House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
House Or Home

Interest Rate Rise

One question on today's interest rate rise - will it be sold in the media etc. as being bad news for the FTB (or would be FTB) making it even harder to get on the ladder?

This certainly doesn't seem to be the view on this forum of those who are priced out, or like myself aren't prepared to pay an exorbitant sum for a house. How do we redress the balance of the spin on this, and point out that many would be FTBs hope HPI is kept in check and feel that IR increases are a good step forward.

One question on today's interest rate rise - will it be sold in the media etc. as being bad news for the FTB (or would be FTB) making it even harder to get on the ladder?

This certainly doesn't seem to be the view on this forum of those who are priced out, or like myself aren't prepared to pay an exorbitant sum for a house. How do we redress the balance of the spin on this, and point out that many would be FTBs hope HPI is kept in check and feel that IR increases are a good step forward.

If as a result of the rate rise a FTB is put off from buying then surely most commentators on this site would agree that is a good thing as we believe a correction is coming very shortly

Guest Bart of Darkness

A bit late for the mee-jah to start caring about the FTB if this is the approach they take (about 5 years too late).

I am starting to deplore the media and the way it tried to tell us what is good and what is bad for us.

This 'SPIN' government that we have are as close to facism as this country has ever been. I have said this for some months now.

EG:

The Crown Prosecution Service announced today that it will be tougher on crime and lenient sentences.

Government response: This is bad news for the prison service. If we arrest and jail people for committing crimes then we will just get over-crowding in our prisons. We already have thousands of immigrants in there (that should have been deported imho) and we just cannot take a tough stand on crime. Let them do what they want. If we toughen up, then all those Police that shoot innocent people will have to be found guilty of incompetence wouldn't they???

LISTEN!!!! IR's are NOT bad news for FTB's they are bad news for the FAT CATS that realise that their BULL RUN is coming to an end. If anyone says this to you - lay into them with some facts and why they are knobs for being 'sheeple'.

TB

Edited by teddyboy

If buyers continue to buy preventing a crash, yes the IR increase has made it even more dfficult.

A 1/4% increase won't stop those really wanting to buy, only the minority like hpc bears which won't be enough to cause a crash. Possibly it will slow down the rise in prices which if you check nationwide's website continues to go up on average.

From what I read last night and this morning (i.e evening post and metro) the slant was quoting hometrack and saying how this is "yet another blow for the poor old FTB... who will be forced to find another £16 a month on their 100k mortgage."

Of course, the alternative slant wouldn't be quite so acceptable to the mainstream: "this is likely to weaken the confidence of buyers prompting a slow-down in the market which in turn will lead to a number of forced sales. Ultimately this should result in an increasing gap between asking price and amount offered (assuming sellers are too pig-headed to reduce asking prices).

I cannot believe people don’t factor in when buying that bills rise and interest rates are at all time lows so they must surely rise a bit over time and borrowers should make allowances for this Its about time they added basic economics to the national curriculum else kids who are growing up now will know nothing of high interest rates and recession of the late 80’s early nineties!!