House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
neilbertuk

Affordable Housing For Civil Servants

If there are any PCS union members there...

Wonderful site, one of the few places where people seem unaffected by the mdness surrounding the housing market.

I've recently had informal conversations with my union rep (I'm a customs officer near Heathrow) and with the planning office at Surrey county council. Both have expressed an interest in an idea I've had of setting up a self-build association for low-cost housing in Surrey for members of the PCS.

If, like me, you don't want a house as an investment, or a pension plan, but simply as a decent place to live, and if you are a civil servant living in the south east, contact me at neilbertuk@yahoo.co.uk. The more people who respond, the greater effect we'll have.

Regards

Neil

Your biggest cost is high costs land, no housing association will get round that, unless you can buy a field and get planning permisson on it...

Excellent idea, im a civil servant too but unfortunately in the North West so not much help im afraid. Good luck in your project though.

Ummm, I am a tax payer and pay your wages. Why should I not get a cheap house as well?

Ummm, I am a tax payer and pay your wages. Why should I not get a cheap house as well?

Exactly, civil servants already get paid as much for less work, get more security, better pensions and mostly retire earlier.... (subject of course to exceptions) - why should they get other perks denied to the people who pay their wages...

Because his union enables group action and coordinated pressure, and he's willing to try doing something? Bit like pricedout?

He's a customs officer. So he can't really live in a cheap bit of Rotherham, can he? Not that many airports on the doorstep and all that... Whenever there's an immigration thread on here it really brings out the bile so I'd have thought people would be glad that he's trying to find a way to get a decent home AND stay in his job (and help others to boot).

I have no problem with unions lobbying for land to build on for everyone who wants to have a go. That's not the same as a union lobbying for land for its members..... and certainly not if it's connected to the public sector - just how bent would that planning decision look....... - please give me one reason why a public sector worker should get more opportunity than someone else.....

I have no problem with unions lobbying for land to build on for everyone who wants to have a go. That's not the same as a union lobbying for land for its members..... and certainly not if it's connected to the public sector - just how bent would that planning decision look....... - please give me one reason why a public sector worker should get more opportunity than someone else.....

You miss the point about Unions. They are there *only* to represent their members. They were established as a counter to the power that employers had and use collective cooperation and political representation combined with the right to withdraw labour, as a redress to exploitation. If you are not in the Union, you will not be represented - why should you be?

The public sector part is not relevant but just to answer your question, there is no reason why someone should get more opportunity just because of who they work for. Maybe what they do is relevant (i.e. key workers) but I don't think that is your point here.

The simple fact is, as has been stated before, this is a collective of people getting together to take action in order to make their lives better. Best of luck to them I say.

Bottom line is how the hell is it right that key workers get cheap housing.

Totally unjust or should I say illegal, I'm supprised that folk in the private sector have not yet got up & demo'd I'm up for a riot if anyone else is :D

It's about time this 'gravy train' was bought to an abrupt (& violent) end !

The problem is ... "Who is a key worker ?" - it's a political decision and it's going to be motivated towards public sector workers - the useful ones (like Customs !) and the useless paperclip filing monkeys and the like. Plus so many of the essential jobs are now contracted out, would they still qualify, whose decision would it be - oh, yes the politicians..... - great - and please tell me how you keep them affordable, surely you can't stop other low paid people moving in who don't work in what some quango deems expedient to call essential or key industries...... - how about sales, can you only sell to a public sector worker - what about the cost on a resale..... - can you cap it ?

Guest mattsta1964

I thought we lived in a country where everyone had equal rights & entitlments though it seems very far from the said case

Civil servants have it so bloody cushy it's unbelievable.

Planning officer i know gets everything, a subsidised car with free petrol, free use of council amenities, health centres etc, and a pension scheme that wouldn't shame a king.............and we're paying for it through extortionate council tax bills and councils using draconian parking restrictions and the like to screw everyone. It's a bloody scandal. When am I gonna have enough spare to contribute to a pension? Yeah! Exactly!