House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
what

Will Last One Out Turn Off The Lights ?

Rather than wait for a house price crash i have decided to jump ship and move to Germany.

I am still amazed at how cheap house prices there are.

One of the main reasons is that if you buy a house and sell it within 10years then the government taxes you

on the profit you made. They also do that in China.

Just started working with graphic designers from Berlin, the new capital of cool it seems. Like property - much better quality than their London equivalents and cheaper too!

G

Rather than wait for a house price crash i have decided to jump ship and move to Germany.

One of the main reasons is that if you buy a house and sell it within 10years then the government taxes you

That's a new take on what they do here then. We tax you on the initial purchase and if property prices go down you don’t get a rebate. No wonder everyone trys to keep the prices high. :D

It's not all about property. I had german girlfriend for nearly 3 years and almost moved over there but knew that I would never be happy over there. It is a very different place to the UK.

I remember going into this trendy modern bar on a sat night, it was completely full of young 20-somethings and yet, totally unlike the same experience in the UK. There was no laughter, just a humming and mumour of people deep in discussion. The stereotype of the german is there for a reason. Most of them seem to want to prove that the stereotype is wrong by trying to be funny but they just aren't any good at it. Very sterile place in the most part.

I remember going into this trendy modern bar on a sat night, it was completely full of young 20-somethings and yet, totally unlike the same experience in the UK. There was no laughter, just a humming and mumour of people deep in discussion.

Miss the air of menace and sense of unease that things may kick off any minute at the slightest provocation that seems all pervasive in any UK city centre pub on a Saturday night? :rolleyes:

If it is a choice between "boring" Germans and tanked up, tooled up chavs, I'd take the Germans every time.

Edited by Phaedrus

I remember going into this trendy modern bar on a sat night, it was completely full of young 20-somethings and yet, totally unlike the same experience in the UK. There was no laughter, just a humming and mumour of people deep in discussion.

What, no binge drinking and fighting of a Saturday night. How gay is that!

Having spent about half of my adult life living outside of the UK I'm more of the opinion we are all Northern European's. We all love our rules and regulations, drinking and winter depression.

Miss the air of menace and sense of unease that things may kick off any minute at the slightest provocation that seems all pervasive in any UK city centre pub on a Saturday night? :rolleyes:

If it is a choice between "boring" Germans and tanked up, tooled up chavs, I'd take the Germans every time.

the city centre is the only place to go on a sat night is it?

I go out to plenty of nice bars and don't have to put up with what you are talking about.

it isn't just the 'bar' experience I was talking about anyway, a lot of germany just feels 'sterile'. And all the women dye their hair red.

the city centre is the only place to go on a sat night is it?

I go out to plenty of nice bars and don't have to put up with what you are talking about.

it isn't just the 'bar' experience I was talking about anyway, a lot of germany just feels 'sterile'. And all the women dye their hair red.

Drink and drive?

I don't find Germany sterile at all. It is a place of much diversity with a rich cultural heritage. I've spent a lot of time there and didn't notice a preponderance of red heads.

Me too. My fiancee is German and if my language skills were up to it I'd move over there in a flash. Personally I've not found the Germans boring, just more respectful of themselves and others. Might depend on which area of Germany you visit. I lived in Baden-Wurrtemberg for 9 months. Its a wine growing region, yet they consume so much they are a net importer of wine. Far from boring down there... :)

I lived and worked in Germany for 5 years in that time I didn`t see one fight ,no drunks rolling about and vomiting in the street,no drunken gangs roaming around the high streets looking for trouble and chanting like a load of football hooligans ,a lot of people in the UK today think they are the modern equivillant of Ronnie and Reggie,it seems to be very popular to get drunk or stoned act hard be as loud as you can,have tatoos and swear all over the place,that goes for male and females ,the young kids are even worse,they seem to have imunity from prosecution even though they have a string of offences a mile long,the police are just glorified social workers who seem more interested in their war of attrition on the motorist than anything else.going back to your headline, will the last one out turn off the lights ,this seems very apt for modern day Britain.

Guest X-QUORK

I was based in Germany for eight years from '87 to '95 and was married to a one of the natives for the last six of those years. I think Germans and Brits have much more in common than either nationality would care to admit to. The Germans do enjoy a drink, although they tend to wait for some of the big annual festivals rather than go out every weekend to get lagered up.

