House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
enworb

Following On From "how Has This Site Helped You"

Or how much money have you gained/lost because of taking the plunge?

I would have been £30k down had I not bought last year.

It would be helpful to know where you would have been buying. My guess is those that would have bought in London are now regretting not buying, but those buying in some other areas are very happy indeed.

I would have been pretty much evens - there's been very little downward movement near me. Did start to go down a bit then evened up again.

Saying that, If I'd have bought 18 months ago I wouldn't have the extra 15k in cash that I have at the moment, and I wouldn't be completely debt free either....

It would be helpful to know where you would have been buying. My guess is those that would have bought in London are now regretting not buying, but those buying in some other areas are very happy indeed.

I don't think I have saved much money but my standard of living has been significantly better than it would have been.

Easily 50k up on settlement and mortgage interest costs, buying v renting like for like in Kensington; then there's the 30k or so I've made by putting the same capital to work elsewhere over the same timeframe.

Clearly - real-estate barely keeps pace with its own replacement cost in markets like this.

Next.

I was going to buy in Bristol November last year until I found this site. Currently down by about 15K as prices are currently shooting up.

:D

Edited by devslim

Easily 50k up on settlement and mortgage interest costs, buying v renting like for like in Kensington; then there's the 30k or so I've made by putting the same capital to work elsewhere over the same timeframe.

Clearly - real-estate barely keeps pace with its own replacement cost in markets like this.

Next.

What state has made you "easily 50K up"?

Sorry, it isn't clear whether you're a renter or a mortgage-payer.

Most folk taking advice from posters on this site will have lost a fortune : :lol:

I certainly have, theoretically. I'm not to worried though as it means I still have a large deposit which I intend to blow on crack whores and mind bending drugs as a consolation.

:D:P

In 2003 I found this site and believed every word. But house prices kept rising!

In 2005 I bought a house because I realised that the people on here didn't really know what would happen and ultimately it was my life and my decision.

I don't regret it for a moment either. Owning a house is owning a home, somewhere I can plant my fruit trees and watch them grow.

I might be 10-15k up on 2005 prices right now. had I bought in 2003 I would more likely be 50k up.

The "crash" that people on here want so badly is a fantasy.

In 2003 I found this site and believed every word. But house prices kept rising!

In 2005 I bought a house because I realised that the people on here didn't really know what would happen and ultimately it was my life and my decision.

I don't regret it for a moment either. Owning a house is owning a home, somewhere I can plant my fruit trees and watch them grow.

I might be 10-15k up on 2005 prices right now. had I bought in 2003 I would more likely be 50k up.

The "crash" that people on here want so badly is a fantasy.

The crash is a fantasy?????

I am sorry but you only have to read all the VI press releases. They make it QUITE clear in every one that the current CONDITIONS mean we have a stable market. They know and everyone else knows that it can crash as quickly as it boomed. Once the credit and confidence is gone then they are in trouble.

The crash will happen! When we do not know! What is a crash 10/20/30/40/50/60%? It could be 20%, it could be 40% but it WILL HAPPEN one day. It happens over a long period of time as well. The current economic climate (next 12 months) points to that day being sooner than you think....

TB

I certainly have, theoretically. I'm not to worried though as it means I still have a large deposit which I intend to blow on crack whores and mind bending drugs as a consolation.

:D:P

Althought not to such an extreme, I do wonder if I could get away with doing something like this. Take all my cash and go on a bender for a couple of years and then take myself to the dole office with my hand open and get someone else to pay for my existence.....feels a lot of the time like it really doesn't pay very well to work hard these days.

I'm about even stevens since I discovered this site in mid 2005. Rent is under 3K, I've saved an extra 18K (plus interest) and prices have gone up around 12-15K in this area (but they haven't budged in the area I want to move to in a few years - if anything they are slightly down). Meantime I can still enjoy the odd curry (which I couldn't if I had a mortgage). :D

It seems that those that didn't buy back when this site first started out regret it the most.

And it's also apparent that there are plenty of members that are financially very astute which is why not buying hasn't cost them much at all. I doubt the same can't be said about the average person who will find it ever more difficult to get onto the ladder because of their inability to save.

I wonder how the rest of th year will unfold. I predict a minimum of 5% increase over the last two quarters because of the news that hips won't be as expensive and mainly because people are willing to risk taking out large mortgages.

Ahead by 7-figures.

STL years ago, with the money going into mining shares at the bottom of the Gold price cycle.

Where you invest matters more than where you dont.

The Bulls here may not believe it, but there are FAR BETTER places to invest than property

Just a quick question. As you could probably always outperform property, even during a crazy boom, would you ever buy a property to live in? Surely that would be 'dead money' ( :blink: ) as that cash would be far more productive through your investing.

Are we talking REAL money, or the fantasy money that the VI's constantly bang on about? I'm saving around £500 a month on renting, at the moment, compared to a mortgage for a house of this 'value'.

If I'd bought in '99 I might have been sitting on a paper profit of around 100% - but I didn't as I couldn't afford it then, and I really really can't afford it now.

Clangnuts

The thing is that for the majority of the UK population, even in todays crazy property orientated world, most buy a property to live in and make a home and as FTB age increases this will become more and more the norm with starting families and such like.

Well done Bubb you've made a killing but a 7 figure profit from your STR fund tells me that you would have made money from your investments anyway (I think I have seen the amount of your STR fund written somewhere) without selling your property.

But why are you not happy with making 7 figure profits? If people still want to buy property now, then or whenever then let them as for may people it is not a profit making excersise.

And remember, property always goes up longterm. Ask you grandparents. Most have made handsome amounts by doing nothing more than enjoying the property that they live in.

And lend us a tenner....

binkybonka.

Ask you grandparents

Not a good question, what would they say - yes we were lucky, the baby boom followed us, successive governments wrote IOU's to increase real incomes over or lifetimes to give us money in our pockets and we lived through a period where credit grew from stigma to a level where banks were litterally throwing it at us (our childre, and their children) like confetti, not even minding if we had to lie a little to get it.

I doubt you would get that answer, but that pretty much sums it up - exapansion, expansion in raw numbers, risk and liabilties.

Do you really believe this is sustainable, or, will there be a point where defaults stop the debt and credit streamroller in its tracks and with ever increasing personal liabilities future gernations will simply not be able to sustain the debt growth.

Is the whole credit/debt growth scenario and ever expanding one or is it actually cyclical. You may have a totallly differnt story to tell your grandchildren.