House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Monopoly

London Borough Of Hillingdon Still Strong

No slowing down here, houses sell left and right for ridicules prices, people seem to do panic buys, because everybody I talk to has the opinion that house prices will never go down here...

No slowing down here, houses sell left and right for ridicules prices, people seem to do panic buys, because everybody I talk to has the opinion that house prices will never go down here...

Strange that none of the losers who have been predicting a HPC on here for the past 2 years have replied to your post.

Houses are selling like hot cakes where we are in SW London and judging from comments from people in my London office, it is the same throughout London.

Ignore most of the desperate posts made by the HPC posters as they are just clinging onto snippets of news from any report to convince them a HPC is on its way.

As a riposte, there was another report in the Times today mentioning that most people were NOT affected by a debt burden. They have cut back on non essentials and are happy as long as their mortgages are paid. Unless u see envisage IR going up to 8% or so, then just assume high house prices are here to stay. And before you ask, we are STR's who have lost out on probably £100k by selling last year. We will be buying later this year or early next year.

Our life starts now and we will still be home owners in 30 years time, so who cares what prices will do in between.

Strange that none of the losers who have been predicting a HPC on here for the past 2 years have replied to your post.

Probably something to do with it being in the "What are house prices doing in your area?", and nobody coming from this area?

btp

Strange that none of the losers who have been predicting a HPC on here for the past 2 years

If you were following people who were telling you that prices would crash during the past couple of years then more fool you, the market will lag the predictions many times, doesnt mean they are wrong just that the crucial and hardest part 'timing' is off. Look at the 'predictions' page they don't predict a HPC in 2004/2005 so I'm not sure who you were listening to. http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/#predictions

Houses are selling like hot cakes where we are in SW London and judging from comments from people in my London office, it is the same throughout London...... And before you ask, we are STR's who have lost out on probably £100k by selling last year. We will be buying later this year or early next year.

I'd say we are on the last or thereabouts move upwards (sucker move) where many of those who have been holding out for a crash for so long can't bear it any longer and jump right in at the top or very close to it (it's classic).

The fundamentals are relatively shortly going to tip the market over the precipice for a large long-term correction. This is the "sucker move" presently, drawing in the desperate, sheep-like, ignorant and plain unlucky as always happens at the top of a market.

Get over your £100k paper loss, if indeed it is anywhere accurate :D it will be small beer when prices move much lower, you will consider yourself an investment genius when that happens if you have not gone and bought on the sucker moves. <_<

Our life starts now and we will still be home owners in 30 years time, so who cares what prices will do in between

LOL, fair enough if you want to spend the next 5-7 years or so living through the deep correction. Of course there are better times to jump into the market than others, for a start when there is a 30/40/50%+ correction then you will be able to get a far better spec property for your bucks than the place you out of desperation and poor purchasing power buy at the top end of the market because you can't afford anything better.

I don't care....I would very much to have a house..but I'm not willing to spend 350k on a shoebox....so for better or worse, we will hang in there.

Our Money is in the bank and makes us money, renting the house we in saves us £500 every month, compare to buying the place.

Should hp come down..we are ready to go.

BEN H , your words

" Strange that none of the losers who have been predicting a HPC on here for the past 2 years have replied to your post. "

How very sad , what did you expect ? that house prices would fall the moment you sold your own property , it's all about TIMING this is the difficult part to predict , you appear to have little patience and want to brand all the bears on here losers because prices didn't fall as you had hoped and your angry and want to blame the site because you yourself believed once there would be a HPC and it hasn't FULLY arrived yet , so you blame what youv'e read on here rather than yourself .

I did like your words " Our life starts now " so what have you been doing in all your previous years , living in a shell ? :lol:

Try to be patient , i mean do you really believe there just gonna keep going up from this point ? Not sure if your come back to this thread anyway .

Edited by grey shark

I'm STILL here!

As for our £100K paper loss.

We put our house (In Kingston-Thames) on sale for £499K in July 2004 (through Foxtons, what were we thinking of ???!). We obviously didn't get that much interest at that price and we changed Estate Agents within a month, even though Foxton’s threatened to sue us as they said we should have been with them for a minimum of 6 weeks!

Anyway, we marketed the house for £480K. The house didn’t sell for nearly a year, and as we had to move to get my daughter into a good school catchment area in new Malden before the Kingston Council cut off date of Jan 2006, we took the first genuine offer that came our way which was £430K.

If we had waited another month, we would have got another £30K as a similar house to ours (but not extended like ours) on the same road sold for £450K after the August 2005 rate cut.

We are currently renting, but houses here have rebounded by approx 15%.

Crappy Chalet bungalow homes that were selling for £425K last year are selling at over £500K (I have checked these on the land registry). BTW, our old house is already back on the market with an asking price of £550K…!!!!

All in all, it’s a paper loss of approx £100K.

Oh well, live and let live I say… :-(

I live in LB Hillingdon and can confirm that houseprices don't seem to be dropping. In fact, in the Spring we had about 7 properties go on sale in our street and they all sold within a week or so of being put on the market, with the exception of an extremely overpriced 3 bed terrace which came to the market mid Summer.

