House Price Crash Forum

Market To Crash? Probably Not!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well ladies and gents it's been a long day and a business supper never helps things but finally I'm on the way home. If it's OK I'll leave the discussion topic until Monday as I'm a little tired at the moment but I will reply to the points raised. They deserves a proper reply not the half mangled attempt I could manage at the moment.

But to answer a few of the more genral bits and bobs -

Michael - sabdly yes, but after a rather disasterous September the cost rose further. The price we pay for family homes eh! 25% - probably a bit more bearish on this one now, but not much if we are talking 'enevitable crashes' rather than 'likely' or 'could go either way'. Not bull or bear? Then you're a realist in that case.

SfaSS - I'll give it a go but it'll have to wait until next week - it'd be interesting. Excellent topic idea.

JL - sadly he is still devistated but I believe through the worst of it.

dom - spent on the roof not the wedding!

TB - The Fleet market is a bit soft at the moment but that I guess is to be expected! Good properties shift, bad ones stick like superglue.

Well ladies and gents it's been a long day and a business supper never helps things but finally I'm on the way home. If it's OK I'll leave the discussion topic until Monday as I'm a little tired at the moment but I will reply to the points raised. They deserves a proper reply not the half mangled attempt I could manage at the moment.

We can hardly wait Minted.......for more of your ill informed bad advice that is.

:lol:

Minted - welcome back.

Its a shame you had to leave during our debate - I was enjoying it. There were 2 parts:

First question:

Name one INDEPENDANT economist who does not predict a crash (and has looked at the sector and made a public prediction) (back then you only had Tim Conndon - but even back then he was already predicting a 15% nominal fall - which if it happened over 7 years would actually be not much less than the 1989-1997 crash - although of course his position would be considered 'bullish' now).

Back when you were on the forum you still had all the vested interest 'economists' (i.e. marketing men) behind you. Now Barclays has broken ranks (which is unprecedented). Also many many more economists have now predicted a crash than before (Deutsche Bank, American Express, ABN Amro etc etc).

Secondly:

The other thing we were debating was some strange accounting method you had which meant that falls could be classed as gains - and I did not understand how that worked (i'm not an accountant). I would appreciate an explanation (I realise you weren't making it up as some other posters had heard of the accounting method you were referring to - but no-one could explain the magic behind how it made losses into gains).

Cheers

Bubble

Guest wrongmove
Minted - welcome back.

Its a shame you had to leave during our debate - I was enjoying it. There were 2 parts:

First question:

Name one INDEPENDANT economist who does not predict a crash (and has looked at the sector and made a public prediction) (back then you only had Tim Conndon - but even back then he was already predicting a 15% nominal fall - which if it happened over 7 years would actually be not much less than the 1989-1997 crash - although of course his position would be considered 'bullish' now).

Back when you were on the forum you still had all the vested interest 'economists'  (i.e. marketing men) behind you. Now Barclays has broken ranks (which is unprecedented). Also many many more economists have now predicted a crash than before (Deutsche Bank, American Express, ABN Amro etc etc).

Secondly:

The other thing we were debating was some strange accounting method you had which meant that falls could be classed as gains - and I did not understand how that worked (i'm not an accountant). I would appreciate an explanation (I realise you weren't making it up as some other posters had heard of the accounting method you were referring to - but no-one could explain the magic behind how it made losses into gains).

Cheers

Bubble

OH NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!

:o:ph34r::blink::ph34r::o:ph34r::blink::ph34r::o

:)

Bubble Trouble: I'm no fan of Minty but I'd be really suprised if he even wanted to talk to you after the way you behaved when his mate died, let alone resurrect arguments that happened over 4 months ago.

The last time you and he had a chat you really were pretty damn abusive without provocation. I seem to remeber some unpleasentness with you driving other posters off the old board with persistant abuse. I've never really made up my mind if you're a troll or not, you seem to swing both ways.

Whatever, the last time a discussion with you sprung up over things like these these threads happened Thread 1 and Thread 2, both of which then seemed to turn into a never ending flow of abuse from you towards other posters after a few pages. Apart from that they were pretty boring!

