House Price Crash Forum
munimula

Rental Anecdotal- Landlords Not Fitting Kitchen Goods

Trying to sort out a new place to rent in Bournemouth.

Have found somewhere that I like but the kitchen has no white goods, fair enough as some people have their own although I'd guess most looking to rent don't. However, this place doesn't have a cooker either. The landlord won't negotiate at all, refuses to put in these goods so that he isn't responsible for their repair.

Now this is one of the main benefits of renting - no repair costs etc. Isn't this going a step too far though as moving a washing machine, fridge and freezer is one thing but lugging a cooker around with you and fitting it is another.

Any recommendations on how to sort this one out?

1. Find somewhere else

2. Cook your meals on a camping stove

(you'll have to check whether you're actually allowed to do this)

Have found somewhere that I like but the kitchen has no white goods, fair enough as some people have their own although I'd guess most looking to rent don't. However, this place doesn't have a cooker either. The landlord won't negotiate at all, refuses to put in these goods so that he isn't responsible for their repair.

Now this is one of the main benefits of renting - no repair costs etc. Isn't this going a step too far though as moving a washing machine, fridge and freezer is one thing but lugging a cooker around with you and fitting it is another.

Rent somewhere else.

1. Find somewhere else

I'm looking for advice other than the obvious which is to find somewhere else.

In all respects the property is ideal for our needs and it isn't easy finding that.

The sticking point is basically the lack of a cooker. How hard are cookers to move about and instal (gas)?

In all respects the property is ideal for our needs and it isn't easy finding that.

The sticking point is basically the lack of a cooker. How hard are cookers to move about and instal (gas)?

electric cooker? Microwave?

If it is gas, you would need a qualified dude to fit it, and i'm sure the land lord would insist on this. Also, the land lord would need to perform a corgi gas test every 12 months to make sure it is fine (even if you bought the cooker I believe).

Seriously, I would just say I'll accept it if it has a cooker (elec cooker would be fine). It's totally impractical for the tenant to fit one. In a few months when the land lord doesn't have any tenants i'm sure he will give in.

If it is gas, you would need a qualified dude to fit it, and i'm sure the land lord would insist on this. Also, the land lord would need to perform a corgi gas test every 12 months to make sure it is fine (even if you bought the cooker I believe).

Seriously, I would just say I'll accept it if it has a cooker (elec cooker would be fine). It's totally impractical for the tenant to fit one. In a few months when the land lord doesn't have any tenants i'm sure he will give in.

those are the points I raised with the letting agent - can you fit a gas cooker yourself? She didn't actually know.

That's the problem though, if you have to get someone professional to fit it (£80?) and buy it and move it with you it's a pain that is likely to put us off taking it. So why wouldn't the landlord fit one?

Was also amazed to discover that Poole council tax for this property is £1100. Poole isn't exactly known for it's affluence. I'm in SW London and my council tax is only 15% higher.

Was also amazed to discover that Poole council tax for this property is £1100. Poole isn't exactly known for it's affluence. I'm in SW London and my council tax is only 15% higher.

It's quite well-known in the yachting world for being a jolly expensive area... maybe you move in the wrong circles!

We once got by for several months without a cooker, by using a cheap plug-in electric (double) hob (from Argos - 2 would be even better) & a microwave; might get tedious over a long haul tho..

Would think that even an electric cooker will require an electrician to fit. It's not just plugging it in to the socket as it is a high current appliance so has to have the right cable and the right length. If you are buying a new appliance tell the shop you want it fitted or your not buying.

Can't you still rent white goods from somewhere like radio rentals (showing my age there) ?

I would rent anywhere without white goods, if the LL won't maintain them, what else won't he maintain ?

Got to ask - whats the rent and how does it compare with similar flats in Poole?

The land lord is going to find it pretty hard to rent this place out without a cooker. It depends how long you can hold out. If you say you'll only take the place if he fits the cooker I'm sure he'll buckle before you do.

In the unlikely event he doesn't, then I'd walk away. It would be too much of a grey area if anything went wrong. You'd be fixing something you own (the cooker) to something he owns (the gas pipes) which looks like a minefield to me.

Got to ask - whats the rent and how does it compare with similar flats in Poole?

Yes - seems obvious.

The rent needs to more than compensate for the absence of those items (need to factor in repair costs as well). If the rent is at least £100-£150 a month less than a comparable place that does have a kitchen I'd consider it (those goods are pretty cheap to buy and if you ask for 0% finance in some of those shops for buying more than one product at a time you can sometimes get it). I'd still want to check out the legal situation and it goes without saying that the goods are yours!