I live in LB Hillingdon and can confirm that houseprices don't seem to be dropping. In fact, in the Spring we had about 7 properties go on sale in our street and they all sold within a week or so of being put on the market, with the exception of an extremely overpriced 3 bed terrace which came to the market mid Summer.

Hi Twinkle..were do you live..we live in Pinner bordering Northwood Hills....isn't crazy what houses go for here?

Hi Twinkle..were do you live..we live in Pinner bordering Northwood Hills....isn't crazy what houses go for here?

Don't know. What do they go for? It would be good to see evidence of these prices i.e LR data as opposed to the price asked.

Don't know. What do they go for? It would be good to see evidence of these prices i.e LR data as opposed to the price asked.

It doesn't matter, because they sell within weeks...can't be much under asking price.

I personal know two people who sold their house within weeks for full asking price...one was a 3 bed semi, small garden in a not so desirable area for 300k.

The other was a 2 bed renovated bungalow for 330k in a much better area.....

Hi Monopoly, we're in Uxbridge. Pinner is seen as highly desirable, hence the prices. As far as Northwood goes - I've only ever driven through it and don't really think the area has much going for it!! Having said that, from what I've seen, it is full of good family homes, peaceful and clean, and I believe the schools are good too. Ruislip, Hillingdon and Hayes seem to be full of chavs.

Hi Monopoly, we're in Uxbridge. Pinner is seen as highly desirable, hence the prices. As far as Northwood goes - I've only ever driven through it and don't really think the area has much going for it!! Having said that, from what I've seen, it is full of good family homes, peaceful and clean, and I believe the schools are good too. Ruislip, Hillingdon and Hayes seem to be full of chavs.

We only moved to the uk a couple month ago, after spending the last 8 years abroad...but that's the impression I got so far..Northwood really don't have that much going for..but it is the most expensive area..lots of big houses in the 1-2 million range...pinner is a nice, green and quiet, Ruislip north is very nice..but Ruislip south is a a different story.

I don't now Hayes and Hillingdon..but since houses are quit cheaper down there..it cant be good.North harrow is ok as well.

Outside Hillingdon is Rickmansworth which is very nice....but all too expensive..I have no idea about Uxbridge..what is it like?

Hillingdon is just one big housing estate! There is a small, posher part full of detached houses where the prices are pretty steep, and they border on North Uxbridge which is well to do with fairly high prices. South Uxbridge is not quite so nice as North (during the World Cup, I walked along one street that had about 12 England flags hanging out of the window IYKWIM) but the conservation area is lovely, and the further south you go, you get Cowley and Yiewsley, which are both a bit scruffy and run down. We've only been there since January, so don't really know much about the area. I was in Harrow beforehand and the prices for flats there was utterly ridiculous.

Edited by twinkle

Hillingdon is just one big housing estate! There is a small, posher part full of detached houses where the prices are pretty steep, and they border on North Uxbridge which is well to do with fairly high prices. South Uxbridge is not quite so nice as North (during the World Cup, I walked along one street that had about 12 England flags hanging out of the window IYKWIM) but the conservation area is lovely, and the further south you go, you get Cowley and Yiewsley, which are both a bit scruffy and run down. We've only been there since January, so don't really know much about the area. I was in Harrow beforehand and the prices for flats there was utterly ridiculous.

Yeah..we pay out of our nose for the house we rent :rolleyes:

Guest Cletus VanDamme

We are currently renting, but houses here have rebounded by approx 15%.

Crappy Chalet bungalow homes that were selling for £425K last year are selling at over £500K (I have checked these on the land registry). BTW, our old house is already back on the market with an asking price of £550K…!!!!

All in all, it’s a paper loss of approx £100K.

Oh well, live and let live I say… :-(

I think what many people on HPC don't realise is that we've already had the crash, back in 2004-5. Like you say, now prices are on the way back up again, starting as ever in London and the South East, and will soon move outwards, as it did before.

This one was pretty hilarious.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-508...=0&tr_t=buy

On Fairfield Road, Uxbridge. Lots of large nice houses on this road, which obviously sell for a lot of money up to about £1m

So this couple decided their much smaller house was worth £600k, no doubt egged on by the estate agent.

Keen as mustard, although they are still living there they have taken out all their furniture to make it seem bigger, so I guess they eat on the floor. On showing me around the owner told me in a conspiratorial tone that they had put in a 'top-quality German freestanding bathroom suite'. Ah just what I need to make spend £600k on a 1200 sqr foot house 1 hour from London.

Meanwhile, the next street along, which is a nicer road, as it is a cul-de-sac, this house

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-776...=1&tr_t=buy

went under offer and then not, as the owners said they were looking to achieve closer to asking price, as they had already had reduced it from £630k and had evidently accepted an offer a fair bit below asking.

Hmm, a 1600 square foot house nicely done up on a quieter street, or a 1200 square foot box for £600k.

I will be watching that one - I don't think it will make more than £475k.... Not that I think the keen-as-mustard eager beaver vendors will accept a realistic price for it.