House Price Crash Forum
I'M WITH STUPID

Lister Mills - Bradford

Does anyone know what is happening here - For the uninitiated its an Urban Splash refurb of the biggest textile mill in the UK - only catch - its in the shittest part of one of the country's poorest cities - I went to the launch back in Nov 2004 with about 20,000 other people - and while we all uniformly gasped how wonderful it all was as soon as we stepped outside we locked our car doors and first geared back to the motorway.

There are currently 13 re-sales and 22 for rent on rightmove - does anyone know what the mood is over there - dont get over that much and cant find anything on t'internet.

Does anyone know what is happening here - For the uninitiated its an Urban Splash refurb of the biggest textile mill in the UK - only catch - its in the shittest part of one of the country's poorest cities - I went to the launch back in Nov 2004 with about 20,000 other people - and while we all uniformly gasped how wonderful it all was as soon as we stepped outside we locked our car doors and first geared back to the motorway.

There are currently 13 re-sales and 22 for rent on rightmove - does anyone know what the mood is over there - dont get over that much and cant find anything on t'internet.

By all accounts half of those properties were bought by investors down south so I suspect they are trying to get out as quickly as possible. As much as I like Urban Splash's work this project is in a really bad location, I can't see many locals wanting to spend 110K to live in Manningham. Also who is going to rent one of these places as you say it's one of the worst areas in the one of the worst cities in the UK.

It really is an utter dump. Rents are about 450/month for a ground floor studio. Bearing in mind the local area looks like a bomb has dropped on it, you wouldn't want to rent for half that in this area.

I wish a bomb would drop on the area!

Jimothy - ah a local lad - I was born in Wyke! - wots the score over there mate? - noticed there are a few conversions on rightmove - one on Sunbridge Rd and the Salts mill which looks pretty decent - has the city centre living buzz caught on?

It seems that most flats/apartments are being bought by the local asian community. They are also investing heavily in little Germany, if you know that area?

Not sure about Salts, but I'd love to live there. Was renting in the area until just under a year ago. Some nice boozers.

There does appear to be a lot of apartments available to rent though, suggesting they have all just been bought as BTLs.

Fingers crossed it goes tits up :-)

Been looking at Wyke myself but everything there appears to be out of my reach.

As for city centre buzz. Bradford has to have one of the worst nightlifes in Britain, so i pity anyone that chooses to live here for that reason. Great views during the next riot though :-)

It really is an utter dump. Rents are about 450/month for a ground floor studio. Bearing in mind the local area looks like a bomb has dropped on it, you wouldn't want to rent for half that in this area.

I wish a bomb would drop on the area!

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/race/story/0,,746867,00.html

They dropped quite a few petrol bombs in 2001, and several other years for that matter. A real bomb might have a more positive effect though!

I work about ten minutes walk away from Lister Mills (not that I'd dare to set foot on the streets around there). The apartments are stunning – I'd love to live in such a place, but I wouldn't live in that part of Bradford if you paid me, never mind pay for the privilage. Every day when I leave work the ritual is the same... get in car, lock doors, take off up the road like Michael Schumacher. Sod speed limits. The police don't stop you 'cause they know why you're doing it. I can only think that the development was undertaklen by someone who hasn't a clue about the area and has been bought into by people who are similarly ignorant.

Victoria Mills in Saltaire is gorgeous too and a decent area. Ten minutes walk to Shipley station one way or the same to Saltaire station the other way, and also there's Salt's Mill containing an amazing collection of galleries and shops and eateries.

As for city centre buzz. Bradford has to have one of the worst nightlifes in Britain, so i pity anyone that chooses to live here for that reason. Great views during the next riot though :-)

I haven't been into the centre of Bradford for ages. I gave up because a staggering number of folk had seemingly decided they no longer had to stop at red lights and could drive on the right if there was a queue of traffic on the left – The roads really are lawless around Bradford centre. It became not so much a case of 'will I be in a crash?' as 'when will I be in a crash?' I used to go into Bradford after work on a Friday to get some food from M&S, but instead I now go to Bingley and catch a train to Leeds to do it. Much safer, much nicer, and due to avoiding the terrible congestion around Bradford, quicker too!

Wow Bradford has obviously changed since I was a student at the Management Centre in Emm Lane (just on the edge of Manningham). Then (in the mid 80s) it was thriving, had just recovered from the Yorkshire Ripper episode and had the most fantastic sub-continental shops and cafes. Could eat like a king on virtually no money at all. Friendly pubs round there too. The Mucky Duck and a hotel bar called the Oakleigh(?).

Great times.

Sorry to see that locals think it's gone down hill. It was a great place to be a postgrad student.

