House Price Crash Forum

Same her in Bedford. Almost all of the 20 odd EAs are grouped in one street so it's pretty easy to stroll by and guage the activity. They are deserted - even on Saturday.

One agent has so many 'reduced' prices in his window he hasn't bothered to re-print the particulars - just scrawled the new price in felt tip across the old so it is possible to work out the percentage drop. Around 5% in most cases and since the latest figures show that vendors are only achieving 92% of asking price that looks like a 13% drop already.

Just another 27% to go....................

Same her in Bedford. Almost all of the 20 odd EAs are grouped in one street so it's pretty easy to stroll by and guage the activity. They are deserted - even on Saturday.

One agent has so many 'reduced' prices in his window he hasn't bothered to re-print the particulars - just scrawled the new price in felt tip across the old so it is possible to work out the percentage drop. Around 5% in most cases and since the latest figures show that vendors are only achieving 92% of asking price that looks like a 13% drop already.

Just another 27% to go....................

No Red Baron: Another 47% to go -- and they'll still be expensive... :P

And in case anyone says it's the time of year, when I moved back to London in 2001 it was about this time of year I visited EAs in W. London. The one I rented via did both sales and lettings. It was busy every time I went there, like the others I visited, so much so that on more one occassion I had to stand around till an agent/seat became free!

The contrast between then and now is stunning

All the evidence, RICS, mortgage approvals, personal observations, etc, etc, points to a massive slowdown in turnover in the housing market even if house prices are not yet crashing but merely sliding. But could someone explain to me why Countrywide's share price remains so high. Countrywide (biggest estate agents in the country) has made three profit warnings, the price dips after each warning but within a week it is back where is was before the profit warning. Strange. Any theories.

http://www.sharecast.com/cgi-bin/sharecast....cgi?csi=103971

Note: three profit warnings in the period covered by this graph.

Countrywide has a PE ration of 13 so it is not because bad news is already factored into the share price. In fact the share price is about what it was at in June when the housing market still "appeared" red hot.

All the evidence, RICS, mortgage approvals, personal observations, etc, etc, points to a massive slowdown in turnover in the housing market even if house prices are not yet crashing but merely sliding. But could someone explain to me why Countrywide's share price remains so high. Countrywide (biggest estate agents in the country) has made three profit warnings, the price dips after each warning but within a week it is back where is was before the profit warning. Strange. Any theories.

Countrywide has a PE ration of 13 so it is not because bad news is already factored into the share price. In fact the share price is about what it was at in June when the housing market still "appeared" red hot.

There's a whole thread on the ADVFN financial website about the absurdity of Countrywide's high share price. Lots of pepole, myself included are short of CWD, but it continues to rise. Genuinely baffling. Perhaps some vested interests don't want to see a high profile property related share price collapse?

I made the mistake of leaving my phone number with one 2 weeks ago because I wanted some more details on a property. Now they won't leave me alone, keep leaving me messages to contact them to 'talk further'. They have also invented some additional details about me (maximum price range, areas I'm interested in viewing etc.) all from a name, a phone number and interest in one property.

5 lengthy messages in 2 weeks, I haven't responded once. Last one today she said "if you don't contact us in 48 hours we'll assume you've found somewhere".

I'm willing to bet it isn't the last I've heard from her.

Mmmm why is the director M.C. Nower selling then.

http://www.investorease.com/deals.html

scroll down to date 26/11/04.

Walked past my local EA in Kentish Town, Camden yesterday 6:55 PM, after taking a leisurely swim at the local pool. I was amazed to see most of the EA's still sitting at their desks in an empty shop. I could only assume they were trying to catch some passing trade so they could put a turkey on the table at Xmas. Sorry but I think the're going to have to emmigrate to Bulgaria for some passing trade in this property market!

I believe around 40% of the Countrywide float is held by US hedge funds currently and they continue to buy. Indeed, one such fund filed a 13D on the company in the last few days. I'm not sure what they're seeing that we're not but if you want to understand the reasons for the well-supported share price, there you have it.

Too much short interest probably. A stock sold short is a support to market because it represents a share that must be bought back at some point.

Hedge finds may be buying in anticipation of a short squeeze (stock rockets higher as shorts buy back in fear). Time to short is after a blast higher. Easier said than done of course.