House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
north/south divide

At Last, A Refreshing Newspaper Front Page Headline...

Whilst stood queing up for a loaf of bread today I caught the headlines on the local rag 'Debt Soars in County'. When I finished paying I took a wander over to have a read and apparently bankrupcies have reached a record high in South Cheshire and with 327 reposession orders in place.

Such a refreshing headline to that of 'House prices to quadruple' etc etc.

Just thought I would share.

Guest xeouialp

Whilst stood queing up for a loaf of bread today I caught the headlines on the local rag 'Debt Soars in County'. When I finished paying I took a wander over to have a read and apparently bankrupcies have reached a record high in South Cheshire and with 327 reposession orders in place.

Hurrah - the more broken lives there are out there the better!!!

With any luck the miserable buggers will all be homeless soon. Time wasters.

Uhmm shock. hating myself for agreeing..

should I be cross with these morrons, or the people who were able to lie to them so easily..

"I know it seems a little pricey.. just borrow from us.. it will be fine.."

In the last year, there has been a 43% increase in repo's in Cheshire.

The above is probably one of the reasons my parents house in Shavington stayed on the market for the past year.

Historically a house in South Cheshire could be purchased for about 60 -70K but now these same houses are now on the market for 170-200K+ and I am talking of small 2-3 bed terrace or semi-detached starter homes not the type of houses one will find in Nether Alderley!

This means if you have had enough of renting or the parents then you have to stretch to these ridiculous prices with lower wages to serve this debt.

I am therefore not surprised that repossessions are rising in this area

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/article/...2287144,00.html

The Times July 27, 2006

Northern Rock's bad debt charges double to £44.5m
By Jenny Davey
NORTHERN ROCK yesterday reported that
bad debt charges had nearly doubled
, but the increase failed to take the gloss off a forecast-beating set of first-half results.

Seems bad debt will soon become the housing market's biggest area of growth :lol:

The above is probably one of the reasons my parents house in Shavington stayed on the market for the past year.

Historically a house in South Cheshire could be purchased for about 60 -70K but now these same houses are now on the market for 170-200K+ and I am talking of small 2-3 bed terrace or semi-detached starter homes not the type of houses one will find in Nether Alderley!

This means if you have had enough of renting or the parents then you have to stretch to these ridiculous prices with lower wages to serve this debt.

Hi there

Just out of interest, where abouts in Shavington? I used to live there, on the Main Road and my ex neighbours house I think just sold for about £115,000. Tiny 2 up 2 down cottage, right on the main road, bathroom downstairs at the back of the house in an extension, small courtyard garden measuring about 10ft square, no parking, and situated between Bargain Booze and the Co-op which is where gangs of kids congregate most evenings and weekends. If you dare park on the Bargain Booze carpark overnight, or up the side road next to it then you risk getting your car broken into. That happened to me at least 3 times.

South Cheshire has gone ridiculous. I am guessing it is because they are regenerating Crewe and the surrounding areas and it does have excellent train and motorway links to Manchester, Liverpool etc, but I've noticed that is the BTL mob up here who are buying up all the houses, due to the sea of TO LET signs. Madness. I live near Stapeley now and there are loads of new cardboard houses in the process of being built, and not even completed yet all have SOLD signs on them. 'Sigh'.. another sea of TO LET signs to decorate the road then.

Edited to say, I am renting in Stapeley, two bed house, with 2 allocated spaces and a nice sized back garden for £495 PCM. To mortgage the same house would cost me £700+ a month.

Edited by north/south divide

Have to say that while I do want there to be a crash so that property prices can return to a sustainable level, I do feel sorry for people whose lives will be ruined-

I have always thought that its a matter of education- its should be on the national curriculum and drummed into kids at an early age to manage their money and that they need to save for something if they want it rather than getting into debt that they cant afford. Its a fault with this idea that money and stuff brings you happiness without thinking that debt can ruin your life!

Maybe a bit old fashioned I know! :rolleyes:

its should be on the national curriculum and drummed into kids at an early age to manage their money and that they need to save for something if they want it rather than getting into debt that they cant afford.

