House Price Crash Forum
gruffydd

Protest Against Holiday Homes And The Lack Of Affordable Housing

Just spotted this on pembrokeshiretv.com - interesting - English version going up tomorrow am.

Unfortunately, I'm in Bath on that day, but anybody in the area, please try to make it.

A Plaid Cymru lady is running it, but I know people from other parties who are going along.

Let the protesting begin.............................................

G

Edited by gruffydd

Just spotted this on pembrokeshiretv.com - interesting - English version going up tomorrow am.

Unfortunately, I'm in Bath on that day, but anybody in the area, please try to make it.

A Plaid Cymru lady is running it, but I know people from other parties who are going along.

G

Gruff, you got a link? We'll try and give it some prominence through google, anyone any idea of an article title to get it to the top of the tree? This thread title seems OK <_<

Newport is a beautiful place. 10-15 years ago the secret wasn't out - although there were holiday homes etc there weren't many. Unfortunately it is ridiclious now every second home must be a holiday home. Why people can't go to places like Newport and stay in hotels, B&B's escapes me, why do they have to buy a home they only use 4 weeks of the year.

Newport is a beautiful place. 10-15 years ago the secret wasn't out - although there were holiday homes etc there weren't many. Unfortunately it is ridiclious now every second home must be a holiday home. Why people can't go to places like Newport and stay in hotels, B&B's escapes me, why do they have to buy a home they only use 4 weeks of the year.

They are greedy & selfish (most holiday home owners are) and have no respect for local traditions. They are destroying the fabric of places like Cumbria etc.

Was talking to a chap the other day in a rural small town that has a vibrant street market, regular fayres. He was complaining about recent downshifter NIMBYs, usually early retirees, who are trying to stop all this due to noise and road closures. They seem to want to live in honeysuckle-covered museums where you can hear a pin drop and no actual life takes place.

The countryside isn't Lilliput Lane. It's a place where things happen. Why do townie holiday home buyers think they can economically cleanse the life out of it? Why can't they stay at a nice B&B or guesthouse run by a friendly householder? The greedy bastards.

Edited by CrashedOutAndBurned

Was talking to a chap the other day in a rural small town that has a vibrant street market, regular fayres. He was complaining about recent downshifter NIMBYs, usually early retirees, who are trying to stop all this due to noise and road closures. They seem to want to live in honeysuckle-covered museums where you can hear a pin drop and no actual life takes place.

The countryside isn't Lilliput Lane. It's a place where things happen. Why do townie holiday home buyers think they can economically cleanse the life out of it? Why can't they stay at a nice B&B or guesthouse run by a friendly householder? The greedy bastards.

This is a perfect example of their selfishness.

A few years ago I recall a conversation with a farmer in Fishguard. His family had been there on the land for the last X generations but he complained that his life was now being made a total hell because of some townie from Essex (it's not just the girls) who had bought a house next to the farm and was constantly complaining about the smell of slurry coming off the land and cowshit on the roads.

If you buy a house next to a working farm there's a good chance your shoes will get covered in shite sooner or later.

Guy I know runs a Chicken farm on the edge of the New Forest- life has been made hell by townies moaning about smells and noises. He recently needed to make improvements for the welfare of the birds so the council sent a team of professional smellers to asses this- jam jars were filled with the air inside the bird sheds and these freaks then went off to "analysise the aroma"- cost my mate 5 grand for this pantomime.

WTF- you buy a house next to a Chicken farm and moan about it- get the *uck back to town you *wats.

They are greedy & selfish (most holiday home owners are) and have no respect for local traditions. They are destroying the fabric of places like Cumbria etc.

Quenkish - go to Rightmove and search for properties in Cumbria for less than £100k. You will find there are more than 500 for sale.

Guy I know runs a Chicken farm on the edge of the New Forest- life has been made hell by townies moaning about smells and noises. He recently needed to make improvements for the welfare of the birds so the council sent a team of professional smellers to asses this- jam jars were filled with the air inside the bird sheds and these freaks then went off to "analysise the aroma"- cost my mate 5 grand for this pantomime.

