House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
plumbob

Lay Offs.

Here it comes. Heard last week of two small/medium size builders (100 plots a year ish) battening down the hatches. All staff and sub contractors laid off. Another larger builder who a guy I know works for are only releasing one second fix (doors , skirtings, radiators, boiler. No kitchen or bathrooms) a month on certain sites and nothing new coming out of the ground. It can't be long now before the big boys start to feel the pinch and have to do the same. It happened last time. Sales teams are frantically checking out the rivals to see what the punter gets for his money from such and such builder compared to themselves. They are even employing 'Dolly birds' to hand out glossy leaflets in my town on a Saturday promoting a development some twenty miles away, in a much larger city. Dont think things are to rosy at the moment. Glad I got out of it a year ago..

Here it comes. Heard last week of two small/medium size builders (100 plots a year ish) battening down the hatches. All staff and sub contractors laid off. Another larger builder who a guy I know works for are only releasing one second fix (doors , skirtings, radiators, boiler. No kitchen or bathrooms) a month on certain sites and nothing new coming out of the ground. It can't be long now before the big boys start to feel the pinch and have to do the same. It happened last time. Sales teams are frantically checking out the rivals to see what the punter gets for his money from such and such builder compared to themselves. They are even employing 'Dolly birds' to hand out glossy leaflets in my town on a Saturday promoting a development some twenty miles away, in a much larger city. Dont think things are to rosy at the moment. Glad I got out of it a year ago..

Plumbob - Can you add your location to your profile so we know which area we are talking about? As you may be aware - the market is different in every area of the country.

TB

Plumbob - Can you add your location to your profile so we know which area we are talking about? As you may be aware - the market is different in every area of the country.

TB

Notts.

It's everyone at the moment though, not just builders - I work for a multinational company which made in excess of £2Bn profit last year and we're facing redundancies at the moment due to agressive offshoring. Time will come when we're a nation of shopkeepers and workers as everything else will be offshored.