House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
iLegallyBlonde

Another Gem From Mumsnet

Thought you might like this one,

It's causing a riot !!

"If you are a private owner (or even privately renting) would this annoy you? We found out our next door neighbors (we live in a block of flats) are council tenants - the building is mainly privately owned. I feel irrationally annoyed about it. I've thought about it and here is why:

* We saved for years and pay a big mortgage so we can afford our own place but they have the same type of accommodation for much less ££ each month.

* Because they do not pay as much rent/mortgage as us the mother can stay at home (the father works, fair due to him). I have to work full time so I suppose I'm jealous.

So basically it annoys me in a 3-yr-old stamping feet 'life is not fair' sort of way.

I also (and this is possibly nothing to do with their council tenant status) feel we have nothing in common with them so would never make neighbourly friends with them. They are pleasant enough to get on with but I have seen evidence of a temper and I would not feel comfortable confronting them about their loud music. I also feel that tenants (and this would apply to private tenants, possibly) do not have as much vested interest in keeping the place well looked after. Although we spent many yrs as private tenants and always tried to be respectful. I also know that as tenants we felt 'picked on' if you like by some snobby management companies. I don't want to be like that.

So, do you think I am being a terrible snob? I probably am but the 3-yr old inside won't let me get over it yet!

W xx "

It's causing a riot !!

"If you are a private owner (or even privately renting) would this annoy you? We found out our next door neighbors (we live in a block of flats) are council tenants - the building is mainly privately owned. I feel irrationally annoyed about it. I've thought about it and here is why:

* We saved for years and pay a big mortgage so we can afford our own place but they have the same type of accommodation for much less ££ each month.

* Because they do not pay as much rent/mortgage as us the mother can stay at home (the father works, fair due to him). I have to work full time so I suppose I'm jealous.

So basically it annoys me in a 3-yr-old stamping feet 'life is not fair' sort of way.

I also (and this is possibly nothing to do with their council tenant status) feel we have nothing in common with them so would never make neighbourly friends with them. They are pleasant enough to get on with but I have seen evidence of a temper and I would not feel comfortable confronting them about their loud music. I also feel that tenants (and this would apply to private tenants, possibly) do not have as much vested interest in keeping the place well looked after. Although we spent many yrs as private tenants and always tried to be respectful. I also know that as tenants we felt 'picked on' if you like by some snobby management companies. I don't want to be like that.

So, do you think I am being a terrible snob? I probably am but the 3-yr old inside won't let me get over it yet!

W xx "

Anyone buying ex local authority who isn't prepared for the possibility of muggers living next door has had their head in the sand for a long time.

Ops it's baby-greenhouse.co.uk, you have to go to the home page and then go to debates, think you have to register though and please nobody shit stir there are a few people on that site close to loosing their homes and they are mothers with young children/babies.

It's causing a riot !!

W xx "

Anyone in this circumstance can check the lease and try to ensure via the flats management company (directed to the person who owns the flat being let) that the occupants are adhering to the rules in the lease. It's up to the landlord of the let flat to ensure their tenants behave - There should be an agreement between the landlord and tennants to adhere to certain rules similar to those in the lease.

And the new builds, bought by investors to be rented..

Too whom..

Drive round any new build estate and what do you see..? fat women watching their dirty kids play.. a rothman cigarette dangling from the corner of their mouths as roots look dirty....

Sorry, apom will stop...

I have seen...

"Executive apartments" instantly rendered almost council to live in..

Its the neighbours.. if its rented, well who knows who will move in..

Look at the hate preacher Abu Hamza and his brood who live rent free in a nice 5 bed house worth £600k in an expensive road in Hammersmith & Fulham. The Council has just spent £25k of your money on doing the place up and the family apparently receive £1000 a week in handouts.

I feel a bit sorry for the Cabinet minister who has bought the place next door - he has to earn over £100k to live in the same place!

This sort of thing is repeated all over London - no point in working as you are worse off and lose your housing benefit. Its enough to make your blood boil!

Guest X-QUORK

On the plus side though, Abu Hamza has just been told by the Royal Navy to sling his hook (sorry about that) as he tried to board a frigate bound for Cyprus from Beruit.

And the new builds, bought by investors to be rented..

Too whom..

Drive round any new build estate and what do you see..? fat women watching their dirty kids play.. a rothman cigarette dangling from the corner of their mouths as roots look dirty....

