House Price Crash Forum

Daily Telegraph Article.

Guest UK Debt Slave

HOLA441
Guest mattsta1964

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/main.j...22/ixpmain.html

Well! There you have it! We are all a bunch of paranoid conspiracy theorists. We have a positive vendetta against home owners, strange that seeing as I own my own home (Or should I say, the mortgage company owns it for another 17 years and my chances of ever owning the place outright are about as likely as a lottery jackpot)

Excuse me while I go and take my purple pill and hallucinate for a few hours.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/main.j...22/ixpmain.html

Well! There you have it! We are all a bunch of paranoid conspiracy theorists. We have a positive vendetta against home owners, strange that seeing as I own my own home (Or should I say, the mortgage company owns it for another 17 years and my chances of ever owning the place outright are about as likely as a lottery jackpot)

Excuse me while I go and take my purple pill and hallucinate for a few hours.

Indeed, its very interested what we are all so derranged and should be avoided like the plague.

There is a mention that house prices have not moved for months, but when we see reports such as the RM one saying house prices rising fastest they have in 5 years, there is no criticism or warning about how loopy they are?????

....Very Interesting.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Not a bad article actually. This site is full of bitter, twisted and jealous people (me included at times). I'm not sure it's good for your spiritual health to spend too much time here, I always come away wound up and wanting to walk into the local estate agents with cemtex strapped round my waist! Also his comment that no one knows what will happen next is true. He didn't attack our arguments, he just suggested we were too venomous in the way we put them across.

Edited by HovelinHove

HOLA446
Guest mattsta1964

Not a bad article actually. This site is full of bitter, twisted and jealous people (me included at times). I'm not sure it's good for your spiritual health to spend too much time here, I always come away wound up and wanting to walk into the local estate agents with cemtex strapped round my waist! Also his comment that no one knows what will happen next is true. He didn't attack our arguments, he just suggested we were too venomous in the way we put them across.

Excuse me but you have every right to be bitter and twisted.

No doubt, you work for a living, pay your taxes and make a positive contribution to society

You reward for you endeavours is to be totally excluded from sharing in the nations prosperity or being forced into debt slavery in the mistaken belief that you might profit from such folly in the future.

Much as I dislike Estate agents, it is the architects of this insanity you should vent you bile at.

Errr....Semtex is going a bit too far I think! :blink:

HOLA447

This article is a fantastic advert for this site and HPC generally. The editor of the Torygraph not only mentions this site but even mentions specific threads, and talks about the danger of a crash (althoguh of course he says he thinks it won't happen).

HOLA448

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/main.j...15/ixpmain.html

Oh look, it's Eddy on property again.........

Edmund Conway, the Daily Telegraph Economics Editor, offers expert inside knowledge of the housing market

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/core/Content/di...e=16&page=0

Word on the street: it's good news from our French friends [we'll avoid a drop in house prices]

Oh look

No return to Jenga

In a supremely delicate balancing act, the Bank of England may have laid the building blocks for long-term equilibrium in the housing market, suggests Edmund Conway

Edmund Conway in the House magazine (House of Commons)

http://www.epolitix.com/EN/Publications/Ho...169_31/home.htm

I have to access to the content of this article, does anyone subscribe? If so, what does he write here?

Edited by gruffydd

HOLA449

Here's the links to the threads he mentions:

Are We Living In One Huge Scam, Take the Red Pill or the Blue Pill

(thread about the monetary system and fractional reserve banking)

The Perfect Storm Is Coming, Probably in 2005-2006

The Arguments For Rising House Prices Debunked, This article explains it all

Edited by Jason

HOLA4410

Skimmed through the article, he makes some interesting points but in general it's just padding using hpc.co.uk as a foil.

Of course there's loads of weirdos on this site, which open forum doesn't have the same problem? You get plenty of nutters adding comments to Telegraph articles on-line.

The real issues with debt don't get fully examined, the role of MEW in contributing to the wider economy, the public sector binge, stagnant private sector etc etc, don't get a mention. All of which mean that the housing market is tied up in a bigger, uglier picture. But hey, it will turn out OK won't it? He sounds more like a smug "nothing bad should ever happen to the middle classes" Times columnist.

