House Price Crash Forum
padders

$us Dollar Savings Account

Any suggestions on opening a savings account in the US, preferably if at all possible without having to go there. I have a Bank of America account I set out while I was out there but the savings account on that is a lovely 0.5%.

Any thoughts on this or are there any $US accounts based in the UK with decent interest rates?

Thanks.

I have been told of the rubbish savings rates in the US. I don't quite understand this when their base rate is higher than hours.

Can anyone suggest any savings type of a/c that can be opened, whether it's in the US by a US resident or offshore.

You would have to be insane to hold USA Dollars.

The Dollar is about to go under in the next year.

Yep, that's what I've heard too.

I had a Nationwide dollar account a while back. Crap interest (as with nearly all currency accounts) and $25 per cheque to pay in. Waste of time unless you really need one

Well I'm looking to move to the US in 2-4 years time. I thought it wouldnt hurt to transfer some of my small STR fund into dollars whilst the pound is very high against the dollar (can it really get any higher than $2:£1?). I have a cousin who lives there who could open an a/c in her name if needed and hold some of my cash - except she doesnt know any good savings rates off hand and is not up on anything financial.

Can the US$ really go under like that? The worlds biggest economy? There are other currencies linked to the US$ too. The world is finished if the US$ goes under. I have alot of money in HK$ too, should I get out of HK$!?

Thanks in advance for further views.

Well I'm looking to move to the US in 2-4 years time. I thought it wouldnt hurt to transfer some of my small STR fund into dollars whilst the pound is very high against the dollar (can it really get any higher than $2:£1?). I have a cousin who lives there who could open an a/c in her name if needed and hold some of my cash - except she doesnt know any good savings rates off hand and is not up on anything financial.

Can the US$ really go under like that? The worlds biggest economy? There are other currencies linked to the US$ too. The world is finished if the US$ goes under. I have alot of money in HK$ too, should I get out of HK$!?

Thanks in advance for further views.

Bert good idea to do this especially if you are planning to move there. HSBC direct offers an internet based US account at 5.1%. Also check out netbank.com and flag bank.

Bert good idea to do this especially if you are planning to move there. HSBC direct offers an internet based US account at 5.1%. Also check out netbank.com and flag bank.

Thanks just about to open an $ online saver @ 5.05% with exchange rate @ £1:$1.82

It was closer to £1:$2 a few weeks ago; will it go back up or is 1.82 the best I'm going to get? <_<

Thanks.