House Price Crash Forum
sce8

Bbc Have Your Say - Are You Trying To Buy A House?

Just spotted this by chance on the BBC News site:

"We want to hear your stories about buying a house in the UK.

Are you a key worker? Have you had difficulties finding somewhere affordable to live? How much are banks or building societies prepared to lend you? Is it enough?

Do you work in a city centre but have to commute from miles away because it would be impossible to afford somewhere closer? Have you been forced to move out of London?

Did you have to buy a house or flat with friends to share the cost? Are you afraid that you will never be able to afford to buy your own place?"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/talking_point/5221742.stm

I've sent in my comments about how ridiculous prices are right now, lets see if it gets posted!

Are you a key worker?

I resent this emphasis. Presumably it means people who work in 'front line' public services.

I work for a private sector exporter, so I suppose thats makes me unimportant. We only give the £ its value, after all.

:angry:

Guest mattsta1964

i cant seem to find teh comments people made on the bbc site?

No. I can't find it either. I looked in the Have Your Say homepage but there is no link to this thread.

Nice one BeeB!

I resent this emphasis. Presumably it means people who work in 'front line' public services.

I work for a private sector exporter, so I suppose thats makes me unimportant. We only give the £ its value, after all.

here here

Yeah me too.

I outsource IT to various low cost sites around the world to keep us competitive - pretty key to the future prospects of this country I'd say.

I outsource IT to various low cost sites around the world to keep us competitive - pretty key to the future prospects of this country I'd say.

The UK programmers you're making redundant may think otherwise? At least key workers don't send money & skills abroad! Unless you're attempting to bring on a HPC through lowering everyone's wages?

Add a comment - this is our chance to be heard!

Youre having a laugh?

The BBC carefully "moderate" Have Your Say comments to give a "balanced" representation of government-approving "all" viewpoints

They also ban use of particular words - they recently banned users who typed in 'dhimmi' in comments - it was considered "un-islamic" by Al BBC

Youre having a laugh?

The BBC carefully "moderate" Have Your Say comments to give a "balanced" representation of government-approving "all" viewpoints

They also ban use of particular words - they recently banned users who typed in 'dhimmi' in comments - it was considered "un-islamic" by Al BBC

Is that a fact now? Can you prove it? If it is, it's pretty sensational. License fee boycott anyone?

Of course you could always misspell it 'dhimi' or something couldn't you?

This wouldn't surprise me with the BBC. I can never get a single comment published anymore so I think that my IP addess must be banned. I think they banned me after I filled-in their 'What would you like to talk about now?' box with - 'Something other than Muslims?'.

Note for any Muslims who may read this forum this was not intended as a jab at Muslims, but at the BBC's obsession with them.

This wouldn't surprise me with the BBC. I can never get a single comment published anymore so I think that my IP addess must be banned. I think they banned me after I filled-in their 'What would you like to talk about now?' box with - 'Something other than Muslims?'.

So use a proxy server or your local library. Otherwise, if you're on broadband your IPA should change every few weeks anyway.

Note for any Muslims who may read this forum this was not intended as a jab at Muslims, but at the BBC's obsession with them.

I agree with you on that, the BBC seem's to have an obsession with the Muslims and thats from a Hindu's point of view.

I like Andrew Stephensons post (even if he can't spell 'prices'). Seems the majority of posts there are from people priced out.

I love the comment from key worker Chris, who upped-sticks to move to NZ

would the last key-worker to leave please switch off the lightbulb!

Yep, the exodus of diversity compliance officers and disability out-reach workers will bring Ol' Blighty to her knees :)

Edited by Europa

Totally! Who pays their wages FFS! :angry:

The UK programmers you're making redundant may think otherwise? At least key workers don't send money & skills abroad! Unless you're attempting to bring on a HPC through lowering everyone's wages?

If they're being made redundant it's because they are not providing value. If you are a good programmer you will not be made redundant.

If they're being made redundant it's because they are not providing value. If you are a good programmer you will not be made redundant.

A thousand IT programmers have been made redundant at CAT, some of them must have been half decent.

What percentage of programmers are good?

Does Steve's job make a crash more likely with each job exported?

By reducing our cost base we have a full schedule to end 2008. Previously when only using UK based contractors we were close to all being made redundant. At least the best 50% kept their jobs (and they've had decent salary increases / bonuses).

It's a fact of life that everyone competes globally. You cannot halt progress. The progress may be mainly benefiting other countries economies but, frankly, that's tough.

Do you never holiday abroad? Or buy foreign manufactured good when UK manufactured are available?

By reducing our cost base we have a full schedule to end 2008. Previously when only using UK based contractors we were close to all being made redundant. At least the best 50% kept their jobs (and they've had decent salary increases / bonuses).

It's a fact of life that everyone competes globally. You cannot halt progress. The progress may be mainly benefiting other countries economies but, frankly, that's tough.

Do you never holiday abroad? Or buy foreign manufactured good when UK manufactured are available?

Yep, both travel abroad and buy foreign goods when we can't make things in the woods. It was just a question, not a criticism. Most economic activity in the UK seems to make people redundant to some degree?

Despite saving many more jobs than were otherwise lost, does making 50% of your programmmers redundant increase the chances of a house price crash?

Yep, both travel abroad and buy foreign goods when we can't make things in the woods. It was just a question, not a criticism. Most economic activity in the UK seems to make people redundant to some degree?

Despite saving many more jobs than were otherwise lost, does making 50% of your programmmers redundant increase the chances of a house price crash?

I'd say no.

The economy is always in a state of flux. One thing is certain though, trying to halt change only leads to bigger problems down the line.

Everyone must expect to be made redundant these days. I've been redundant twice. No problem so long as you've built in a safety net to give you time to find the next job without having to compromise.