House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Jason

Public Spending Watchdog's Verdict On Gordon Brown [telegraph]

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml...23/nbrown23.xml

Sir John Bourn, the Auditor General, has launched a blistering attack on the Chancellor, Gordon Brown, branding the Treasury's flagship tax credits policy "a failure" and describing the expansion of means testing as "ridiculous".
The country's most senior public spending watchdog, Sir John also told The Sunday Telegraph that Network Rail's £23 billion debt should be on the Government's books - which would shatter the Chancellor's spending rules, causing the Government intense embarrassment.
He also said official statisticians felt "real anger" that their independence "is being subverted" by ministers.

Gordon Brown gets a kicking!!!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtm...23/ccliam23.xml

Until last week I had never been in the boardroom at the National Audit Office. It is one of London's hidden art deco gems - a visual feast of wood inlay and sweeping curves, albeit somewhat faded with age.
Sitting down with Sir John Bourn, the Comptroller and Auditor-General, my mind was on anything but the decor. After all, this highly respected figure, the UK's most senior public spending watchdog, very rarely gives interviews.
I started by asking about tax credits - Gordon Brown's flagship policy, designed to top up low incomes. Earlier this month HM Revenue & Customs admitted that the system is losing £1.3bn annually to fraud and error - more than double the predicted sum.

I think this is quite important. So why isn't it on the BBC News?

Edit: That's BBC News on TV and on the BBC News website.

Edited by Jason

Guest mattsta1964

I think this is quite important. So why isn't it on the BBC News?

A VERY GOOD AND VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION WHICH NEEDS ANSWERING!

What I find really disturbing is that I haven't seen it on the news anywhere?

Anyone found anything?

Seen some stuff on the CSA today - maybe they're saving this little gem up for tomorrow.. :angry: