House Price Crash Forum

Str - Where To Stash The Cash?

Basil

HOLA441

Mornin'.

A quick question for all you investment experts out there.

I'm shortly to be selling up and renting for a while - a minimum of 6 months; more like 12 months before buying elsewhere.

I am 'sympathetic' rather than zealous about selling to rent, though. I'm out of the housing market for a while through circumstance rather than market conviction, as we are moving to a new area with few 'nice' houses on the market and a need to tie in to school starting in September.

So- the upshot of this rambling message is that I will have £225,000 to invest for a period of around a year or so.

I've found Sainsburys online investment account will pay 4.75% instant access - it looks probably the best deal at the moment (unless anyone can point me in a better direction) and isn't dependent on year end bonus (which we may not get if we buy the next house within 12 months).

I'm rather nervous of equities at the moment, as they are rather volatile since Easter, and Mrs B will have bits surgically removed if I lose any of the equity.

Any suggestions?

HOLA442
HOLA443

If you're a higher rate tax payer (which you probably will be with the interest on that lot) i'd put the maximum in premium bonds (£30k ish).

Also fill your ISA, maybe get regular savers (if you can be bothered) and all the high paying savings accounts.

HOLA444

Real inflation is so high ATM (10%+) - no investment is giving enough return to even keep standing still

Persoanally, I'm putting spare cash into Premium Bonds - I might get lucky and escape this 'rat race'....

Edited by dnd

HOLA445

If you're a higher rate tax payer (which you probably will be with the interest on that lot) i'd put the maximum in premium bonds (£30k ish).

Also fill your ISA, maybe get regular savers (if you can be bothered) and all the high paying savings accounts.

I'm a higher rate taxpayer, so the investment will be in my wife's name.

What's the net return on premium bonds then?

HOLA446

What's the net return on premium bonds then?

0%-1000% - depending on how much you win...

...but you can get your cash back at any time and you get a chance to win one of two £1M (plus other ammounts) every month

HOLA447
HOLA448

Split it all up into several accounts , if you havn't got tax free cash isa's open 1 each thats 6 grand in total , with a main provider , i would suggest Nationwide , premium bonds are a option but the prize pool { interest} is only 2.9% it's a case of " do you feel lucky " B) , ING direct very large bank are currently doing a 6 month bond 5.1 % but you have to phone to ask as it's limited , only catch is don't touch the cash for the 6 months , i have openend one with them , they are very efficient , someone mentioned ICICI , DON'T TOUCH IT , i've read that theres been lots of problems with it , i mean do you want your hard earnend in a Indian bank ? Spread it all about it's safer that way , but monitor them .