House Price Crash Forum
Bingley Bloke

Emmigration – How Do You Do It?

Emmigration is great - I hve been living out of the UK for 'about' 18 years now.

I have lived in Kenya, Hong Kong & Australia, then back to Hong Kong & just about to move to Singapore next month!

Eventually - I will 'settle down' in Australia - which is a great place - but best if you have some cash to buy your own home, (which are much cheaper than the UK except Sydney of course), and then you'll live very well indeed.

I can't recommend emmigration strongly enough - Canada is a fantastic option, but don;t dismiss Australia, NZ or certain countries in Asia (i.e. Singapore etc).

Cheers.

Couldn't agree more.

Try a spell abroad and you will be able to put the UK and its house prices into persective.

I've been out of the UK for 7 years and certainly have no plans to come back until the house prices are a bit more in line with salaries.

Frankly - I wouldn't bother going back at all!

Although - the UK makes a nice holiday desination for a couple of weeks in the summer to be fair.

But you are right - living overseas 'throws a new light' in life in the UK - looking at the UK from a distance - it all looks like total madness!

Cheers.

But you are right - living overseas 'throws a new light' in life in the UK - looking at the UK from a distance - it all looks like total madness!

How very true, I've been overseas on this last jaunt now for 7 years in Belgium (before that Spain & Turkey). I now live in the high fens (yep, belgium *isn't* flat :D ), I'm surrounded by fabulous countryside, could be scotland really with the heather, thistles, waterfalls, pines et al. I live in a gorgeous house I couldn't possibly afford in the UK. I have a great job with good rights as an employee and the working culture is very strict about 9-5, none of this forced overtime malarky. Great healthcare system.

I do miss some things about the UK and sometimes I pine for a 24 hour Tesco, but when you consider the fact it's only a 4 hour drive for me to Calais and a short jump on the ferry, you'd have thought I'd have been back more frequently than I have, in fact the last time as 4 years ago.

I think I would like to return to the UK one day, but I'm not desperate to give up everything I have here and exchange it for a crappy flat in the wrong end of town. :( Long term I like the look of Canada, NZ, South Africa or South America.

Just wanted to make another point about emigration... Some people say they don't want to emigrate because "the UK will always be home", i.e. there's an emotional attachment or identification to the place where you grew up. Absolutely true and indisputable. But people who emigrate do so with it their heads, not their hearts. They are seeking better employment opportunities, perhaps a better (possibly cheaper) place to bring up their families. Maybe they will come to regard the new place as home, maybe not.

Think about all the immigrants here in the UK, be they Polish, from South Asia, the Caribbean, the Middle and Far East. Do you think they regard the UK as home in an emotional sense? If they came as young children, or if they came from a place they hated or where they were persecuted, possibly "Yes". But more probably "No." Which is why so many people go back to their "home" country when they retire.

It is important to like and be content in the new country to which you are emigrating. But it's not necessary to be emotionally attached to it as "home".