WTF- you buy a house next to a Chicken farm and moan about it- get the *uck back to town you *wats.

Would his name be Ken by any chance?

Quenkish - go to Rightmove and search for properties in Cumbria for less than £100k. You will find there are more than 500 for sale.

There are parts of Cumbria that are not that attractive & where only locals would choose to live there. You will never find such cheap properties in the good areas or even OK area.

There is a national protest being organised for mid-October in London, more information soon.

Good, keep posting to keep everyone here updated. Maybe if people here realise others are up off their arses, maybe if they realise if they sit on theirs they will be renting forever, maybe if the government realises how angry people are at being priced out by investors, maybe if people generally start to realise what is actually happening .... maybe things will start to happen.

G

This must be the most exciting thing that's happened in Newport since a cat crossed the road to Parrog four years ago last Thursday.

What a pity that the protest is being organised by one of those vile ethnic-cleansing Welsh Nationalists. What self-serving purpose is behind this action, I wonder? All their other activities has 'Me me me' or 'Us us us' written all over them.

p

I understand that the lady running it of Czech extraction - I don't think she was born in the area herself.

I couldn't care less if she was of Tooth extraction - the fact that she's a Welsh Nationalist tells me all I need to know about her.

If she wasn't 'born in the area herself' who was she born as in the area? (Perhaps this is the Public Relations person's way of using more words than necessary and charging for them.)

p

Knee jerk emotional reactions result in the poorest analysis. Lets avoid the cliches and look at it dispassionately. I think this site's users are capable of more than the "they're all selfish t*ssers these holiday home/btl buyers etc".

Ok, the Welsh don't want strangers buying up their houses and hardly using them or not respecting local ways/traditions. Fine. What do we do about it? Its been going on around the UK for 30 years plus.

If you prevent it or tax it out of sight what does that do? It can do a few things: it will at a stroke reduce the house prices of all in that town/village/area. Not a bad thing you may say for locals trying to buy but try telling that to the locals who have got used to them and adjusted lives to that benchmark, MEWd or geared up on the back of it or planned to move away. Not popular. I suspect most homeowning locals will want to stop the inflow of outside buyers but without affecting their own asset prices. Laudable self-interest. A further result is that if the place is truly desirable then putting in place disincentives to outsiders (eg taxes etc) merely puts the properties in touch of only the most wealthy who are immune to that sort of thing and you end up with a wealthy enclave of owners who don't use their properties much!

How many people are for this in the towns themsleves? Has anyone asked them or held a referendum? or is it just regional political/nationalistic interests shouting more loudly than others? Just curious.

Its all very well shouting "action" but what do people want to happen and what do they think the consequences (intended and unintended) will be? I remember exactly this sort of argument cropping up in the late 80s and people moaning about outside holiday home buyers (remember the burning of holiday homes in Wales in the late 80s?) while simultaneously crowing about their barn being worth £x00k.

Just trying to generate some real thought on the issue.

Nothing will happen in my view.

Edited by Tempest

There are parts of Cumbria that are not that attractive & where only locals would choose to live there. You will never find such cheap properties in the good areas or even OK area.

So the cry is not "I can't afford a roof over my head in Cumbria".

It's "I can't buy a house in a part of Cumbria that's attractive or good or OK ".

Since when has there been a right to such a thing?

Can't you just buy one of the hundreds of affordable houses in a part of Cumbria that's not attractive or good or OK and thank your lucky stars you don't live in Darfur or the Lebanon?

How many people are for this in the towns themsleves? Has anyone asked them or held a referendum? or is it just regional political/nationalistic interests shouting more loudly than others?

Nothing will happen in my view.

I think you've got it one, Tempest. This is just another hate campaign by the cretinous Welsh Nationalists. They have their snouts so deep into the troughs at Westminster and that glorified Parish Council at Cardiff Bay that I'm surprised that they can see anything else going on around them.

(Just as a point of fact for those unaware of it - The Welsh Nationalist Party is as electorally popular in Wales as The Welsh Conservative Party. Now, how unpopular is that?)

p