House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
gruffydd

The Housing Crisis And Human Rights

And your point is? The various declarations of human rights all talk about the right for adequate housing, not home ownership. Unless you're homeless (which I doubt given the fact that you're posting on an internet forum) I can't quite see why this is relevant to you or to discussion of a HPC... :blink:

Wrong....

"Urges all States to comply with existing international agreements concerning the right to adequate housing, and to this end, to establish . . . appropriate monitoring mechanisms to provide, for national and international consideration, accurate data and indicators on the extent of homelessness, inadequate housing conditions, persons without security of tenure, and other issues arising from the right to adequate housing and providing insights into policy, structural and other impediments to the efficient operation of the shelter sector."

Affordable housing

Personal or household costs associated with housing should be at such a level that the attainment and satisfaction of other basic needs are not threatened or compromised. Housing subsidies should be available for those unable to obtain affordable housing, and tenants should be protected from unreasonable rent levels or rent increases.

"The States Parties to the present Covenant recognize the right of everyone to an adequate standard of living for himself and his family, including adequate food, clothing and housing, and to the continuous improvement of living conditions. The States Parties will take appropriate steps to ensure the realization of this right, recognizing to this effect the essential importance of international co-operation based on free consent."

etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

I think you might have a somewhat distorted view of the phrase 'affordable housing'. It means you can afford to house yourself and your family adequately. That does not exclude social housing or (gasp) renting. I'm sure that you whinge that criminals distort human rights legislation to avoid justice. You seem to be trying to do the same thing to justify government action just because you happen to want to buy property. I'm sure genuinely homeless people and those in abject poverty around the globe would be equally disgusted by your attempt to hijack their rights for your personal gain. :angry:

Edited by IamSpartacus

In response to your whinging response - No I don't complain about criminals distorting human rights legislation - I don't have a housing problem personally - I know many people that do - who is hijacking what? - this Web site isn't just about 'ownership'. You are the weakest link. GOODBYE!

"Shelter is today launching its million children campaign aimed at ending the devastating impact of bad housing on over a million children in Britain.

The campaign is being launched with the publication of 'Toying with their future', a major expose which reveals for the first time that over a million children who are growing up in overcrowded, unfit or emergency housing, suffer from serious health problems, poor education and have their future blighted."

Edited by gruffydd

In response to your whinging response - No I don't complain about criminals distorting human rights legislation - I don't have a housing problem personally - I know many people that do - who is hijacking what? - this Web site isn't just about 'ownership'. You are the weakest link. GOODBYE!

"Shelter is today launching its million children campaign aimed at ending the devastating impact of bad housing on over a million children in Britain.

The campaign is being launched with the publication of 'Toying with their future', a major expose which reveals for the first time that over a million children who are growing up in overcrowded, unfit or emergency housing, suffer from serious health problems, poor education and have their future blighted."

HousePriceCrash.co.uk. Read. It. Slowly. It isn't just about ownership, I never said it was. Its about the debate over whether house prices are currently at an unsustainable high and will suffer a sharp correction sometime in the near future. Hence, by posting an article about the human right to affordable housing I assumed that you were drawing a connection between the two issues. If that isn't the case, surely this should have been posted in the off-topic forum?

As it happens, I agree that in this country there are many people who live in terrible and inadequate housing conditions. I also know some of them personally. However, that has more to do with the standard of socially provided housing and little to do with house prices. The unfortunate individuals suffering from inadequate housing tend to be some of the poorest members of our society. Even if house prices crashed by 50% I don't think many of them would be rushing out to buy a house.

Please don't misinterpret my remarks as betraying an "I'm alright Jack" attitude. These are serious issues that affect our society and I care very much about them. I just don't think there is much of a link between these long-term policy questions of social housing and the current high house prices which have only occurred in the last few years.

Edited by IamSpartacus

"Human Rights" legislation was setup to decriminalise an increasing immoral society emerging in rich developed countries

It's well known that immorality/values drop as a country becomes richer - what are governments to do? - lock everybody up?

The legislation was not setup to help law abiding citizens....

Edited by dnd

"Human Rights" legislation was setup to decriminalise an increasing immoral society emerging in rich developed countries

It's well known that immorality/values drop as a country becomes richer - what are governments to do? - lock everybody up?

The legislation was not setup to help law abiding citizens....

I being overweight against your human rights?

(I'm referring to the fat bloke avatar you have!! :o )

Yesterday a chap was telling me that The Sun had an article this week about some mid-Western US states where the criminal re-offending leves were just 10% whereas here in the UK it is 70%. Some US jail chief put this down to the Human Rights Act and how it protects the rights of criminals more than those they have committed crimes against.