House Price Crash Forum
enworb

Philosophy Of A Bear

After yesterdays IR rise I can understand the bears elation. Even though I don't think it will cause a correction, they do so they should feel happy.

But of course they aren't content. Now they've tasted a tiny piece of glee thinking that home owners will all sell up causing a hpc, they want more, they want more...much more.

And so the latest wish is for a recession. Never mind that the £ is worth so much more everywhere else in the world. Or that their jobs are far safer now than they would be should there be a recession.All in all, very good for a vast majority of the UK population.

Aren't they getting just a little too extreme in their bid to be homeowners yet they don't seem to appreciate (or admit) that others do and are doing so. Which is precisely why there will not be a hpc.

Guest absolutezero

After yesterdays IR rise I can understand the bears elation. Even though I don't think it will cause a correction, they do so they should feel happy.

But of course they aren't content. Now they've tasted a tiny piece of glee thinking that home owners will all sell up causing a hpc, they want more, they want more...much more.

And so the latest wish is for a recession. Never mind that the £ is worth so much more everywhere else in the world. Or that their jobs are far safer now than they would be should there be a recession.All in all, very good for a vast majority of the UK population.

Aren't they getting just a little too extreme in their bid to be homeowners yet they don't seem to appreciate (or admit) that others do and are doing so. Which is precisely why there will not be a hpc.

You really do talk out of your ****, don't you?

WHY ARE YOU HERE ON THIS SITE?!

Can't you set one up called 'up up and away (with the fairies)' or something?

I'm one of the third category..I can buy a house but I don't want to.

I'm not stupid buying a shoebox wit a towel size garden for a fortune....I just sit on my money and wait....

Edited by Monopoly

Some good points

Some of the comments posted yesterday really do show how detached from reality some of the bears are. Indeed, it actually concerns me that some of the posters are free to walk the streets ("death to financial advisors," etc). This detachment is precisely why so many have failed to predict the direction the market has taken.

They scoffed when BTLers said they were "in it for the long term", and then were baffled that this set didn't rush to sell in 2005. They repeatedly said that "nobody could afford to get on the ladder," and ignored the fact that people were doing just that. The most ridiculous claim of all was that sentiment alone would crash the market; as though house prices would go into free fall with no external factors coming in to play. :P

Fortunately, the bears will be protected from the impact of any recession.

* Those around them may lose their jobs, but not them

* Interest rates will rocket to 10 per cent and beyond, but this will make their mortgages thoroughly affordable (assuming they can get a loan in such circumstances) :D

* Having spectacularly failed to make any sort of headway during an economic golden age, they will miraculously prosper once the cleansing recession has wiped away "the dross" from the economy :D

some drivel...

f#ck me - you come on this site with your poxy BTL in Slough (of all places :lol: ) and think you are warren soddin' buffett.

go and screw yourself you pointless waste of DNA.

Edited by gasket37

Dude,

You think everyones jobs are safe?

You think the strong £ is great news?

Doesn't matter who you want to blame, the UK is in trouble. Don't just listen to what you're told, actually think and evaluate it.

You no doubt believe that inflation is 2.5% and that the UK economy is undergoing a recovery?

Wake up and smell the bull$hit, its plenty strong enough to get your attention surely.

AFP

The reason people are buying is because banks are lending irresponsibly. No room for rate rises mentality. It WILL end in tears.

I just sit on my money and wait....

... and wait, and wait and wait.

WHY ARE YOU HERE ON THIS SITE?!

Mags - this is a discussion forum, not a group-hug for the gloomy

We are in a recession.

Have been since 2003.

Paying the way out of it with mew makes the recession worse.

If the government changed the way they measured height you would not become 8 foot tall.

Anyone here can buy a house.

The IMF have told us not to.

And prices are coming down across most of Britain *(by area, according to the land registry)

Not many realise that they can't afford to pay for the house they have bought.

Exponential rises in bankrupsies (spell..)

You are a home owner when you pay of your mortgage not when you take it out.

Fact.

f#ck me - you come on this site with your poxy BTL in Slough (of all places :lol: ) and think you are warren soddin' buffett.

go and screw yourself you pointless waste of DNA.

