House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bandylegs

Whats The Worst He Can Do?

My LL is a complete b*ll*x.

I'm not going to pay his last two months rent which is to the value of the deposit. As we never did an inventory he's not got a leg to stand on over any claim on the deposit but I know it would be a hassle to get it back.

What's the worse he can do? As it would take him two months to evict us I figure we'll be ok.

My LL is a complete b*ll*x.

I'm not going to pay his last two months rent which is to the value of the deposit. As we never did an inventory he's not got a leg to stand on over any claim on the deposit but I know it would be a hassle to get it back.

What's the worse he can do? As it would take him two months to evict us I figure we'll be ok.

I would hold my last two months rent back without question. If the Landlord finds some damage to the property, which you know you are responsible for, he will try and get the money off you. If he provides you with evidence and costs (taking in to account fair wear and tear) then I would send it to him. If you don’t he could take you to the County Court, and you would then be at a disadvantage as you have withheld your last 2 months rent.

As its two months, rather than one months rent he has, things could get a little hairy for you if he his a bit of a ba**ard. Don’t let him bully or harass you though as your still entitled to quite enjoyment of the property.

I did "the right thing" with a ba**ard land lord and paid him my last months rent, and he return the favour by withholding my full £645 security deposit. In the end I have had to take him to the county court, at an additional cost of £80. Next time I would put the onus on the landlord to go the considerable cost and expense of chasing me rather than the other way around.

I would hold my last two months rent back without question. If the Landlord finds some damage to the property, which you know you are responsible for, he will try and get the money off you. If he provides you with evidence and costs (taking in to account fair wear and tear) then I would send it to him. If you don’t he could take you to the County Court, and you would then be at a disadvantage as you have withheld your last 2 months rent.

As its two months, rather than one months rent he has, things could get a little hairy for you if he his a bit of a ba**ard. Don’t let him bully or harass you though as your still entitled to quite enjoyment of the property.

I did "the right thing" with a ba**ard land lord and paid him my last months rent, and he return the favour by withholding my full £645 security deposit. In the end I have had to take him to the county court, at an additional cost of £80. Next time I would put the onus on the landlord to go the considerable cost and expense of chasing me rather than the other way around.

Two wrongs don't make a right. Pay the rent as usual so you have no comebacks, then if the deposit is withheld take him to the small claims court. If you have no inventory he won't have a leg to stand on.

Two wrongs don't make a right. Pay the rent as usual so you have no comebacks, then if the deposit is withheld take him to the small claims court. If you have no inventory he won't have a leg to stand on.

Bandlegs is quite clear that the LL doesnt have a inventory, therefore their is no point in paying him the last 2 months rent and then having to take him to the county court, as the outcome will be the same as not paying him the last two months rent, he wont have an inventory and therefore no leg to stand on either way. One way just avoids considerable hassle for bandylegs, and thats through not paying.

I'd pay all rent you owe. With no inventory signed by yourself, you should have no trouble getting money back through small claims. There's no need to breach your contract.

btp

Thanks everybody for taking the time to reply.

I appreciate that I have a strong legal position regarding getting my deposit back.

Trouble is I know it will be a hassle, the guy used to be a solicitor; he spends a lot of time abroad etc.

So what is the worst he could do?

Thanks everybody for taking the time to reply.

I appreciate that I have a strong legal position regarding getting my deposit back.

Trouble is I know it will be a hassle, the guy used to be a solicitor; he spends a lot of time abroad etc.

So what is the worst he could do?

The worst he can do is take you to small claims, but he will need evidence that you have caused damage to the property in order to do this. Its been mentioned that if you pay your rent and stick to the terms of your tenancy you will have no trouble getting your money back. Just because the county court tells the Land Lord to give the money back doesnt mean he actually will, you may have to send the baliffs in at additional expense for example, and if hes abroad alot then they might not have any luck. Remember a CCJ isnt a automatic guarantee of your money back.