House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ivor.bigun

Rented House 'falls Through' After Signing Contract

Hi Guys,

First post, and it's not a good one! Anyway we were meant to be moving house (rental) in a few days time and the flat agency called this morning to say the landlord who is currently living there is not going move out in time because the contract for his new house has not been signed yet! I have already signed a contract and paid deposit and rent to the agency the other week, so I surprised to say the least when I got this phone call! I've looked at other places for rent by the agency and they are all rubbish, and looked at other agencies, but they all require references and the time is running out as we need to be out of our current place asap! I will call citizens advice bureau tomorrow asap, but if I get to sh1tty with the agency, even if they put the landlord out on the street and let me move in, they will just end the contract after 6 months and we'll have to move again.

Anyone any thoughts other than CAB?

Regards

Sorry to hear that Ivor - shit happens. The agency will give you your rent and deposit back but legally you have nowhere to go - if the landlord didn't sign a contract he is under no obligation - if its any consolation the agency will be as pissed off with him as you losing their fat fee. If you have already paid an application fee my advice is stick with the same agent otherwise you will have to shell out again.

The agency have said that I can get all of my (nonrefundable) fees and deposit back - so that is something I guess! They are very apologetic, but to be honest that counts for very little at the moment!

Cheers