The idea that we all hate home owners is a bit of an overgeneralisation, especially when so many of here (myself included) are right wingers who attribute much of the blame for this boom to the present government.

It also seems he forget to read the piece in his own newspaper about the lady who has 900K of property but lives off 450 quid a month :lol:

HOLA4411

One thing I totally disagree with is this line "positive vendetta against homeowners".

Now hold on... I only dislike those people who tell me I should blindly go into property investment. They are however very smart homeowners, who actual dislike high house prices as they realise what it really means:

-The cost of moving up the property ladder costs more

-Their children will not be able to afford a home of their own

-They will have to pay more inheritance tax

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
Guest grumpy-old-man

me too HH, drives the wife nuts :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

HOLA4414

I'm quite glad that HPC is getting more airtime... perhaps today's exposure will result in more individuals passing by to see what the loonies are getting all hot and bothered about.

In a nutshell, at least those who are on this board are fully aware of the issues surrounding the housing market... MEW, massive debt (both public and private), forthcoming interest rate rises (around the world), commodity strength, fraudulent doctoring of inflation figures by governments...

I would have thought that the Telegraph would LOVE this site...

Surely the sort of intelligent discussion points that would never be found in ignorant gutter press like the Express & Mail.

HOLA4415

Quote from article.."I wouldn't recommend the site to anyone looking for a balanced take on the market: many of its users seem to have a positive vendetta against homeowners. "

Actually it's a positive vendetta against greedy multiple HOUSEowners. A homeowner is someone who lives in a property they call home.

I'm a proud and happy homeowner, and I just hope things change so that my kids can experience it too when they fly the nest. :angry:

HOLA4416

Edmund Conway describes how a 'friend of friend' has a temper problem and goes on to ascribe the same problem to HPC members. I have three concerns with this article:

(1) His analysis of HPC members is difficult to agree with since there are so many different sorts on this website (bulls, bears and people of every political persuasion). He has simply used a flimsy generalisation in order to create a story.

(2) There is no research in the article and no interesting statistics or theories.

(3) For a person who is faced with giving up 50 per cent of his salary to put a roof over his family's head, this article comes across condescending and has a strong flavour of 'I'm alright jack'.

I do not like the Guardian one tiny bit but I have to say that (in general) their quality of journalism is infinitely better than Eric Conway's little effort. Perhaps he should move to mail.

(grammar edit)

Edited by dog

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
I'm afraid this is kind of dismissive press coverage HPC is only ever going to get until well after any possible correction occurs. Then and only then might you get something decent.

Nah, after a crash they'll all be blaming this site for causing it.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
Guest Bart of Darkness
He has simply used a flimsy generalisation in order to create a story.

There is no research in the article and no interesting statistics or theories.

In other words, British journalism at its typical "best".

HOLA4421

I'm afraid this is kind of dismissive press coverage HPC is only ever going to get until well after any possible correction occurs. Then and only then might you get something decent.

HPC simply does not have a media friendly message.

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.

Mohandas Gandhi

HOLA4422

HPC mentioned in the Telegraph, linked on the BBC site, referred to in The Times, The Guardian....................

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. HPC has a disproportionate influence. The more the VIs diss it the more likely it is to find contributors.

http://technology.guardian.co.uk/news/stor...1755777,00.html

Ignore bloggers at your peril, say researchers

Bobbie Johnson, technology correspondent
Tuesday April 18, 2006
The Guardian
Bloggers and internet pundits are exerting a
"disproportionately large influence"
on society, according to a report by a technology research company. Its study suggests that although "active" web users make up only a small proportion of Europe's online population, they are increasingly dominating public conversations and creating business trends.

HOLA4423

Do you think his aggresive friend was real, or just a made up link for his story.

Not many people can be arsed to argue the toss anymore.

That said, perhalps angry friend was simply sick of one more stubborn idiot blithely uttering the same old VI perpetuated myths about

how houses only ever go up.

HOLA4424

Why doesn't he embrace/contribute to the discussion rather than attack it? - because he views it as a threat to their circulation figures - he's obviously seen the recent Alexa ratings

You'll see more of this kind of attack as the internet starts to encroach on established media outlets

HOLA4425