House Price Crash Forum

BMIBaby Pilots threaten Strike action over 2.4% pay deal.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/5216386.stm

Haven't their management seen the latest figures? RPI is +3.3% at the moment. You'd be in a very weak bargaining position to have to accept a 0.9% real terms pay cut.

The new figures will affect every pay deal in the country, this will affect prices and so on. The 'miracle' economy sees retailers and manufacturers as some kind of 'tardis sponge', able to soak up increased costs and lower margins indefinately. You can have inflation and unemployment at the same time - weren't the MPC gurus around in the 1970s then?

If the cost of gas, electricity, water and council tax continue to increase at the rate they have for the last three years, and my wage does the same, in just five years' time my take-home pay will be less than the cost of these living expenses. It's high time this country grew some balls and downed tools until such time that wages are corrected into line with the cost of living. Until everyone stands together and says 'enough is enough' nothing will change.

See on on HTV news, on in a minute, Gas is going up again.

Inflation? What inflation? :blink:

Hmm. You can bet it'll barely make a dent in the inflation figures. They'll just factor in a few more cheap imports... :angry:

ON Channel 4 news now, they just mentioned power cuts in Londons Carnaby street, likening it to problems more often seen in India than London.

THe cuts were down to problems of overloading, so solving them there would lead to power cuts elsewhere.

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

They're probably the same people who think house prices only go up.

They're probably people who can't understand how gas prices can increase by 25% in a year when the government claim that inflation is 2.5%.

Of course if they'd been smart they'd have got into BTB (Buy To Burn) a couple of years ago and borrowed shedloads of money to buy gas and stick it in a tank. Then they'd be rejoicing that the value of the gas tanks in their back garden was increasing 25% a year.

Some of the readers comments on the BBC's 'Have your say' beggar belief. They seem to think that British Gas are raking in huge profits at the customers expense and that the government should step in and cap prices.

Some of these people are so dense they could probably bend daylight.

You wanted cheap money, you got it. Unfortunately somebody forgot to tell the masses that cheap money leads to a rising cost of living.

Some of the readers comments on the BBC's 'Have your say' beggar belief. They seem to think that British Gas are raking in huge profits at the customers expense and that the government should step in and cap prices.

British Gas owner Centrica made pre-tax profit of £1.51bn during 2005. And yet British Gas still plans to hike energy bills for its 17m customers by 22% from March 1st. Why?

One of the problems facing Centrica is that one part of the business produces and sells gas. That side has profited from the soaring wholesale price of gas. Profits at this "upstream" division rose £130m to £903m.

But the other part of the business, the British Gas side, has to buy the wholesale gas which it then sells to consumers. It lost £75m in the second half of last year, because it has been unable to pass on all of the increase in wholesale gas prices to its customers. Over the whole year, British Gas profit came in at £90m from £242m in 2004. Centrica's chief executive Sir Roy Gardener

http://www.moneyweek.com/file/8927/should-...ke-profits.html

Centrica's chief executive Sir Roy Gardener said: "British Gas as a stand-alone business would not survive."

However if BG didn't exist it would be more transparent who makes the money.

If you're the company that makes gas and sell it wholesale to your own gas-shops and make a huge profit you don't care whether your shops make a loss as its bound to be a big tax writeoff.

Guest Bart of Darkness

According to Yahoo

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/27072006/344/brit...rgy-prices.html

The company blamed the soaring cost of the wholesale gas it buys to supply its customers which saw British Gas make record losses of £143 million in the first half of "its most difficult year".

The losses at British Gas cut Centrica's overall pre-tax profits from £894 million to £569 million in the six months to June 30.

Anybody care to have a pop at these figures?

British Gas are just the middle men between Russia (Gazprom) and you. In fact Gazprom want to bid for them in February. I reckon they'll wait until this Winter before they try again - they can always turn off the tap.

I think we'llfind fewer objections to the government's nuclear ambitions the more prices rise.

Exxon-Mobil just announced their Q profits--the 2nd highest for a publically listed Company EVER. $1b a day or $1200 a second--of profits!

The fuel suppliers are having a field day. They must be praying in groups for a bad Hurricane Season so they can shut down a few rigs and jack oil up a bit more.

Oh well, its all less money for the housing bubble :)

British Gas are just the middle men between Russia (Gazprom) and you. In fact Gazprom want to bid for them in February. I reckon they'll wait until this Winter before they try again - they can always turn off the tap.

I think we'llfind fewer objections to the government's nuclear ambitions the more prices rise.

UK COAL (LSE:UKC.L) Edit

Last Trade: 191.00 p

Trade Time: 4:22PM

Change: Down 1.50 (0.78%)

Prev Close: 192.50

Open: 191.00

Bid: 191.00

Ask: 192.00

1y Target Est: 155.00

KEY STATISTICS

52 wks change(1 yr): +13.08%

Its baaack

http://business.guardian.co.uk/story/0,,1831519,00.html

11.45pm

Shell makes £1.6m an hour

Mark Tran

Thursday July 27, 2006

Guardian Unlimited

Royal Dutch Shell today reported a 36% rise in second quarter profits on the back of higher oil prices and improved performance.
For the three months to June 30, Shell made a profit of $6.3bn (£3.4bn), the equivalent of £1.6m an hour.

