House Price Crash Forum

Barking (london) & Seaford (east Sussex)

HOLA441

Looking to move from Barking to Seaford (East Sussex) and start a verrrrrry long daily commute back up to the big smoke.

My property (2 bed flat, 1997 build) was previously marketed in October 2004, when a number of agents suggested an asking price of £147.5k - £150k. After a few weeks at £150k with little interest, I reduced to £145k, before a period of hospitalisation forced me to withdraw.

I am now being advised to ask £145k ish, and expect to sell for £137k ish, possibly £135k, which is about £10k less than the peak of the market. 2-bedders here rent for £750 pcm, so that equates to a 6.6% gross yield. It will almost certainly be bought by an investor - plentiful supply of recent migrants around these parts.

In Seaford, I have been following prices for a while. The market seems livelier than Barking, but nevertheless prices aren't going anywhere fast. I'm looking in the £250k - £350k price range, and whilst bungalows in decent condition are going for fairly strong prices, houses are 'sticking' unless they are priced to sell.

Will update as the transaction proceeds.