House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Killer Bunny

Notification Of Computer Virus

PLEASE INFORM EVERYONE

It is better to receive this message 25 times than to receive the virus and open it.

Emails with pictures of Osama Bin-Laden hanged are being sent, and the moment that you open these emails your computer will crash and you will not be able to fix it.

If you get an email along the lines of "Osama Bin Laden Captured"

or "Osama Hanged" don't open the attachment.

This e-mail is being distributed through countries around the globe, but mainly in the US and Israel.

Be considerate and send this warning to whomever you know.

Please forward this warning among friends, family and contacts.

You should be alert during the next days:

Do not open any message with an attached filed called

"Invitation" regardless of who sent it.

It is a virus that opens an Olympic Torch which burns the whole hard disc C of your computer.

This virus will be received from someone who has your e-mail address in his/her contact list, and that is why you should send this e-mail to all your contacts.

If you receive a mail called "invitation", though sent by a friend, do not open it and shut down your computer immediately.

This is the worst virus announced by CNN, and it has been classified by Microsoft as the most destructive virus ever.

This virus was discovered by McAfee yesterday, and there is no repair yet for this kind of virus.

This virus simply destroys the Zero Sector of the Hard Disc, where the vital information is kept.

One can never be too careful. Just because it was posted as a hoax in 2004 does not mean this version is also a hoax.

If you get an email demanding that you pass it on to "everyone you know" - it is a hoax... it's a virus, simply in another form. They want you to go and send 50 emails and the next person to do so and so on and so on... :rolleyes:

If you get an email demanding that you pass it on to "everyone you know" - it is a hoax... it's a virus, simply in another form. They want you to go and send 50 emails and the next person to do so and so on and so on... :rolleyes:

Right, so this one from FP

PLEASE INFORM EVERYONE

that's a hoax is it? FP is having a laugh with us?

Oh you naughty FP, lucky for us this_prisoner_is_opting_out saw through your plan. :rolleyes:

I get these all the time from the hundreds of suppliers we have (believe it or not). Unless it actually has an attachment (in which case virtually any up to date AV software will pick it up) it is probably a hoax.

That specific one with the olmypic torch has been doing the rounds for ages.

I get these all the time from the hundreds of suppliers we have (believe it or not). Unless it actually has an attachment (in which case virtually any up to date AV software will pick it up) it is probably a hoax.

That specific one with the olmypic torch has been doing the rounds for ages.

You have hundreds of suppliers sending you hoax mails? What did you do to annoy them and can't you just say sorry? Change your suppliers maybe?

I think you miss the point, SoT. The person forwarding the hoax to everyone he knows doesn't know it's a hoax. The original hoaxer relies on the gullibility of people such as yourself... unless you're being DOUBLY ironic?

Edited by JJJ

You have hundreds of suppliers sending you hoax mails? What did you do to annoy them and can't you just say sorry? Change your suppliers maybe?

They are british suppliers, and they are w@nkers! (obviously they don't realise it is a hoax, but still copy everyone in their address book).

"This is the worst virus announced by CNN, and it has been classified by Microsoft as the most destructive virus ever."

I can confirm that Microsoft has said nothing of the sort.

I can assure you I posted benevolently.

I wanted you all to know, just in case...

Thanks for highlighting this FP.......even if it is a hoax.....I applaud you :)

The Olympic Torch email is a well-known hoax, but we do still see it appear in our logs from time to time.

The Osama Bin Laden pic, however, a genuine virus we recieved on 19th June (regardless of timestamp):

Sent: 17 June 2006 01:38

To: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Subject: Osama Found Hanged

Attachments: Article+Photos.zip; ATT110020.txt

Hello,

Osama Bin Ladin was found hanged by two CNN journalists early Monday evening. As evidence they took several photos, some of which we have included here. As yet, this information has not hit the headlines due to Bush wanting confirmation of his identity but the journalists have released some early photos over the internet which can be found attached.

CNN

The Professional News Team

We also received a variant of the virus a few days earlier:

Sent: 16 June 2006 18:28

To: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Subject: Do you recognise this person?

Attachments: Suspect photo.zip; ATT106707.txt

Hello,

During the early morning of May 25th 2006, a campus student was the victim of a horrific sexual assault within the college grounds. Eyewitnesses report a tall white man in grey pants running away from the scene. Campus CCTV has caught this man on camera and are looking for ways to identify him. If anyone recognises the attached picture could they inform administraion immediatly.

Regards,

Robert Atkins

Campus Administration

I believe they are related to this virus, released earlier this year: Link

Cheston

I think you miss the point, SoT. The person forwarding the hoax to everyone he knows doesn't know it's a hoax. The original hoaxer relies on the gullibility of people such as yourself... unless you're being DOUBLY ironic?

Sorry but I think you miss the point.

Assume I wrote some naughty code. What better way to get it home to the end user than to pin it on the back of a known hoax?

Then Joe public thinks" this is a hoax" and opens it , safe in the knowledge that they remember a similar thing was a hoax 2 years ago.