House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
OnlyMe

France And Germany Now The Cheap Option

Going, going going.........

http://icsurreyonline.icnetwork.co.uk/0100...-name_page.html

Factory to close with loss of up to 100 jobsJul 25 2006

By Mark Davison And Stephanie Turner

A REDHILL factory is to close by the end of the year with the loss of up to 100 jobs.

Staff at Doeflex plastics firm, in St Anne's Drive,have been told the site is to be shut by its parent company,British Vita, and much of its work is to be sent abroad to Germany and France because of "high operating costs".

Another one bites the dust, and another one......... :o

High house prices killed the economy in California in 1989 and the Great Crash began. Tick tock tick tock.....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/edinbu...ast/5212842.stm

Jobs threat at Edinburgh Crystal

The company was founded in 1867

More than 400 jobs are in jeopardy at the glassware company Edinburgh Crystal after it suffered substantial losses and failed to find a buyer.

The historic firm has staff at its head office and factory in Penicuik, Midlothian, and at about 90 factory outlets and department stores.

However, almost all its goods have been produced overseas for some time

Visited the Royal Worcester factoy in Worcester recently and noted that all but a few collector pieces are being made in Portugal and Czech Republic now. They can't afford to pay UK wages and remain competitive. High house prices demand high wages and that is the price we have to pay for a Miracle Economy.

Guest mattsta1964

Going, going going.........

http://icsurreyonline.icnetwork.co.uk/0100...-name_page.html

Factory to close with loss of up to 100 jobsJul 25 2006

By Mark Davison And Stephanie Turner

A REDHILL factory is to close by the end of the year with the loss of up to 100 jobs.

Staff at Doeflex plastics firm, in St Anne's Drive,have been told the site is to be shut by its parent company,British Vita, and much of its work is to be sent abroad to Germany and France because of "high operating costs".

Bang goes another chance of a manufacturing/engineering job near where I live then! :(

Low cost property = low rent/cost for workers and usually low rents for company buildings.

Shooting ourselves in the foot!

Bang goes another chance of a manufacturing/engineering job near where I live then! :(

Learn German or Chinese.

The UK, the banks and the BOE have decided they we can go it alone and flog liablities to each other and live off housing fat - I tell you it is an economic miracle. The perfect parasitic economy, whilst it lasts, then hell to pay.

Edited by OnlyMe

Visited the Royal Worcester factoy in Worcester recently and noted that all but a few collector pieces are being made in Portugal and Czech Republic now. They can't afford to pay UK wages and remain competitive. High house prices demand high wages and that is the price we have to pay for a Miracle Economy.

The royal worcester factory site, which sits on the bank of the river sever, a canal and the catherdral is being turned into thousands of new flats houses bars and resterants....

The ultimate in designer riverside living...

The royal worcester factory site, which sits on the bank of the river sever, a canal and the catherdral is being turned into thousands of new flats houses bars and resterants....

The ultimate in designer riverside living...

Lots of new McJobs coming in that case. Who is going to pay for all those designer flats? They are doing the same thing In Gloucester with a massive refurbishement of old dock buildings. I visited a few months ago and thought the blocks of newly created flats were reminiscent of old Soviet Bloc prol housing. Ugly concrete or industrial brick buildings with small windows looking out onto other ugly former dock buildings with equally small and mean looking windows. The area was full of big posters showing glamourized version of the re-developed buildings, sidewalk cafe's, exagerrated perspectives of large Ferrari-type cars with happy go lucky 20-something's smiling with artificially whitened teeth. The reality was somewhat hideous and yet I understand that buyers were, at some stage, getting in quick at rather high prices for an area blighted job-wise.

we could always continue to flood the country with more immigrants so we can compete but thats not going to help the local people is it now.

We could also attempt to improve our skills/productivity and thereby compete better in the global market..

For example.

Germany has the highest employee costs in t he world and the shortest working week in Europe (excepting probably France) but still manages to compete on quality and in terms of productivity.

The Germans for example, export $30 Billion to China each year. The Uk manages only $5 billion. As the chinese economy is currently expanding at 10%+ p/annum and is responsible for a fair proportion of total global growth lack of penetration in this market is a problem that has far reaching effects now and in the coming decades.

Edited by Wuluf

The Germans for example, export $30 Billion to China each year. The Uk manages only $5 billion.

Yeah, but we'd have to actually make something before we could export it. I doubt there's much of a market in China for exports of the smallest, crappiest and most expensive houses in the world, even if we could stick them on a boat and sail them over.

but thats not going to help the local people is it now.

"Local people" is an outdated concept now. The UK is no longer a nation but merely an economy. Where the workers come from is immaterial as long as they are sufficiently cheap.

If your ancestors have been working, fighting and dying for England for centuries that's quaint and interesting but counts for nothing anymore.

Guest mattsta1964

Yeah, but we'd have to actually make something before we could export it. I doubt there's much of a market in China for exports of the smallest, crappiest and most expensive houses in the world, even if we could stick them on a boat and sail them over.

We couldn't manufacture a clothes peg for a profit.

The UK is f****d

we could always continue to flood the country with more immigrants so we can compete but thats not going to help the local people is it now.

I just heard on Radio 5 that a senior judge (I think second in command of House of Lords) resigned yesterday. She was an immigration judge and she resigned saying that the system is a shambles, but that also "the Government do not have the will to stop it". I have searched the tinternet but found nothing. She seems to echo what many on here think, that without immigration the economic miricle is up. The Nu Labour spinner they had on poo pooed her. The debate never got round to WHY the Government does not have the will. Anyway, does anyone know anymore information on this?

We could also attempt to improve our skills/productivity and thereby compete better in the global market..

For example.

Germany has the highest employee costs in t he world and the shortest working week in Europe (excepting probably France) but still manages to compete on quality and in terms of productivity.

The Germans for example, export $30 Billion to China each year. The Uk manages only $5 billion. As the chinese economy is currently expanding at 10%+ p/annum and is responsible for a fair proportion of total global growth lack of penetration in this market is a problem that has far reaching effects now and in the coming decades.

German labour costs haven't moved much for years, while productivity has risen and risen, part of which you can see in its export story.

When a fantastically well managed, but highly capital intensive, chemical company like British Vita plans a plant, it does not look just at the short term variable costs - I mean by this, wages, energy etc.. per unit of production, but also the costs of land, capital over decades.

brainclamp

The site only started manufacturing in 1999.

For a modern plant to be preferentially closed in favour of foreign supply shows just how out of whack things are becoming.

brainclamp

The site only started manufacturing in 1999.

For a modern plant to be preferentially closed in favour of foreign supply shows just how out of whack things are becoming.

Wouldn't surprise me if it's not just the operating savings that can be made abroad that is affecting some of these decisions. Can you imagine the Capital boost that some of these companies can acheive from selling big sites to developers at the moment with Building and Land values being so high!

I know of several small business owners who have basically closed their businesses because of the value of the underlying property they own due to being in business for the last 20 years. Made much more than remaining in business for another 10 years slogging away day after day.

AFP

Wouldn't surprise me if it's not just the operating savings that can be made abroad that is affecting some of these decisions. Can you imagine the Capital boost that some of these companies can acheive from selling big sites to developers at the moment with Building and Land values being so high!

I know of several small business owners who have basically closed their businesses because of the value of the underlying property they own due to being in business for the last 20 years. Made much more than remaining in business for another 10 years slogging away day after day.

AFP

Yes, but even so - the captial only went into the plant 7 years ago!

Like you say though - there is plenty of incentive to cash in on the price of land and destroy jobs. This has been discussed many times.