Contrary to popular belief they do have a sense of humour, but understandably they have different cultural reference points and therefore laugh at different things.

The larger German towns have their own problems with violent behaviour amongst the various racial groups, particularly between the Turkish/Balkan community and the German version of the BNP. These tend to flare up now and again rather than the usual Saturday night drunken brawls seen in the UK.

On the whole, I think the younger you are the more you might miss the UK 'night scene', but for anyone over 35 (ie not out clubbing every week) it would be easy to integrate.

As for the country itself, the North is much like Holland or Belgium, not very hilly but loads of attractive open countryside, whilst the south (Bavaria) is much more hilly and in the extreme south has the Alps. The Bavarians consider themselves a different nation (much like Scotland in the UK) and are great fun, although much more culturally conservative than their northern neighbours.

Good luck!

Just started working with graphic designers from Berlin, the new capital of cool it seems.

G

Why 'the new capital of cool'?

Me too. My fiancee is German and if my language skills were up to it I'd move over there in a flash. Personally I've not found the Germans boring, just more respectful of themselves and others. Might depend on which area of Germany you visit. I lived in Baden-Wurrtemberg for 9 months. Its a wine growing region, yet they consume so much they are a net importer of wine. Far from boring down there... :)

To be fair it was the Mainz - Frankfurt area and I think this is a pretty boring area in terms of countryside and towns are sterile places, I guess because the old towns were flattened in the war. It's just not an interesting enough area to live IMO Frankfurt is one of the most dull and uninteresting cities that I have ever visited. It was also probably because I felt land-locked in that central area. I like the coast and the sea and it was a long way away.

The south is lovely. I told my ex that I would move to Germany if she would move to the south, Munich is lovely and it would be great to be a short drive from the alps for skiing and mountain biking.

Edited by munimula

Friends of ours are German and lovely socialable people and they have a beautiful house in 2 acres and paid less than £100k for it. He still wants to work here though :rolleyes:

And as for Jolly young 20 year olds having been to Broad Street in Birmingham last weekend I didn't see many of those there either, just twats in D&G jumpers, probably fake trying to put their hands up the bride to be dress, spilling their drinks, spilling our drinks and then not being very pleasant when I suggested they should replace them. not like in my day :(

Edited by terrified

I've worked with a few Germans because my old company used mostly German machinery.

They do have a sense of humour but it's well hidden. A few beers (or 20) normally does the trick.

I haven't a bad word to say about them. I've only ever met pleasant, helpful Geramns.I can't say that about Englishmen :(

My one and only attempt to learn the German language eneded when I found out they have 3 equivalent words for one of ours.

Now i'm working for a Japanese company, which I actually think will be easier to learn, speaking and interpritting anyway.....maybe not reading and writing.

It's not all about property. I had german girlfriend for nearly 3 years and almost moved over there but knew that I would never be happy over there. It is a very different place to the UK.

I remember going into this trendy modern bar on a sat night, it was completely full of young 20-somethings and yet, totally unlike the same experience in the UK. There was no laughter, just a humming and mumour of people deep in discussion. The stereotype of the german is there for a reason. Most of them seem to want to prove that the stereotype is wrong by trying to be funny but they just aren't any good at it. Very sterile place in the most part.

Mula, I dont agree with a lot of what you post, but you are absolutely spot on the money with that contribution. Good work fella. I spend a lot of time in Germany with my job, and that is a seriously accurate assesment. I couldn't live there, the sterility of the humour and the sheer A-N-A-L (had to write it that way, it starred it out first time :o ) vibe of some of the place would drive me up the wall. Not to mention the dodgy moustache's and dungaree's which are still in fashion in certain corners of the place.

Great cars, on the whole lovely people, but no thanks.

Edited by billy-g

Dogbox, I think it's something to do with design - I was in London last week and the artsy crown I was with were raving about it - the quality of design coming out of Berlin, etc. Some were planning to relocate there.

I’m not sure why people think Germans and their humour are odd. It’s a big country and you will always meet different types of people and its easy to forget that they have to translate our jokes into German. It took my German (and very good at languages) girlfriend months to work out what she calls my ‘British style’ sense of humour. :P

I think Germans and Brits have much more in common than either nationality would care to admit to.

Perhaps more in common than you think..............

We're all German! How herr raising!

