House Price Crash Forum

Interest Rate Domino Effect

HOLA441
HOLA442

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/5228684.stm

"Pakistan springs shock rate rise

Pakistan has announced a surprise interest rate increase of half a percentage point as higher oil and commodity prices feed inflation."

Odds on a GB rate rise starting to shorten?

This appears to be scraping the barrel, though I think IRs are on the rise in the Western world.

From what I see, the only thing Pakistan export are terrorists :o

HOLA443
HOLA444

Wow, this should have a major effect on world markets ...........

perhaps, of itself, not.

but it is indicative of a broader trend. Global IRs on the up. Another small thread in the rich tapestry of global financial markets. Innit blud.

HOLA445

Export Rankings, CIA World factbook

Pakistan

That's about 1/3rd of Israel's exports and 1/4 of Iran's.

Of course all of these figures are nothing compared to the US.

It is thought to be exporting about $1 trillion -- - of warfare to Iraq that is:

"The real cost to the US of the Iraq war is likely to be between $1 trillion and $2 trillion (£1.1 trillion), up to 10 times more than previously thought, according to a report written by a Nobel prize-winning economist and a Harvard budget expert."

Iraq war could cost US over $2 trillion, says Nobel prize-winning economist

As for terrorist exports, I recall, 9/11 was committed by Saudis and 7/7 by UK nationals. Many consider the attack of Iraq by the US to be an act of terror, so in that case, the US terror export bill dwarfs pakistan's total export figure.

I am unfamiliar with the legions of terrorists being exported from pakistan, other than those waging war in kashmir (kind of a high gear IRA/UK turf war thing - can't grumble really as it has its roots in the partition of the unified country after we, the Brits high tailed it out of there following years of colonial oppresion). Can you please give details. Cheers.

Edited by Sledgehead

HOLA446

This appears to be scraping the barrel, though I think IRs are on the rise in the Western world.

Hey!! That's mean.

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Don't forget the all the takeaway chefs they have exported to...

Hmmm I do like a good Indian. I'm feeling hungry now.

:(

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

can't grumble really as it has its roots in the partition of the unified country after we, the Brits high tailed it out of there following years of colonial oppresion). Can you please give details. Cheers.

Hate to break the news to you old chap, but India was only a unified country under "The Jackboot " of British Imperialism. Not before. And AFAIK, there were plenty of people in India absolutely itching for partition because many Hindu and Muslims absoultely detest each other.

We Brits "high tailed" it out because we were asked to leave and could no longer afford to maintain a presence there after bankrupting ourselves fighting an unspeakably evil tyrannt who posed no threat to us.

You can look the details up yourself mate, then you can stick them up your ****.

Cheers.

HOLA4410

can't grumble really as it has its roots in the partition of the unified country after we, the Brits high tailed it out of there following years of colonial oppresion). Can you please give details. Cheers.

Hate to break the news to you old chap, but India was only a unified country under "The Jackboot " of British Imperialism. Not before. ....

You can look the details up yourself mate, then you can stick them up your ****.

:blink:

Will you please tell me :

1 ) how what you have written, in any way refutes, or detracts from, what I have written;

2 ) why you are urging me to "stick [the details] up your ****"?

Following a lengthy sabbatical from posting, I have returned to find the board populated by utter morons like yourself, who seem hell bent on splitting hairs and creating strawmen arguments. I wonder whether you have ever considered donating your brain to medical research as you clearly make little use of it yourself.

HOLA4411

As for terrorist exports, I recall, 9/11 was committed by Saudis and 7/7 by UK nationals. Many consider the attack of Iraq by the US to be an act of terror, so in that case, the US terror export bill dwarfs pakistan's total export figure.

"7/7 by UK nationals". Really, well considering I, and many others, don't regard Moslems as remotely "UK nationals" that's debatable. The notion of waving the degraded UK Passport and claiming to be as British as those of Judeo-Christian origin is ludicrous. That said, I have nothing but praise for Hindus and Sikhs who have contributed a great deal to this nation and are preferable to much of the white trash around. Oh, and one can add the Orientals to the latter group.

I thought most of the London 7/7 and 21/7 terrorists were either of Pakistani origin or black converts; am I wrong?

HOLA4412

I am begining to think that a rate rise is getting longer. Inflation is clearly effecting peoples spending power and as wage inflation is hindered by our desire to be competitive and the weaking of trade unions -it may be that the demand in our economy is going to subside naturally. The MEPC/Gordon Brown know interest rates will only hasten a HPC they may wait and see if rising costs will slow our economy. Also higher interest rates will strengthen stirling that would only make matters worse

HOLA4413

"7/7 by UK nationals". Really, well considering I, and many others, don't regard Moslems as remotely "UK nationals" that's debatable. The notion of waving the degraded UK Passport and claiming to be as British as those of Judeo-Christian origin is ludicrous. That said, I have nothing but praise for Hindus and Sikhs who have contributed a great deal to this nation and are preferable to much of the white trash around. Oh, and one can add the Orientals to the latter group.

I thought most of the London 7/7 and 21/7 terrorists were either of Pakistani origin or black converts; am I wrong?

