House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
right_freds_dead

Council Responds To My 'your A Disgrace' Accusation.

recently i thought id visit the website of south ribble borough council to comlpain on their public comments page about how i didnt feel they were as sucessful as they thought they were. i also sent them an email asking how much they had spent of the public council tax budget on social housing, as the people cramped into relatives and bedsits were required by law to fund the council activities, yet got little in the way of civic services back for their money.

i accused them of turning their backs on the young generation of working families they had helped corner by not providing any form of new social housing within the last few years.

heres their somewhat terse response.

Council's don’t have to provide social rented housing.  Its done just as well by housing associations.

This council transferred it stock 12 years asgo and recycled the money from the transfer into building 400 more houses to rent.  It is as you say never enough but that is the result of people seeing their property as an investment and not just as somewhere to live (capitalism).

Housing associations in South Ribble provide excellent homes for rent at reasonable cost.  The council also provide assistance and support for people who would like to buy their first home but are unable to do so. 

We have a wide range of schemes but at the end of the day there is only so much that we can do as a local authority given that the housing market nationally is fuelled by people with money buying second homes as a pension back up and people buying to rent.

We in South Ribble are proud of what we are trying to do to help people retain and indeed keep their homes in this area.

Jan Bennett

Housing Services Manager

joebennett@southribble.gov.uk

after this i replied that, despite SRBC assurances there were now over 12,000 people on south ribble housing waiting lists, while the council only allowed the building of only 243 new homes for public rent.

i challenged them to return the council tax paid to the people they simply refuse to accept are under their care and to provide to me the total spend of the annual budget on social housing under the freedom of information act.

i will post any response i get.

its about time we took these councils to task over the disgraceful treatment of the young family taxpayer. how dare they increase local taxation, yet withdraw the local services they all previously enjoyed.

after this i replied that, despite SRBC assurances there were now over 12,000 people on south ribble housing waiting lists, while the council only allowed the building of only 243 new homes for public rent.

i challenged them to return the council tax paid to the people they simply refuse to accept are under their care and to provide to me the total spend of the annual budget on social housing under the freedom of information act.

i will post any response i get.

its about time we took these councils to task over the disgraceful treatment of the young family taxpayer. how dare they increase local taxation, yet withdraw the local services they all previously enjoyed.

but the 1.4 kids per couple that we are knocking out will not be able to keep these older generartions in their old age..

I am thinking prison style housing when they retire :)

but the 1.4 kids per couple that we are knocking out will not be able to keep these older generartions in their old age..

What - Sky TV and a free gym? Sounds too good for 'em... :ph34r:

Perhaps, when you ask for the numbers on social housing spend.

you might also enquire as to how many planning applications have been approved,

and how many private builds have taken place over the same period.

Perhasp, also,, as it seems they are aware of the housing problem, and its causes,

he could tell you what representations have been made to higher government to

rectify the situation.

Don't let him fob you off with blaming somebody else.

ABB

Edited by AgeingBabyBoomer

I think you deserve a little praise for extracting such an amazingly unguarded response from that councillor. It strikes me as the sort of letter that sympathetic newspapers could extract a great deal of political capital from ....

but there are no sympathetic newspapers, and this answer given was not a revelation but a whitewash.

the council could start to build tomorrow if they wished. i just wanted to let them know there all singing dancing website does not clearly represent whats going on in the borough. family life is very hard (impossible almost) for taxpaying under 35s and it needs to be challenged on a local government level - and now.

Guest Alright Jack

I just need to correct you there. OUR kids will be paying OUR pensions, NOT this older generation. So, the bottom line really is this. We struggle to afford to have a family of our own because of the size (not necessarily actions) of the current older generation. And then we pay the consequences of that too in later life.