House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
I'M WITH STUPID

Manchester City Centre Estate Agents

Anyone out there with recent experience of using a city centre estate agent in Machester to sell their property. I've been using Reeds Rains to sell a one bed flat in Century Buildings and am wondering if its time to ditch them. Any constructive comments welcome.

Anyone out there with recent experience of using a city centre estate agent in Machester to sell their property. I've been using Reeds Rains to sell a one bed flat in Century Buildings and am wondering if its time to ditch them. Any constructive comments welcome.

i know nothing about manchester apart from there is lot of 'talk' on this subforum about an apparent oversupply of flats in/around manchester.

for example:-

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...=27019&st=0

is this alleged oversupply the reason you haven't sold yet and not necessarily the agents fault?

anecdotals are always welcome...

i guess this reply just about counts as being 'constructive' :P

I guess I've got a fair bit of experience of them. How long has the property been on the market for? Im assuming that they will only charge a fee if a sale occurs, so why not enlist with as many agents as possible? The century buildings, in my opinion, is one of the better investments in manc city centre-great loctaion and high standard fit-out. I think it will hold its value better than most. Having said that, they are very pricey for what you get (rather like the last place I live at in town-Rossettii place). May I ask how much it is on the market for?

Cheers Bob - its been up since march - I keep being told Century is a 'niche' market and buyers are looking for 'value for money' - what really stuck the knife in was King Sturge selling another one bed in there on the first viewing - am getting tired of their excuses

Have the 2 bed flat we are living in in W3 with Reeds Rains, since April. Had about 6 viewings, 2 seconds, but no offers. We are somewhat disappointed about lack of constructive feedback from RR, but the guy we dealt with originally got promoted to the Wigan branch and we have felt a bit disconnected since he went. In the meantime our personal circumstances have changed and we are not sure where we should be living. Went with RR over A N Other as A N Other gave us what we thought was a low valuation and were instead pushing us hard to rent it out when we wanted to sell.

Edited by luke

Luke - the guys at RR have a take it or leave it attitude - its interesting that you are having a similar experience - I get the impression they would rather be re-selling 2 beds in castelfield to block invetors than a quality pad to an owner occupier - Tom the branch manager has an answer for everything but I will be switching to King Sturge before the month is out - 2 of the staff at the KS branch actually live in century buildings. Who was the other agent - not Hunters?

W3 is nice, I rent there currently. I'd buy but a lot of stuff is overpriced in my (humble) opinion. Saw three flats valued at 250k recently, bit strange.

I've been on a few viewings with RR and they seemed ok in terms of showing stuff around. Most of the city centre estate agents seem to be a bit unenthusiastic, presumably because not much seems to be selling.

Hunters are worth a look if only for the eye candy ;)

Hunters seem to over-value the properties on offer IMHO. Their rental prices are at best 'aspirational' and at worst a joke (have you seen the 1.5m flat on their books? some local barristors).. Avoid curtis & bains at all costs...think they have changed their name again...used to be homes direct...had a nightmare with them.

I dont work with estate agents much, but the developers I speak to have been a little concerned with the city centre market for a while now. You may have to accept a lower offer than you would like. Perhaps you may be better off sitting tight and renting the property out. Provided the rental is high enough ( i assume its on the high end of the scale for century), and your rate deal is fixed for a while, you may be alright. I doubt you woulkd suffer any drop in rental demand there.

Hunters seem to over-value the properties on offer IMHO. Their rental prices are at best 'aspirational' and at worst a joke (have you seen the 1.5m flat on their books? some local barristors).. Avoid curtis & bains at all costs...think they have changed their name again...used to be homes direct...had a nightmare with them.

I dont work with estate agents much, but the developers I speak to have been a little concerned with the city centre market for a while now. You may have to accept a lower offer than you would like. Perhaps you may be better off sitting tight and renting the property out. Provided the rental is high enough ( i assume its on the high end of the scale for century), and your rate deal is fixed for a while, you may be alright. I doubt you woulkd suffer any drop in rental demand there.

Why not try Julie Twist or even King Stge as they seem to have good knowledge of the scheme (which in my opinion is one of, if not the, best scheme in Manchester

Luke - the guys at RR have a take it or leave it attitude - its interesting that you are having a similar experience - I get the impression they would rather be re-selling 2 beds in castelfield to block invetors than a quality pad to an owner occupier - Tom the branch manager has an answer for everything but I will be switching to King Sturge before the month is out - 2 of the staff at the KS branch actually live in century buildings. Who was the other agent - not Hunters?

Thornley Groves

W3 is nice, I rent there currently. I'd buy but a lot of stuff is overpriced in my (humble) opinion. Saw three flats valued at 250k recently, bit strange.

I've been on a few viewings with RR and they seemed ok in terms of showing stuff around. Most of the city centre estate agents seem to be a bit unenthusiastic, presumably because not much seems to be selling.

Hunters are worth a look if only for the eye candy ;)

You probably saw ours!

The £250k is a semi-psychological price point. At £250k Stamp Duty Land Tax is 1% = £2500. At £250k + 1 it is 3% = £7,500. Reasoning is that if potential buyer has choice betwen flat 1 at £250k or flat 2 at £255k plus extra £5k to Gordon, then even if flat 2 is £5k better buyer will save tax and go with flat 1.

