House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Civil Servant

Bbc Bearish Article On House Prices

I just spotted this by pure chance on the bbc site, not sure why they have it on there are there seems to be no article attached. Think they have one planned?

Anyway, I sent in my comments about how I cannot afford anything not in a slum, lets see if it gets posted?! :lol:

Edit: It seems like we both started a thread on this at the same time but I didn't think mine would work. Is there anyway of deleting my one?

Edited by sce8

i posted about2 hours ago still waiting

I think you're all rather naive to think that the BBC will post anything you send in. Remember that other article of theirs last week? Have they yet posted even a single message?

I think you're all rather naive to think that the BBC will post anything you send in. Remember that other article of theirs last week? Have they yet posted even a single message?

That was a comment box on an article.

This is the "Have your say section"... it's literally nothing but your comments. If they don't post any of them there's nothing to see so I think you can expect to see some comments!!

my feedback now added, lord knows when it will appear

look for Adrian, London or read the below - just about sums it up

--------------------

This is an abominable and wholly unacceptable situation, that our Government and all parties with a vested interest in the status quo should feel utterly ashamed by. I work very hard in a good job and still stand no chance of getting on the ladder under reasonable circumstances. This is affecting my ability to further my career and grow a family. Simple fact to remember -average house price is now around a hugely unrealistic 6 times average annual salary. You have got to be crazy to commit yourself and most likely your offspring to such irresponsible debt.

--------------------

my feedback now added, lord knows when it will appear

look for Adrian, London or read the below - just about sums it up

--------------------

This is an abominable and wholly unacceptable situation, that our Government and all parties with a vested interest in the status quo should feel utterly ashamed by. I work very hard in a good job and still stand no chance of getting on the ladder under reasonable circumstances. This is affecting my ability to further my career and grow a family. Simple fact to remember -average house price is now around a hugely unrealistic 6 times average annual salary. You have got to be crazy to commit yourself and most likely your offspring to such irresponsible debt.

--------------------

Excellent - concise and clear. Let's hope it gets past the VI filter!

Good luck.

Posted this

I am 31, earn £24k and work as an engineer in the civil service. I am a chartered engineer with an apprenticeship and a first class honours degree under my belt. I earn above average wage for my region yet with the average house price at around £180k I cannot afford even a small 1 bed flat. I realise that even if I over stretch myself to get on the ladder that because inflation is now low it would mean that I would never be able to erode the capital of my debt as happened in the 70s, 80s and 90s. This would mean there would be no hope of me being able to trade up and it would be unlikely I would ever manage to complete the mortgage. I believe this is partly why the National Association of Estate Agents (NAEA) has reported that First Time Buyers are at 7.9% or the total market share. I think that house prices are grossly over valued and at some point, as with previous booms, sooner or later it will correct itself. These prices are not sustainable in the long term.

That was for comments on an existing article; on the above page they're quite specifically looking for people who cannot afford a home. Maybe this one is the BBC looking for people to feature in a future article/story on being priced out? Maybe worth a try? Can't take much longer than posting on HPC!

Reading the article, the first question is "are you a key worker?" a term I find insufferably smug and probably what a lot of BBC staff regards themselves as.

It is not that I do not have sympathy with people who are underpaid, but the assumption that what they do is at a morally higher level to the non-key workers.

Funny how they are always public servants. Why are power station , waterboard, supermarket and bank employees not regarded as "key"? Try living without power, water, food and money and then decide what is key!

Rant over.

I remember being cornered by Thames TV in an estate agent one year exactly before the last crash being asked exactly the same question and appearing on the news that evening as a first time buyer no longer being able to enter the market.. Is it a sign, oh please say that it is!!!