:o a bit strong for you that, Gasket me old mucker!

(totally justified though) ;)

I totally agree. People are buying and selling homes, FTB's are buying, both myself and my flatmate have done in the past year, there isnt a flood to sell property, many people are more secure and have smaller mortgages than bears seem to think but to say different is somehow heresyy. No grown up debate here today.

We are in a recession.

Have been since 2003.

You mean Keynesian economics doesn't work?

If the government changed the way they measured height you would not become 8 foot tall.

What does that have to do with the price of fish (or houses)? And it would if they redefined a foot to be a bit less than it is currently.

The IMF have told us not to.

And prices are coming down across most of Britain *(by area, according to the land registry)

Not many realise that they can't afford to pay for the house they have bought.

You are a home owner when you pay of your mortgage not when you take it out.

Fact.

Umm, I think you'll find the legal position is that you own your home, but you have a large debt secured against it. The bank never 'own' your home unless you fail to keep up with repayments and it is repossessed. Otherwise you'd have to call up the bank for permission if you wanted to repaint your lounge... :ph34r:

We are in a recession.

Have been since 2003.

What on earth makes you think we are in a recession; growth has been continuous and there were (in June) a record number of people in employment.

So affordability isn't an issue, then? I thought the lack of affordability was going to kill the market?

Exponential? Really? :huh:

Edited by Europa

I'm one of the third category..I can buy a house but I don't want to.

I'm not stupid buying a shoebox wit a towel size garden for a fortune....I just sit on my money and wait....

A strategy some started in 2002.

What will you do if prices don't fall by, say, 5 years time?

He doesn't need prices to fall, just for the return on his investments (minus the cost of renting) to be greater than the increase in price of the house he wants. Low HPI might be sufficient if he's invested wisely. :ph34r:

What a lot of these bears dont realise is that in a recession, credit and lending criteria tighten and they will be even less likely to be able to afford their own home, not more likely ! However inflation may be higher so the value of the absolute debt will be lower for those who already do own a home.

Some of these kids on here are just howling at the moon. They crave a recession and take glee in any economic indicator which shows things may be looking bleak for people who have worked hard to scrimp and save and do the best by their families, whilst thinking their own position would be so secure in a recession that their hard saved nest egg (if they have one) and job would be safe - woolly headed thinking or what?!

What a lot of these bears dont realise is that in a recession, credit and lending criteria tighten and they will be even less likely to be able to afford their own home, not more likely ! However inflation may be higher so the value of the absolute debt will be lower for those who already do own a home.

Some of these kids on here are just howling at the moon. They crave a recession and take glee in any economic indicator which shows things may be looking bleak for people who have worked hard to scrimp and save and do the best by their families, whilst thinking their own position would be so secure in a recession that their hard saved nest egg (if they have one) and job would be safe - woolly headed thinking or what?!

That is simply not true. Sure there will be a lot less irresponsible lending and in all likelihood 5x income mortgages will disappear but that's fine because they won't be needed.

It's not possible to get more than 100% priced out.

The fact that many bears are taking a very prudent view of the UK economic future probably means that when the lending criteria does tighten, they will be perfectly placed to get credit rather than less likely. Many are becoming totally debt free and building useful 'real' wealth, not just the paper crap wealth that most of the population feel they own in equity.

AFP

The fact that many bears are taking a very prudent view of the UK economic future probably means that when the lending criteria does tighten, they will be perfectly placed to get credit rather than less likely. Many are becoming totally debt free and building useful 'real' wealth, not just the paper crap wealth that most of the population feel they own in equity.

AFP

you'd think so, but it's a lot easier to get credit when you are already in debt - unless they change the credit scoring criteria, then you do worse if you have no debt and money in the bank - they actually prefer people who use their credit and owe money on it but make their regular payments....

Yup, debt free with a big deposit in the bank. Who would be a bear?

Me. If prices don't change then a swift exit from this country beckons. A tidy deposit will buy a tidy pad overseas, that prevents working just to pay off the mortgage. Burn peat for energy and eat home grown carrots for tea. Who really cares about money - you can't take it with you.

J

PS the above still applies if house prices do fall and we forget the fact that we live in a democracy - i.e. Gordon Brown becomes PM.