House Price Crash Forum

£400 Single Surveys In Scotland By 2008

svag

HOLA441

"ONE of the most radical changes to house-buying in Scotland is set to go ahead when the single survey is introduced in 2008. This is despite the recent decision to delay the introduction of home condition reports in England and Wales and a less than successful Scottish trial of the proposed new system."

"Concerns have been expressed about the cost of the single survey which, on average, is expected to be around £400."

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/opinion.cfm?id=1114782006

About time is all I can say :)

HOLA442

They were too weak to get rid of Offer Over, which allows the cartels of solicitors to keep prices artificially high. Too many times I've heard people describe how they've put in big offers because their solicitor tells them it is a red hot market. Of course, they know that the next day another solicitor will be telling a client the same thing about a property they're selling. They're all parasites, and unfortunately at the moment there's plenty of blood to suck on.

HOLA443

They were too weak to get rid of Offer Over, which allows the cartels of solicitors to keep prices artificially high. Too many times I've heard people describe how they've put in big offers because their solicitor tells them it is a red hot market. Of course, they know that the next day another solicitor will be telling a client the same thing about a property they're selling. They're all parasites, and unfortunately at the moment there's plenty of blood to suck on.

Do you mean estate agents?! First I've heard of lawyers keeping prices high - its the agents on commission.

HOLA444

Do you mean estate agents?! First I've heard of lawyers keeping prices high - its the agents on commission.

Estate agents are a rare commodity in Scotland we tend to do our house sales directly through the lawyers. Whether they are any better than the estate agents is debatable but at least you don't get charged twice.

erhaps someone on the forum has sold/bought both in England and Scotland and can compare the differences for us?