And the rent was ridiculously cheap (three of us shared a 3 bed semi for £150 a month - that's TOTAL, i.e. £50 each A MONTH).

Oh happy days. :)

Sorry to see that locals think it's gone down hill.

I agree - I grew up there - the people are great - unpretentious and honest - unfortunately if you want to get on in life and raise your kids close to decent schools with the prospect of a job there's no choice but to get the hell out - I now live in South Manchester and would never move back.

I honestly hope the city does improve - If only for the poor decent bastards left behind - I'm sure Urban Splash will make their money with governement grants but the BTL investors are gonna get their nuts roasted - not even the rental stock seems to be shifting on rightmove - lowest asking price now is £375pcm for a one bed - that would barely cover the interest on an £80k mortgage - yikes!

Edited by I'M WITH STUPID

the people are great

Um... were great. Most of the decent people have left and been replaced by what amounts to pack-animals who strut around in large groups glaring at you for being on 'their patch'.

I honestly hope the city does improve

No chance of that. I've been there three decades and seen it go down hill. It has picked up far too much momentum now. My place of work is relocating away from the city and I already live near where my work is relocating to, so fortunately I'll be rid of the place once and for all by this time next year.

Also who is going to rent one of these places as you say it's one of the worst areas in the one of the worst cities in the UK.

Prostitutes if my experience of renting property out in Manningham is anything to go by.

I agree - I grew up there - the people are great - unpretentious and honest - unfortunately if you want to get on in life and raise your kids close to decent schools with the prospect of a job there's no choice but to get the hell out - I now live in South Manchester and would never move back.

I honestly hope the city does improve - If only for the poor decent bastards left behind - I'm sure Urban Splash will make their money with governement grants but the BTL investors are gonna get their nuts roasted - not even the rental stock seems to be shifting on rightmove - lowest asking price now is £375pcm for a one bed - that would barely cover the interest on an £80k mortgage - yikes!

i do too. i went to school in Bradford (near Emm Lane) and nearly everyone i was at school who did A levels education and beyond with has left the Bardford district now, a real brain drain happened in the 90's and the City has yet to recover , despite manningham mills, all these new plans etc. very sad end to what used to be a gorgeous and thriving city.

I haven't been into the centre of Bradford for ages. I gave up because a staggering number of folk had seemingly decided they no longer had to stop at red lights and could drive on the right if there was a queue of traffic on the left – The roads really are lawless around Bradford centre.

this is absolutely true, i can vouch having witnessed it myself many times.

something is very wrong in that City.

how amazing that just 7 miles away in Leeds it is a totally different story? What happened to Bradford? It must be almost unique in the country at not having benefitted from the last 14 years economic sucess / house price increases , or do people know of other similar towns?

Do you mean the really big one where Dave Smith was headmaster - if so what year did you leave?

early 90's.

My other half was telling me last night that one of her friends is renting a flat at the new Lister Mills development in Bradford. Apparently it's a disaster. Aside from the fact that most of the apartments are empty, because noone who wants to rent or buy trendy apartments wants to live in such a crappy area, there are some significant problems with the building. Numerous fixtures and fittings don't fit properly, but worse of all, small pieces of masonary are breaking off and landing all over the place and creating loads of dust. Apparently she wakes up on a morning with her hair full of dust and gets home from work at the end of the day to find the place full of dust. When she moved in she was warned about it and told this was normal for Grade II buildings that have been converted into apartments and that it will stop after a couple of months, but now she's been told that it could last two years.

When she moved in she was warned about it and told this was normal for Grade II buildings that have been converted into apartments and that it will stop after a couple of months, but now she's been told that it could last two years.

or until the building has completely collapsed :lol:

My other half was telling me last night that one of her friends is renting a flat at the new Lister Mills development in Bradford. Apparently it's a disaster. Aside from the fact that most of the apartments are empty, because noone who wants to rent or buy trendy apartments wants to live in such a crappy area, there are some significant problems with the building. Numerous fixtures and fittings don't fit properly, but worse of all, small pieces of masonary are breaking off and landing all over the place and creating loads of dust. Apparently she wakes up on a morning with her hair full of dust and gets home from work at the end of the day to find the place full of dust. When she moved in she was warned about it and told this was normal for Grade II buildings that have been converted into apartments and that it will stop after a couple of months, but now she's been told that it could last two years.

Does she feel "welcome" living in that area?

Does she feel "welcome" living in that area?

I must say well done to Urban Splash for rescuing the building, which could easily have been burnt down at any time or fallen down if nothing had been done to save it. It is one of the most awesome buildings in the country in my view. And a brave job to take on indeed given the area. We shall see, i guess.

