House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
gfromls

Could The Boe

Many on here firmly believe that the housing market has already turned with falls being reported across much of the uk

Now here we are days away from the haliwide monthly reports – again many expecting both to report falling prices.

Also the boe rates decision early august – with many commentators predicting a 0.25% hike.

Could they?

Would they?

Should they?

Obviously none of us really know what the haliwide will say or what the boe will do.

But my question is this : IF the Halifax & nationwide both report falls AND IF the boe go for a hike.

HOW COULD ANYONE ARGUE AGAINST A CRASH?

It’s closer than you think imo.

Now here we are days away from the haliwide monthly reports – again many expecting both to report falling prices.

Actually I'm expecting a small increase from both - particularly as Scamifax had a big drop last month

Unfortunately I believe that Halifax etc will report an increase this month and the bank of England will bury their heads in the sand and keep interest rates on hold

Unfortunately I believe that Halifax etc will report an increase this month and the bank of England will bury their heads in the sand and keep interest rates on hold

I'd like a self-cert mortgage of a trillion pounds and go and put a bet on this!!

Guest Bart of Darkness

Me too.

I did at one point think that rates might rise in August but there hasn't been the kind of preparation of Joe Public (in the press, on TV) for such a rise, and so I think it's unlikely this month.

Me too.

I did at one point think that rates might rise in August but there hasn't been the kind of preparation of Joe Public (in the press, on TV) for such a rise, and so I think it's unlikely this month.

Spot on. They invariably telegraph their decision anyway. I think it all hinges on the august inflation figures and the Quarterly Inflation report.

IF, and it is a big if, the August inflation figure is significantly higher than the 2.5%, lets say 2.7% or greater, then the BoE may well put in a precautionary 0.25% hike in September. That is a lot of if's and may be's. We will, as usual just have to wait... <_<

Edited by FTBagain

Spot on. They invariably telegraph their decision anyway. I think it all hinges on the august inflation figures and the Quarterly Inflation report.

IF, and it is a big if, the August inflation figure is significantly higher than the 2.5%, lets say 2.7% or greater, then the BoE may well put in a precautionary 0.25% hike in September. That is a lot of if's and may be's. We will, as usual just have to wait... <_<

The bank of England will do NOTHING until that lovable rogue G Brown get's to Number 10 (whenever that will be). Until then, we will all just have to weather the media mantra of House Prices only going up. Just as an aside, where I live (Cheshire) it's just been reported in our local press that there has been a 43% increase in repo's in one year (that's right 43%!!!) The chickens are coming home to roost which is hardly surprising as everyone's in debt up to their eyeballs. High house prices are a feckin' disaster.

Edited by The Dude

Guest grumpy-old-man

The bank of England will do NOTHING until that lovable rogue G Brown get's to Number 10 (whenever that will be). Until then, we will all just have to weather the media mantra of House Prices only going up. Just as an aside, where I live (Cheshire) it's just been reported in our local press that there has been a 43% increase in repo's in one year (that's right 43%!!!) The chickens are coming home to roost which is hardly surprising as everyone's in debt up to their eyeballs. High house prices are a feckin' disaster.

absolutely spot-on...

but what still amazes me is a lot on this board think the MPC are not controlled by GB.....if they are totally independant then why haven't they taken the obvious financial step of just a small increase to help stem the HPI.......they managed to drop it a quarter point the other way when the housing market looked like it was going to fall over.....hhhmmmm strange that isn't it. ;):ph34r:

I think a lot of the bulls on this board are too young, under 30 most I bet, still in that "everything looks rosy stage" of their life. We have all done it BUT it appears to me that people are just getting older before they wise up to what's going on.....

I see & talk to loads of people that are 30 +, unmarried, no kids, working 70 hours a week (including travelling) & they think this is ok......because they have a new "on-tick" car parked outside worth more than their yearly gross salary :blink: , full sky package, latest gizmos, eat out 3 times a week & get hammered all weekend....then go back into work on Monday, & tell everyone their house price has gone up 10% since last Wednesday. These types will get what's coming to them:lol:

ask them what the names of their neighbours are & how many people have moved in & out of their estate in the last 2 years.......

Many on here firmly believe that the housing market has already turned with falls being reported across much of the uk

Also the boe rates decision early august – with many commentators predicting a 0.25% hike.

Could they?

Would they?

Should they?

Obviously none of us really know what the haliwide will say or what the boe will do.

But my question is this : IF the Halifax & nationwide both report falls AND IF the boe go for a hike.

HOW COULD ANYONE ARGUE AGAINST A CRASH?

It’s closer than you think imo.

Precisely because debt is so great in the uk a small rise would quell demand so the only thing that would cause a large rise in ir's is other countries putting their rates up