct have a 6 month fixed rate bond at 5.1 % , try beating that .

ICICCI , advertise the best rate but i don't care what there banking code is i don't want my dough in some bank in Bombay , and what do we really know about them , and i've read of problems to do with them .

AIB - 5.45%. ;-) It is a year though.

http://www.moneyfacts.co.uk/savings/bestbu...ings_fixed.aspx

Having said that ING have been the most professional/usable online service of the ones that I've tried.

ONLY ME , yes but i would rather have the 6 months , as thats not to far away and then assess the situation then and see whats around , as i think 5.1% for a 6 month tie in it is still gonna be the best for the next few months .

HERITABLE BANK :lol: never heard of them .