Sorry, apom will stop...

I have seen...

"Executive apartments" instantly rendered almost council to live in..

Its the neighbours.. if its rented, well who knows who will move in..

the council's not going to allow all those thousands of new build flats in the docklands lay empty for long. sooner or later the compulsory purchase orders will come in and the council tenants will move in. happened to a flat i was renting two years ago - the whole block was privately owned until the council forced them to hand it over - for less than market value - and all these freaks started moving in.

in fact, most of the flats were occupied before the hand over, so it doesn't matter if the flats are empty or not.

On the plus side though, Abu Hamza has just been told by the Royal Navy to sling his hook (sorry about that) as he tried to board a frigate bound for Cyprus from Beruit.

It's hilarious :lol:

Whatever happenend to his jihadi "we love death" rants? hope theres an Israeli rocket with his name on it

I have some sympthy for this Mum - but why the heck didn't she know who the neighbours were going to be?

Just shows how quality of life and standard of living alike have tumbled recently due to HPI and other causes.

My Dad used to moan sometimes about a dole-fiddler up the road who had himself and his family housed for free. To be fair, in the 80s, your free house was clumped together with all the local scowl-faced oddballs. Most people doing a proper job back then, middle class or working class, would live somewhere a bit nicer.

This difference now is that with ex-council houses (still situated among the local oddballs) costing zillions even the comparatively well-off young people are living the exact lifestyle as those having it for free.

So you have the stress incurred in a skilful long-hours job, feel like a trapped slave, fret over whether or not you can afford the bills each month, get stressed out all the time, have no fun, hate your job and have nothing more than your neighbour who either has a 250k house he bought from the taxpayer for £40k and only needs to engage in a easy-peasy sinecure to cover the cost, has a monthly rent way below private rates, or has the whole ensemble provided for free.

Worse, you’d be doing quite well to buy a £250k 3-bed ex-council house (or flat in London). Can’t afford that? Well, then you’d have to perhaps double or treble your income to simply reach the same level as someone having it all paid for free!

If you find that all too depressing, make sure you get a certificate from your Doctor saying as much and don’t forget to break down enough to get a living allowance. Feel all the weight lifted.

This isn’t a reactionary argument. Personally, I’d like to see a universal citizen’s income that covers that basics of life - food, shelter, and clothing - paid for by replacing most debt-money with publicly created money. Then if you want to spend all your day in jelly sandals and a Nesquik-soiled XXL ‘I test-drove the Nissan Micra’ t-shirt watching Homes Under the Hammer and you’re not harming anyone so be it. Better that than getting frogmarched down to the Millie’s Cookies stand to hand out diabetes to passers by. This way all the people who want to work can do so without feeling like there’s a load of people getting something for free off their backs.

Edited by CrashedOutAndBurned

What's wrong here isn't the rent that the council tenants are paying; it's the muppets, like the poster, who've bid house prices up to such ludicrous levels that even with historically low interest rates their mortgage payments are now so much more than affordable market rents.

Edited by Jeff Ross

Personally, I'd like to see a universal citizen's income that covers that basics of life - food, shelter, and clothing - paid for by replacing most debt-money with publicly created money. Then if you want to spend all your day in jelly sandals and a Nesquik-soiled XXL 'I test-drove the Nissan Micra' t-shirt watching Homes Under the Hammer and you’re not harming anyone so be it. Better that than getting frogmarched down to the Millie's Cookies stand to hand out diabetes to passers by. This way all the people who want to work can do so without feeling like there's a load of people getting something for free off their backs. [COAB]

Good post. Even without changing our monetary system there's already enough paid in benefits and tax allowances to cover a CBI of £100 a week as Chris Dillow explains in 'The case for basic income':

http://stumblingandmumbling.typepad.com/st...ase_for_ba.html

...given the CBI, you can do what you want; part-time work, study, setting up a small business. In this sense, a CBI ends the dependency culture and promotes self-reliance. The CBI says: let's give up trying to second-guess how people are going to lead their lives and crafting responses to the problems they might encounter. Instead, give them the money and let them get on with it.

I'd be inclined to have a lower CBI of around £80 a week and retain Child Benefit and a more tapered Housing Benefit also payable to owner occupiers on low incomes.

Edited by Jeff Ross