House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
sam

Found A Wonderfull Place To Live Yesterday With Character

I was working on a job yesterday on a marina in a very nice part of the Country, the actual property i was working on was right next to the river.

There were also dozens of boats, and to my supprise many of the people who owned them were living on them.

I got talking to a few of them, and a few were only to pleased to show me around where they lived, most were barges, but not all. The barges were great, but to be honest i think that the shortage of space would not suit me. There were also these large boats that many had brought over from Holland, they were huge, and you just would not believe how comfortable and roomy they were.

I asked about the prices, the real big ones cost around the £40k mark, this has now got me thinking. In this Country now you get the most depressing crappy shoe box for £150K, of course you are really only paying for an expensive bit of land with some cheap brick and mortar sitting on it. Can any of you imagine what you could get for £100k along the lines of a boat, or maybe some other form of living accomodation where land is not so much of an issue.

I was working on a job yesterday on a marina in a very nice part of the Country, the actual property i was working on was right next to the river.

There were also dozens of boats, and to my supprise many of the people who owned them were living on them.

I got talking to a few of them, and a few were only to pleased to show me around where they lived, most were barges, but not all. The barges were great, but to be honest i think that the shortage of space would not suit me. There were also these large boats that many had brought over from Holland, they were huge, and you just would not believe how comfortable and roomy they were.

I asked about the prices, the real big ones cost around the £40k mark, this has now got me thinking. In this Country now you get the most depressing crappy shoe box for £150K, of course you are really only paying for an expensive bit of land with some cheap brick and mortar sitting on it. Can any of you imagine what you could get for £100k along the lines of a boat, or maybe some other form of living accomodation where land is not so much of an issue.

Thers loads of stuff on t'interwebs about boats

http://www.bowcrest.com/Latest%20Vessels.htm

I'd love to be me missus wont let me. :(

You can get old trawlers and stuff also

On the down side - no broadband.

Edited by jonewer

The problem is that you need a mooring. I remember reading something many moons ago about those in moorings complaining about the owners hiking up charges. They felt at the mercy of these owners.

I am not sure what rights you have if the owners hike the charges.

Living on a boat can be brilliant. I read a book called "Voyaging on a small income," by Annie Hill - and it honestly changed my life. She understands money better than most of us, and writes very sensible stuff about sailing the world on a shoestring.

Just to be clear, I have no VI in the book, I just love it and it is about living on boats, like this post.

As said above, residential moorings are rarer than chickens teeth, and, therefore, expensive. Buy the mooring first is my advice.

Living on a boat can be brilliant. I read a book called "Voyaging on a small income," by Annie Hill - and it honestly changed my life. She understands money better than most of us, and writes very sensible stuff about sailing the world on a shoestring.

Just to be clear, I have no VI in the book, I just love it and it is about living on boats, like this post.

I've always loved boats ever since, as a wee lad, being enthralled by Captain Pugwash. The 'Black Pig' was a wonderful vessel.......

I've always loved boats ever since, as a wee lad, being enthralled by Captain Pugwash. The 'Black Pig' was a wonderful vessel.......

... oh no, you've been on the sauce, right? Doubtless you are dying to regale us with all of those supposed homo-erotic references?

... is there anything we can do to persuade you otherwise? It was TOM the cabin boy for crissakes, not Roger-the-cabin-boy!!!!!

( :P )

Guest Charlie The Tramp

I have a 42 foot river cruiser similiar to this layout.

bp-sabre.gif

Most moorings will turn a blind eye to you living on board if you leave for at least 14 days a year which covers them that you are not using the mooring for residential purposes. My lad did this for a year with no problem from the owners. They will also give you mains hook up on a meter. They like having people about as it adds to their security. The cost to him was £1k mooring fee, £15 a month electricity, £180 annual river licence, and £190 insurance.

... oh no, you've been on the sauce, right? Doubtless you are dying to regale us with all of those supposed homo-erotic references?

... is there anything we can do to persuade you otherwise? It was TOM the cabin boy for crissakes, not Roger-the-cabin-boy!!!!!

( :P )

" Doubtless you are dying to regale us with all of those supposed homo-erotic references?"

Sledgehead, as a 9 year old watching the great Pugwash, I honestly wasn't even aware of it all!! Ah, those days of innocence :)

I once considered converting a railway coach to live in, as I believe some folk do. It was at that point that I discovered that the unaffordability of housing was actually down the the unaffordability of land, not housing.

I'd imagine the problem is that while a £150 shoebox might need the odd repair (sometimes major new room etc) it will last your entire life and beyond, I'd imagine in your lifetime you would need to replace the boat at least once and if not shell out for heft repairs once in a while.

Fine as a lifestyle choice but possible not so good on the financial front.

Not being a boat man I wouldn't know for sure however.

This can be a fantastic way to live, I know several people who do. However, you need to be really careful how you go about doing it, as there are many potential pitfalls. Yes you can get really nice barges from Holland, but anything decent is probably going to be 150k plus. Trying to do this sort of thing on a budget is probably a non-starter if you like your creature comforts.

Boats, can be like having classic cars, ie a money pit, but X 10 in the case of boats. Particularly if you can't do maintenance work yourself, as marinas charge the earth. There are issues in finding decent moorings for residential use, but you can find them if you are prepared to bide your time and look extensively. It comes as no suprise that a decade ago or less, this wans't the case. This appears to be the latest bandwagon that people are jumping on.

One main thing. If anyone even considers doing this, don't jump in at the deep end. Find someone you know and trust or who is recomended who knows something about boats. Never, under any circumstances buy a boat without having it surveyed.

I find it almost a bit sad though that the only way any of us can afford a home is to live in a boat- its a real sign of the times. I am sure its a fantastic way of life but it just depresses me that its got to this point!