What do you think guys? THE most obnoxious racist filth posted yet, or does he need to add a "PS: nuke the ragheads."

Yes, No?

Edited by Sledgehead

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Forget smaller markets... Japan's getting more hawkish on rates by the day.

J

uly 28, 2006

INSIDE VIEW: Increasingly Hawkish BOJ May Raise Rates Later This Year

TOKYO (Nikkei)--A view is emerging in Japan's political circles and financial markets that the Bank of Japan's nine-member policy board consists solely of monetary policy hawks who advocate interest rate hikes more readily to tight inflation.

Those who support this view point to the fact that the board on July 14 voted unanimously to end the zero interest rate policy, the first time the board has decided to tighten credit by a unanimous vote since the new Bank of Japan Law took effect in 1998.

When it abandoned the zero rate policy in August 2000, two members opposed the move; when it lifted its quantitative easing policy in March 2006, one member did so.

"The end of the zero rate policy will likely end in failure at a time when the Japanese economy faces a number of risks, including a possible slowdown of the U.S. economy," Kozo Yamamoto, head of a Liberal Democratic Party subcommittee on monetary policy, told senior BOJ officials on July 26. "It does not make any sense that the policy change was approved by a unanimous vote."

One BOJ watcher said he was surprised that Tadao Noda, the newest member of the policy board, opposed a proposal to raise the base rate on the "Lombard-type" lending facility, or the official discount rate, to 0.4%, calling for a hike to the 0.5% level instead.

Noda became a board member in June, replacing Shin Nakahara, who opposed the end of quantitative easing and was regarded as the most dovish member of the policy-setting board. A native of Yamaguchi Prefecture, the electoral district of Chief Cabinet Secretary Shinzo Abe, he was widely regarded as holding similar views as the top government spokesman, who remains cautious on interest rate hikes.

But given the episode described above, Noda "is most likely a hawk" on interest rate hikes, the observer said, concluding that, "Nakahara's retirement has left the BOJ policy board without any clear-cut doves."

However, it is premature to jump to the conclusion that without Nakahara, the policy board will raise short-term rates again sooner than it otherwise would have. BOJ Gov. Toshihiko Fukui said that the central bank will not hike interest rates in upcoming policy board meetings, and this stance is shared by many other members.

There will unlikely be another majority approval of a further rate hike this year by the policy board because of lingering concern that the U.S. economy might slow down significantly, a BOJ official said.

However, the policy board's sentiment could quickly change if by autumn there is a growing view that the U.S. economy will likely achieve a soft landing, namely, slow down to a more sustainable growth rate that would not build up too much inflationary pressure.

The Japanese economy faces no risk factors other than the growing need for inventory adjustments in the IT sector. If its growth does not slow down in a way described in the BOJ's April report on the outlook for economic activity and prices, the hawkish bias of the policy board will likely come to the fore.

The government is expected to delay hiking the 5% consumption tax until fiscal 2008 or later. Similarly, it will likely postpone any significant reductions in its policy-related spending so as not to antagonize voters ahead of next summer's upper house election.

Under these circumstances, it is possible -- even probable -- that the BOJ's policy board, which is becoming increasingly hawkish on interest rates, will come to believe that monetary policy is the only option to prevent the economy from overheating.

Moreover, if the government is not likely to reduce its expenditures significantly anytime soon, the BOJ will be more willing to hike interest rates again. For this reason, it would be foolhardy to rule out another rate increase later this year.

-- Translated from an article written by Nikkei staff writer Tetsushi Takahashi.

(The Nikkei Financial Daily Friday edition)

HOLA4416
I have to agree with you sledgehead, yet another BNP voter polluting this board.

Yes and i'm another one you forgot to count.

The BNP now represent what a lot of British people think and that is british jobs for british people and to ensure the whole of England does not turn into another Bradford/ Leicester

Whats so wrong with that and if you want to ramble on about Hittler and gas chambers then save your breath as being patriotic is not a crime yet.

HOLA4417

What do you think guys? THE most obnoxious racist filth posted yet, or does he need to add a "PS: nuke the ragheads."

Yes, No?

Really, Sledgehead. What in my posting wasn't accurate? So 7/7, 21/7, 9/11, Madrid, Bali, Beslan etc &c were not committed by Moslems? Ok old chap, I get you :lol:

Can't be that much of a "racist" if I hold Hindus, Sikhs and Orientals in such high regard, can I?

Oh BTW, I see that a majority of Hindus don't wished to be called Asians anymore in case they are confused with Moslems - no doubt they're "racist" according to you? :lol:

HOLA4418

Please note people : how to ALWAYS be right:

Export Rankings, CIA World factbook

Pakistan

As for terrorist exports, I recall, 9/11 was committed by Saudis and 7/7 by UK nationals.

Really, well considering I, and many others, don't regard Moslems as remotely "UK nationals" that's debatable.

THE most obnoxious racist filth posted yet?

Really, Sledgehead. What in my posting wasn't accurate? So 7/7, 21/7, 9/11, Madrid, Bali, Beslan etc &c were not committed by Moslems?

ie:

movegp.jpg

try harder m8