House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest muttley

Banana Drama

You know guys, there are times when I think we are just not getting the HPC message across.

Bananas more worrying than rates: surey

:blink:

Hehe, I almost thought that must have been a 1st April article, but they have some serious Banana problems over there. 500% price increases in Banana's which have blown their CPI figures. If only that was the worst of our worries :rolleyes:

AFP

We don't worry about things like this in the UK, if something goes up in price, it is taken out of the CPI basket and replaced with something that has gone down in price; inflation is kept under control.

Move along, nothing to see here! :unsure:

We don't worry about things like this in the UK, if something goes up in price, it is taken out of the CPI basket and replaced with something that has gone down in price; inflation is kept under control.

Move along, nothing to see here! :unsure:

Strawberries have been getting cheaper due to E European supplies. They could take bananas out and put strawberries in--simple! No inflation.

Hehe, I almost thought that must have been a 1st April article, but they have some serious Banana problems over there. 500% price increases in Banana's which have blown their CPI figures. If only that was the worst of our worries :rolleyes:

AFP

Australia doesn't import bananas, because the neighbourhood suppliers don't pass the quarantine standards (there's a whole issue there that I don't intend to go into).

So when the Cat 5 Cyclone Larry scored a direct hit on the Innisfail region, 80% of Australia's banana plants were subjected to 200km/h winds. Most of them fell over, or dropped their fruit. So, until new plants are up and producing, bananas are going to be expensive.

More to the point, the politicians have seized on the banana price increases as evidence that the CPI increases are 'temporary'. Yeah, right, and petrol prices (which were a far bigger factor) are going to come back down next year as well :angry: .

Strawberries have been getting cheaper due to E European supplies. They could take bananas out and put strawberries in--simple! No inflation.

I have to admit that when I can buy 15 oranges for the price of a banana, the substitution effect kicks in for me in a big way :D .