By ANDREW ROBERTS, Daily Mail

23:07pm 19th July 2006

One can only imagine the look of horror on Basil Fawlty’s face at the news that, under the skin, we are Germans.

For new research has apparently proved that most white males living in Britain today are genetically German, with Y chromosomes identical to people from Friesland, Holstein and Jutland.

According to Dr Mark Thomas and his team of biologists at University College, London, the Anglo-Saxons who invaded Britain from what is now Germany between the fifth and seventh centuries drove out the indigenous population of Celts.

The introduction of a system of ‘medieval apartheid’, with restrictions on inter-marriage, prevented native British genes from getting into the population. Indeed, this form of institutionalised racism was so successful that within just 15 generations, Anglo-Saxon genes accounted for more than half the male DNA in the population of what is now England.

Edited by gruffydd

Surprised with what you say about Germany. How long ago was it that you stayed ver there?

Similar to yourself, i have been seeing a German girl for the last 4 years and enjoy going over there. I know what you mean about the night-life, its not exactly the same but I wouldnt say thats a bad thing. Just because they dont get completed pi**ed and start dancing on the table followed by a brawl doesnt mean they're not happy or having fun.

I feel much safer over there in the majority of areas (ok, nowhere is safe but its better, belive me!) whereas over here i feel unsafe in most areas.

There are MANY better points over there than there are over here. There are far too many immigrants in 'our' country now, taking 'our' properties, while we pay for them out of our taxes (- but that is a different argument which sickens me.) Fair enough there many are foriegn people living in Germany too, but they have more space for them, and the foreigners generally have to work for a living rather than sponge of the taxpayers. Their govenment wont stand for any crap while ours are too spineless (basically this country is going down the pan).

Anyway - back to the point - Germany is a good place to move to. OK, things aren't great over there right now, but they are Geared well for the future.

It may not be the most exciting place in the world, but there are some beautiful places, and it is much greener than most people expect.

And X-Quork - you are right, we are very similar!

I rather like the Germans. Indeed if it hadn't have been for Hitler and his gang of Nazi thugs I reckon Germany would today be a superpower. The thing which cost them was the 'brain drain' to America, mostly Jews.

I've always reckoned the English to be near the Germans in terms of character - well they are both Angels and have an overwhelmingly Protestant outlook on business and morals; Protestant work ethic and all that.

We differ of course because we have developed a sense of humour which isn't of the 'slapstick' variety, we are self-depracating and have a fondness for small talk, like the weather etc.

Regarding German girls - Boy, they are attractive. When I was over there, so many seemed to be radiating health with tanned skin, blonde hair and toned bodies. No ladettes either - Bliss.

All in all, Germany offers a good quality of life for the would be emigre' and the abilty to earn good money.

Why 'the new capital of cool'?

I Must agree that Berlin is probably the city I have most enjoyed visiting. A really vibrant city with so much happening! One could never be bored. The architecture is amazing – not stuck in a time warp, and loads of new buildings, the cultural scene (art galleries, museums, theatre, etc) is excellent, shopping is great – more variety and better quality for the money, trains are on time, it’s CLEAN and on the whole, apart from a small proportion of exceptionally dour individuals, the people are friendly and eager to show you around their city.

I have some (very German – can’t speak much English) friends who live near Berlin – I have never felt so welcome on visiting them, and they have a great sense of humour!

The British sense of humour now seems to be preserved in the classic comedies in a similar way to a fly from the Jurassic period preserved in a lump of amber. My findings are that most British people nowadays are miserable and pessimistic people. The Germans might not have that traditional British sense of humour but they are more often than not pleasant friendly people unlike the grumpy Brits.

The British sense of humour now seems to be preserved in the classic comedies in a similar way to a fly from the Jurassic period preserved in a lump of amber. My findings are that most British people nowadays are miserable and pessimistic people. The Germans might not have that traditional British sense of humour but they are more often than not pleasant friendly people unlike the grumpy Brits.

In my last post, I should qualify my comments regarding the British sense of humour. This country, for better or for worse, has changed dramatically in the last 20 years and the same goes for our humour. There's no doubt in my mind that the golden age for British comedy was the 1970s when political correctness had yet to take a hold and it was largely written by working class lads as opposed to University educated ones. I'm afraid I find middle class 'humour' deeply unfunny :blink:

Our dear old American cousins don't get irony, which probably makes them so powerful as they don't have hang-ups about being superior.