House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
deano_54321

Been Away For A While - Back Now, And Disappointed!

Hello All,

I haven't been on the site for a while as I was getting frustrated with the lack of movement in the market, and if anything, house prices moving back up.

Before anyone starts, I DO realise that a HPC isn't going to happen overnight. But, I have been browsing HPC since shortly after it opened and become a member last year, and MOST people were saying that we should be seeing the actual crash now, but prices are still on the UP! I want to see house prices come down as much as anyone on this site and think that house prices will eventually fall. but really believe that we are not going to see it within the next decade.

Take a look on the home page at the predictions for example. Any predictions for a rash are dated back until the end of last year. All of the latest predictions are for increases! This, on a site which is looking for people predicting decreases - cant we find any of these people!?

On a positive note, maybe with the pending interest rate increases (in combination with HIPS? not fully clued up on this yet!) we will see the shift. However I really think we are looking at after the Olympics before we see the eventual crash.

Whats the general feeling about this?

The only hips we'll be seeing in the near future are Krusty's unfortunately. It's another NuLab U-turn....screwed over Wrongmove though :lol:

were in a standoff.

nothings selling. nothing is coming down much.

only its breaking in america. houses are now piling up unsold.

all it takes is the next rise in IR. thats all. if not anyway.

my mate cant buy but will.

i cant buy but wont.

and as lacy said in 1978,

some girls lie and some girls dont.

That .25 cut in interest rates seems to have been the floodgate that people were holding back for. It gave them hope for the potential downwards direction of future rates. The madness has only gone on further because of the sentiment caused by this and the banks willingness to lend at rates of about 1% less than they were in 2004. I think the BOE will resist rises in the rates as long as they can. They know that sentiment will turn again. Look what happened last time they were rising and the effect that negative sentiment has had in parts of America. However the banks have now been pulling their low rates as they know the truth and it cannot be resisted forever.

Press are gettijng even more senational as the market petres out:

http://www.in2perspective.com/nr/2006/07/d...use-prices-.jsp

Daily Express 'pushes up house prices'

By Laurie Osborne, Editor
Published 26th Jul 2006, (a Wednesday) at 09:00AM
See also... house-prices, uk, daily-express, housing-market
An article published in The Business News Source has questioned the sensational front-page of yesterday's Daily Express newspaper. In2Perspective re-produces the article for you below.
With a war going on in the Middle East, with the price of oil going through the roof, with interest rates on the rise globally, what does this widely read English newspaper decide to lead on?
In spite of all the evidence to the contrary, it leads with following comment – ‘Record property prices are set to soar for at least 10 years in a massive boost for home owners’.
Why have we picked upon this in particular?
Because we believe that it is articles like this that are contribute to the Housing Bubble, way after proper analysis indicates that ‘the party’s over’. In particular it cites ‘experts’ without reference and then goes on to ask Estate Agents (realtors) for their view – a bit like asking a Butcher if meat is good for you.

Press are gettijng even more senational as the market petres out:

http://www.in2perspective.com/nr/2006/07/d...use-prices-.jsp

Good find RB

Articles like this target an unsophisticated readership, which tend to believe and listen to authority without thought. In this case the newspaper is perpetuating a series of unsubstantiated myths.

Quite right. People cannot think for themselves anymore;they have to be guided, pathetic.

Oh and this bit...

So, our issue with articles like this is that, as usual, newspapers can lead people into panic buying and fuel bubbles – probably the saddest part of this is that it will be the most vulnerable people, least able to respond quickly who’ll get hurt most – we are of course talking about the Daily Express reader – its customers.

Pity there's not more enlightened people out there that can see through their spin

Edited by Ritters

were in a standoff.

nothings selling. nothing is coming down much.

Not where I live. We're in a 'first time buyers don't matter any more' situation here.

Houses still selling quickly and at prices that seem to get dafter by the day.

A year and a half ago 4 bed detached boxy estate houses had come down to 275k - in a tough market for sellers. Since last Autumn's interest rate drop they have moved back to where they were 3 years ago - at up to the 350k mark.

Crappy little 2 bed victorian cottages are now 265k and more.

And we're not in London and it's not one of those nice, dinky home counties villages.

Not where I live. We're in a 'first time buyers don't matter any more' situation here.

Houses still selling quickly and at prices that seem to get dafter by the day.

A year and a half ago 4 bed detached boxy estate houses had come down to 275k - in a tough market for sellers. Since last Autumn's interest rate drop they have moved back to where they were 3 years ago - at up to the 350k mark.

Crappy little 2 bed victorian cottages are now 265k and more.

And we're not in London and it's not one of those nice, dinky home counties villages.

Just had a quick look at rightmove and am so depressed by all this. Again, property peaked here in 2004, spring 2005 prices tried to go up but fell back to 2004 levels. Now since the August rate cut prices are zooming up again and selling quickly!. We viewed a house last January that was on at £305k, now a similar house (without conservatory which the other one had) has just come on at £379k.!!!

We are looking very silly in rented now and to be honest I feel very daft at taking the decision to sit this out!.

Feeling very fed up,

Lou

still priced out and still couldn't care less. i have no reason to believe that anything which has happened, either here or around the world in the last 5 years has caused the the market to operate in any way other than that which it has been happily operating for the last 300-odd years, so no amount of daily express headlines are going to convince me that it's a good idea to saddle myself and my family with a debt which would become literally unpayable if there was a .5% upward shift in interest rates. if you can afford it, good for you. i'm sure you'll be very happy in your new home. if you can't - or at least, if you're risking financial suicide by clambering on the ladder, what's another couple of years anyway?

We are looking very silly in rented now and to be honest I feel very daft at taking the decision to sit this out!.

"Looking very silly" to whom? What exactly is the problem?

You didn't buy. Neither did I. I know houses were "cheaper" a year or so ago in some areas. But they were still too expensive then.

I didn't buy then because I thought it was a rip-off. Since then, prices have risen. So it's even more extortionate. So I'm even less likely to buy.

You don't get "left behind" in a race you refuse to join.