Personally , knowing the city ( i used to go past the mill every day for 10 years on my way to school) i wouldn't live there now ; but you never know, some have talked about Bradford being the "Notting Hill of the North" in-waiting. Surely it must regenerate at some point? And don't people think prices look cheap for those lovely old houses in Manningham?

Are there any signs this £1bn revamp of the City , widely touted ( i even saw an exhibit on the planned regeneration of Bradford in New York) will have any effect at all?

Or will it be like the infamous Bradford's Bouncing Back campaign in the 80's, the PR made people feel happier, but was ultimately futile.

How can this City have missed out on the last 2 economic growth cycles, first in the 80's now in the 2000s? It must be very disturbing for Bradfordians. Or mayve it presents unique opportunities for investors in emerging markets....depends which way you look at it. What do people think?

sorry for the ramble.

How can this City have missed out on the last 2 economic growth cycles, first in the 80's now in the 2000s? It must be very disturbing for Bradfordians. Or mayve it presents unique opportunities for investors in emerging markets....depends which way you look at it. What do people think?

I think if we are brutally honest we know why Bradford is struggling - it's a 'mecca' for Asian immigration - the housing stock is largely (like most mill towns) old and small (I know there are bits outside it that are nice) and no-one who lives in the decent areas surrounding it ever goes into the centre of it - they all go to Leeds [yes, I do know people there]. All of the people I know who grew up there and have had decent educations (Asian and white) have left - none have any plans to go back.

Being honest, it's Bradfordistan - even more so than Wolverhampton, Bolton, Blackburn, Burnley or Leicester - and this is reflected in its poor regeneration.

I think if we are brutally honest we know why Bradford is struggling - it's a 'mecca' for Asian immigration - the housing stock is largely (like most mill towns) old and small (I know there are bits outside it that are nice) and no-one who lives in the decent areas surrounding it ever goes into the centre of it - they all go to Leeds [yes, I do know people there]. All of the people I know who grew up there and have had decent educations (Asian and white) have left - none have any plans to go back.

Being honest, it's Bradfordistan - even more so than Wolverhampton, Bolton, Blackburn, Burnley or Leicester - and this is reflected in its poor regeneration.

but you would have thought that with a very well established immigrant community things would have changed, i mean, Asians have been in Bradford in large numbers for 40 years now.

Someone i know who has worked closely with the Asian community in a healthcare capacity in the city says that a lot of the community comes from the same area of Pakistan, a small area called Mirpur (maybe i spelt this wrong). Its not a wealthy go getting kind of place even by Pakistan's standards so its not the brightest and the best htat are ending up in Bradford, was her view. They are essentially people with an old fashioned, small closed world view, a village mentality, and have imported this to Bradford, hence the lack of entrepreneurship, serious business generation, employment etc (with notable exceptions, of course).

Anyway that was one view, not sure if its' correct or not but would make some kind of sense as far as explplaining the endless "drift" backwards the city has experienced in the past 30 years. The youth culture in the city also strikes me as extremely agressive with canny young lads with money from somewhere "playing the system" (legal, council , whichever you choose) and running rings around the authorities, who are powerless to get a grip on social order, cohesion, financial propriety etc. Even improvement of the fabric by private or public investors is hampered by the presence of true "no go" areas, where white private investors properties have been firebombed in "Asian" areas, people being stabbed in parks, pulled out of cars at traffic lights and robbed). Much of this is hidden from public view by self censorship on reporting the true reality by the local media.

People's (outsiders) general perception of the city has sunk even lower than the Bradford council or the local newspaper the Telegrapgh & Argus, which defends the city's pride like the last man standing, like to admit - its as scummy as Liverpool but without the proud scouser spirit or humour - only real change in the attitudes of local people will ever sort it.

rant over.

But to get back to the point - money to be made - noises have been made about regeneration up there and do we not think that for shrewd property investors, there are now opportunities in certain locations? If so , whereabouts?

15 properties for rent on rightmove today - I dont think one has let since I started this thread - cheapest now is £375pcm for a one bed - if that wern't bad enough the service charges on a huge building like this will be horrendous - I remember reading in the sales literature I picked up words to the effect of ''this building is a big black hole and the service charge will reflect this'' - oops :rolleyes:

its a real shame - manningham forty years ago was a really desirable part of the city - not anymore...

I W S , are you in the property industry? spose you best be carefull if so - you may get labelled a VI Troll like me!

rgds

:)

I used to be the F.D. of an estate agents based in the Stockport area but now work in engineering - I used to defend my home town when it got slagged off but have since given up and moved to cottonopolis. Are you?