I think all the points were probably dealt with in one or other of these archived posts from the old forum which can be found here:- http://www.freewebs.com/hpcarchive/

Can't we just leave this alone now?

Minty: A word to the wise. I'd stay well away from him unless you want to get stuck in a never ending argument of abuse, there was a lot that went on after you left, have a look at the above links.

Personal Plea To Minted (can I call you that?)

Please minted. Please, please please do not get into that discussion with Bubble. Just ignore him. If you don't you'll end up in a bubble trouble circular abuse thread and you'll lose the will to live. We need more bulls on this forum, and we need them to have the time participate, so don't get sucked into that particular black hole.

PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND TO BUBBLE!

Oh no not that Minted ??

:blink:

You're not the one who claimed he was on £13,000 per month for being a Computer Operator Part time ??

Oh and bragging about being on the front page of "Carping Weekly" ?? (I kid you not).

Whatever happened to our bet - what was it ?? £10,000 ??

Yes, you and BBB are a Fantasy Match made in heaven.......

Guest wrongmove
Oh no not that Minted ??

:blink:

You're not the one who claimed he was on £13,000 per month for being a Computer Operator Part time ??

Oh and bragging about being on the front page of "Carping Weekly" ?? (I kid you not).

Whatever happened to our bet - what was it ??  £10,000 ??

Yes, you and BBB are a Fantasy Match made in heaven.......

BBB made some of us appreciate how balanced and polite Minted actually was :lol:

Thought that was Uwish ?

Please correct me if wrong - One does get confused at what bull (literally)shit has been spouted by whom.

Minted , I remember mainly for his debates with Bubble Trubble. Classics (for all those too young to remember)

Aaah Uwish - now there was a ...

I have never attacked Minted in any way and do not intend to start now - so don't worry anyone. I used to enjoy the occasional debate with Minted. We did not agree on things - but we had reasoned debates.

One of those reasoned debates was interrupted, sadly, by the tragic death of a colleague of Minted. As he said at the time (and I agreed at the time - and still do) - something like that puts these kind of debates into perspective. I never ever ever accused Minted of 'running away' from any debate. He has his opinions and I have mine - there is no point in 'running away' - nor did he (he is perfectly capable of arguing his case - as am I).

What I objected to was NOT Minted but someone else (who clearly wasn't around at the time of our last debate) who said that I had run away. I merely set the record straight (i.e. what I have said above) - and in the above thread I wanted to continue that debate (particularly the bit about the accounting technique).

Ginger Peas: by the way - the debate I had and you referred to had NOTHING TO DO WITH MINTED. It also had nothing to do with the definition of a bubble (although I was happy to explain why I preferred my definition). The debate was about whether I was correct or not that there had been a crash in the 1950's.

People abused and abused me for weeks on the issue - but it turned out the facts were on my side - there WAS a crash in the 1950's. I simply wantd people to appologise to me for the incorrect abuse I recieved - of course this just led to more abuse - and we went round and round in circles - with people like you who had no idea of the context jumping in and attacking what they THOUGHT was my position. Lets just stick to civilised debates.

Well it seems minty's return has brought out Bubble Trouble.

Bubble, let's just leave this one eh? It really isn't worth it, myself and alot of other posters tried to make you see how abusive you were being and failed. I doubt if it'll be any different now.

Let's hope minty will take Willings advice and just ignore any abuse/rant that you sling at him this time.

I might not agree with old minty's point of view but the man is a gentleman and really doesn't deserve your kind of abuse. A good shafting delivered by falling house prices perhaps, but not the nasty abuse you offered last time around when you got backed into a corner by him.

Lets just all make a new start OK? :unsure:

Guest wrongmove
This "MintedBTL" is not the same as "Minty" who was the one with the poor spelling. Go and look at the member records. They're two different people.

MintedBTL is from the old forum. "Minty" was his nickname. I don't think he hasd posted on the new forum until this thread. There was another Minty, but not the same person - I asked him.