Our 'consumer economy' is built on debt: if everyone stopped borrowing tomorrow we'd see a depression which would make the 30s look like a boom.

That's the problem with fiat currency: once you start down that path, it gets increasingly hard to stop without a catastrophic collapse.

Guest xeouialp

Oh God I hope nobody thinks I meant that

I have always thought that its a matter of education- its should be on the national curriculum and drummed into kids at an early age to manage their money and that they need to save for something if they want it rather than getting into debt that they cant afford. Its a fault with this idea that money and stuff brings you happiness without thinking that debt can ruin your life!

Maybe a bit old fashioned I know! :rolleyes:

I'm an English (secondary) teacher and I take time out of the National Curriculum once a fortnight to discuss money and personal accounting with all my pupils (325 of them - ten classes.) Got a good 3ollocking from my boss, but a lot of parents have thanked me for it. All my lessons end the same: "debt is bad. saving is good." Boring but true. They love it - really. Some have saved up to £120 since September, which is no mean feat at 11 years old.

I'm an English (secondary) teacher and I take time out of the National Curriculum once a fortnight to discuss money and personal accounting with all my pupils (325 of them - ten classes.) Got a good 3ollocking from my boss, but a lot of parents have thanked me for it. All my lessons end the same: "debt is bad. saving is good." Boring but true. They love it - really. Some have saved up to £120 since September, which is no mean feat at 11 years old.

That's excellent. I was never taught money/finance at school, only maths. My financial prudency is really from my parents and wanting to save up for a sega mega drive!!!

Did your boss allow you to continue to discuss money/finance?

"Historically a house in South Cheshire could be purchased for about 60 -70K", what does "historically" mean? Last Year? 10 years? what? if you looked far enough back in history you'd probably find one for £350.00.

Guest Charlie The Tramp

That's excellent. I was never taught money/finance at school

Well in the early 50s we were taught how to manage money at junior school. Thanks to Miss Knight I was running a money lending club at the age of ten. Borrow threepence to buy a lolly and pay back fourpence when they got their pocket money. Average earnings two shillings a week. ;)

Well in the early 50s we were taught how to manage money at junior school. Thanks to Miss Knight I was running a money lending club at the age of ten. Borrow threepence to buy a lolly and pay back fourpence when they got their pocket money. Average earnings two shillings a week. ;)

And if they didn't pay up Charlie?.......was it a Chinese burn?....I shudder to think!

Edited by The Dude

Guest Charlie The Tramp

And if they didn't pay up Charlie?.......was it a Chinese burn?....I shudder to think!

My mate Tommy Lowther was a big boy for his age got 10% of the profits. Never ever got a defaulter. ;)

Hi there

Just out of interest, where abouts in Shavington? I used to live there, on the Main Road and my ex neighbours house I think just sold for about £115,000. Tiny 2 up 2 down cottage, right on the main road, bathroom downstairs at the back of the house in an extension, small courtyard garden measuring about 10ft square, no parking, and situated between Bargain Booze and the Co-op which is where gangs of kids congregate most evenings and weekends. If you dare park on the Bargain Booze carpark overnight, or up the side road next to it then you risk getting your car broken into. That happened to me at least 3 times.

South Cheshire has gone ridiculous. I am guessing it is because they are regenerating Crewe and the surrounding areas and it does have excellent train and motorway links to Manchester, Liverpool etc, but I've noticed that is the BTL mob up here who are buying up all the houses, due to the sea of TO LET signs. Madness. I live near Stapeley now and there are loads of new cardboard houses in the process of being built, and not even completed yet all have SOLD signs on them. 'Sigh'.. another sea of TO LET signs to decorate the road then.

Edited to say, I am renting in Stapeley, two bed house, with 2 allocated spaces and a nice sized back garden for £495 PCM. To mortgage the same house would cost me £700+ a month.

Yep and the £205 a month difference between your rent and the mortgage is a pittance compared to the capital gains BTLetters expect. Even if the house only goes up 5k a year they are ahead of the game.

Which leaves you priced out of the market permanently. I hope you enjoy renting under 6 month Assured Shorthold Tenancy agreements for the rest of your life.

I have to say if I were your age I would be getting pretty pissed off about it.