Ever think the entire fuel market is one giant scam? Akin to the HPI pyramid with illusory shortgages and a captive market.

British Gas owner Centrica made pre-tax profit of £1.51bn during 2005. And yet British Gas still plans to hike energy bills for its 17m customers by 22% from March 1st. Why?

One of the problems facing Centrica is that one part of the business produces and sells gas. That side has profited from the soaring wholesale price of gas. Profits at this "upstream" division rose £130m to £903m.

But the other part of the business, the British Gas side, has to buy the wholesale gas which it then sells to consumers. It lost £75m in the second half of last year, because it has been unable to pass on all of the increase in wholesale gas prices to its customers. Over the whole year, British Gas profit came in at £90m from £242m in 2004. Centrica's chief executive Sir Roy Gardener

http://www.moneyweek.com/file/8927/should-...ke-profits.html

Centrica's chief executive Sir Roy Gardener said: "British Gas as a stand-alone business would not survive."

However if BG didn't exist it would be more transparent who makes the money.

If you're the company that makes gas and sell it wholesale to your own gas-shops and make a huge profit you don't care whether your shops make a loss as its bound to be a big tax writeoff.

Very good point and highlights where the price inflation is coming from.

Not a lot the govt can do against huge increases in gas spot prices.

They are making huge profits. It is like petrol stations saying they make a tiny profit on each gallon sold (they do) but the company one stage higher on the production line makes loads of profit. The same goes for British Gas it is in effect a shell (no pun) for Centrica so it looks like they are making no profit when in effect the company above i.e. Centrica is raking it in.

Electricity might get expensive soon:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtm...27/cncool27.xml

The spot price of electricity yesterday morning jumped 73pc over the same time on Tuesday after the National Grid's warning. By late afternoon, when the warning had been withdrawn, the price was £147 per megawatt hour, 25.6pc more than the same time on Tuesday.
Last week's warning by the National Grid led the spot price of electricity to treble briefly.

Inflation anyone?

I think the only way forward has to be a solar hot water system - why they're not being advertised on tv yet I don't know.

OK solar air conditioning would be nice too - but one thing at a time.

Are the planning laws relaxed yet?

Guest Bart of Darkness

I think the only way forward has to be a solar hot water system - why they're not being advertised on tv yet I don't know.

I bookmarked this link after seeing it in a previous thread.

http://www.solartwin.com/

Someone in UK.DIY ng has had solar water system installed at the start of the year and has been very impressed with it.

2499 ex works for the DIY kit is a bit steep though - I'm sure I've seen it about that much installed.

http://www.navitron.org.uk/

I have this one bookmarked

http://www.navitron.org.uk/solar_collector_panel.htm

This reckons you could power underfloor heating with it too - but it'd take a lot of work putting that in - but could be well worth it in the long run. A few PV cells and wind turbine and you could be quite happy.

EDF are to increase their gas prices by 19% and British Gas theirs by 12.4%. These price rises need to be taken together with the quarter one increases from these companies of 14.7% and 22% respectively - together this means both companies (coincidentally?) have increased the retail price of gas by 37% this year.

Gas prices up again

These increases were absolutely inevitable. The question is what happens to electricity supply. Last winter coal supplied 18 per cent more electricity than in the same period a year earlier, while gas supplied 17 per cent less. The country is dramatically shifting from gas to coal.

cv_fuelused4elec_q106.gif

UK Energy Trends

Also note the 31% increase in electricity imports!

I doubt they'll lower the price, but we have shedloads of coal in the ground in the UK.

Of course this totally buggers up the government's 'global warming' scam because we originally switched from coal to gas to reduce CO2 emissions (and so Maggie could sack more miners).

In Australia you can buy a complete "off the shelf" solar hot water heater including panels, tank, plumbing connections etc and it will cost about $2500 installed in a "simple" installation. A bit more for complex installations. Several major hot water manufacturers make them. The better ones use either gas or off-peak electricity for boosting (some lesser models use peak electricity which blows the $ savings big time).

Also heat pump water heaters work well (though not so good in UK as they prefer temperatures above 0'C) in some climates. 70% power saving and the tank doesn't need direct sunlight so good for properties which don't have a roof facing the right way etc. Some of these can use off-peak power in which case they cost hardly anything to run.

As for air-conditioning, an ordinary reverse cycle air-conditioner will save 60-70% on heating power use compared to an electric heater and they are pretty cheap these days (they are in Oz at least). Even the bigger ones not much more than AUD2000 installed these days.

Edited by Smurf1976