Edited by Mags

Rent elsewhere or get a mini cooker - two rings and an oven. Veyr portable, no wiring needed.

No disrespect mate, but if the landlord is being this much of a dick, just imagine what else he

could do later on, to make your life hell!!

well, technically it's Poole but it's on the Bournemouth border and practically in Westbourne area of Bournemouth which is one of the better areas. It's hard to judge whether it's a fair rent. It's a house and these are gold dust in an area that is almost 98% flats. It's actually priced slightly cheaper (by £25) than equivalent 2-bed flat. I've offered £25 less again so perhaps would be saving £50 pcm over somewhere with all the goods. Is that enough of a saving though?

Not quite sure why you've started this thread this under "house prices" and not "all about renting" :huh:

cos this is where everybody visits and I wanted to get some responses.

it is relevant to house prices, the observation is that landlords are shirking their responsibilities in trying to avoid supplying the things you would expect to be standard - like cookers.

Are you always this pedantic?

Edited by munimula

Is the landlord foreign?

It's quite normal to rent flats in Germany unfurnished and without a fitted kitchen.

Tenants expect to fit a kitchen of their own choice and to take it with them (or dispose of it) when they leave.

Of course rents and kitchens are much cheaper in Germany than here.

If you are prepared to pay for the connection by a Corgi registered guy then why not go for it? My first flat in Westbourne had nothing- no fridge, no cooker, no washing machine, no shower. Me and my flat mates put everything in on the basis that the rent was so cheap.

Depends what feeling you get about your landlord- if he's giving off a knobhead vibe then it's going to be aggro- but if he's reasonable- and doesn't want to pick exactly what appliances go in then I can't see the problem.

If there is a 30amp feed in the kitchen you'd be better off going electric- hooking up an electric cooker is a piece of pudding. All you need is the correctly rated cable and to be able to understand basic wiring- if you can wire a plug without f@cking it up you'll be ok.

There's an electrical shed down at Branksome with cheap appliances and free delivery- failing that there's some second hand places up on Ashley Road. Alternatively the B&Q at Feetsbridge was doing some really top White good deals- stupidly cheap.

For the washing machine etc- as long as the feed pipes and the waste are in that's easy peasy too- even if you have to pay a plumber it shouldn't be more than £50.

Failing all that why not have a looksey in Southbourne- just as nice if not better than Westbourne and mostly houses to choose from

No disrespect mate, but if the landlord is being this much of a dick, just imagine what else he

could do later on, to make your life hell!!

that's the answer, right there.

Here's another thought b4 you tell him where to shove it. Wheel one of these into the missing cooker space.

0064.JPG

A few seconds mulling over the consequences for his decor should put his brain back in gear.

If there is a 30amp feed in the kitchen you'd be better off going electric- hooking up an electric cooker is a piece of pudding. All you need is the correctly rated cable and to be able to understand basic wiring- if you can wire a plug without f@cking it up you'll be ok.

.. then when you burn his place down he'll sue your **** off, seeing as his insurance company won't wear picking up the bill for your non-certified installation ...

Edited by Sledgehead

Many electric cookers now are just 13A jobs.

However, if the landlord is being like this now, just imagine how little deposit you are going to see back.... - seriously a safe cooker, a fridge etc. will cost him less than a fortnight's rent to buy and install. What is he playing at ?

And don't go fitting gas without a proper man doing it for you, there are lots of dead people who thought they knew what they were doing. Gas kills. Don't mess with it.

Mine recently said, when I said the storage heaters were very expensive to run that "They were never meant to be the main source of heating for the flat" :o:blink: WTF? sooo.. why the F**k did you avoid telling me that when I took the place on? He's lucky the rent is low..

Many electric cookers now are just 13A jobs.

many being:

152123238688355674673467447338438665919.jpg

Most hob rings rate at > 1kw each, x4

Then you have a top oven, with poss grill and a main oven, both rated 1kw.

That's an easy 6kw, or 24 amps .... stick that on the ring main and you are begging for trouble.

many being:

152123238688355674673467447338438665919.jpg

Most hob rings rate at > 1kw each, x4

Then you have a top oven, with poss grill and a main oven, both rated 1kw.

That's an easy 6kw, or 24 amps .... stick that on the ring main and you are begging for trouble.

Which is what I thought, till I was doing my research on new cookers last year and when I took our old Neff oven out, it was guess what, 13A..... talking to the kitchen fitter, many of them are just 13A on normal plugs now.

[i put a gas range cooker in as I get it fitted safely free (gas fitter in the family)]