I think I probably know which flat you are on about and can understand your thinking completely. Another problem W3 has in terms of prices is the fact The Lock has appeared next door, meaning suddenly there are twice as many flats in an identical location. I'm at a loss as to what to do - like many here I think Manchester flats have hit their ceiling, at least for now; and I certainly wouldn't rule out a fairly dramatic correction. I'm concerned about what might happen if such a situation arises - would the flats become social housing ghettos? It's a fairly major concern. I do think though that the flats closer to the centre will remain desirable. It's the Urban Splash flats the wrong side of the Mancunian way that will suffer.

All imho, of course.

There was a small 2 bed on the third floor going for 190 earlier this year, really wish I'd been in a position to buy then :(

It's the Urban Splash flats the wrong side of the Mancunian way that will suffer.

Hmmm...and lets not forget St George's Church - the builder had to slash a £100k (yep you read it right) off the final penthouse.

Want that more due to holding and on-site cost and initial over valuation rather than anything to do with the market.

Penthouses have in the main been very difficult to shift in Manchester and developers seem to now be shying away from them at the moment.

If you have any 2 bed under £250k then you should be relatively safe with that.

Another problem W3 has in terms of prices is the fact The Lock has appeared next door, meaning suddenly there are twice as many flats in an identical location. I'm at a loss as to what to do - like many here I think Manchester flats have hit their ceiling, at least for now; and I certainly wouldn't rule out a fairly dramatic correction. I'm concerned about what might happen if such a situation arises - would the flats become social housing ghettos? It's a fairly major concern. I do think though that the flats closer to the centre will remain desirable. It's the Urban Splash flats the wrong side of the Mancunian way that will suffer.

At the risk of being branded a VI . . .

We have looked at The Lock twice, and our view was that W3 was better, despite being three years older. We hated that atrium and its walkways from which your neighbours could see right into your bedroom, and we felt that it was just too 'cutting edge' and would date rapidly; I can see those orange perspex balconies out of my office window; we think that in 5 years they are going to look so old fashioned. But there are a lot on the market in there; we visited the show flat on the 8th floor and then looked down the atrium at all the ones that had no curtains or furniture.

It's very difficult to predict the future. It would seem that the planners, both local and central, have a vision of moving people back in to city centres. If we are going to have to move to a less energy consuming economy then it makes sense to have people living in small well-insulated electrically heated flats close to where they work. On the other hand if teleworking takes off then why work in cities at all?

Our problem is this. I used to commute into Manchester from Chester, but we couldn't move because my wife's job was 50 miles from mine on the Wirral! Then she gave up work to have child 1, and so we came to Manchester, intending that it would only be temporary. Now she is working on child 2, so we could do with another bedroom, a bit more space, and, in a couple of years' time, a decent school. It just doesn't exist in the City Centre. The leap from W3 to, for example, a semi in Didsbury is too big, and anyway, it took as long to get from Didsbury to the City Centre as from Chester to Didsbury. So we want to sell and move on but can't see how to afford the family home we need. Just to add insult to injury, one of the reasons we moved into a flat is a family member with walking problems who has great dificulty with stairs, so we really need either a large flat or a bungalow.

We also looked at the Quadrangle, which is just the right side of the Mancunian way. That seems to be plummetting.

London has 100 year old flats in the good areas which never turned into social housing. Whether Manchester can pull that trick off remains to be seen.

Now she is working on child 2, so we could do with another bedroom, a bit more space, and, in a couple of years' time, a decent school.

mate - if you want good schools and be 10 mins from town Sale is your best bet - Didsbury schools are rubbish and the area is crawling with piss heads most nights of the week

I wasn't too keen on W3. The flats which I visited seemed poorly constructed and small...mind you they were 1 beds. Those penthouses have been on the market at w3 for ages.

IM WITH STUPID- is your flat the one for 190k with king-sturge...saw it pop up today?

You also pay a hefty premium for living in a fashionable area, though I do quite like didsbury. The Didsbury pub is where I'd spend every Sunday if I could!

Good luck with the flat luke, I agree W3 does have its good points in comparison with The Lock. I'm not sure how any will fare long term but the building and location are ideal for my needs. I'm going to be waiting and seeing at the moment it seems - there are two flats in W3 I like but both are priced quite highly.

One is a third floor flat priced at 250 and one a 7th floor flat directly above it priced at 245. I really like the 3rd floor flat but I can't see how it is "worth" any more than the one higher up (the flats are near identical). I'd have though it ought to be considerably cheaper - The Lock goes up by 10 grand a floor! I think I'd offend the vendor if I put an offer in :(

Madness :(

Kitster - where were you selling - which agents would you recommend - did you get a good price?

bridgefords but would nt recommend them.The first person to view bought it............6 months later.Dicked us around and all the while the agents did f*** all to push it to others,could prob have got more for it as well.All agents seem so expensive in town as well.If i'd had the time i'd have tried to sell myself.

Want that more due to holding and on-site cost and initial over valuation rather than anything to do with the market.

Penthouses have in the main been very difficult to shift in Manchester and developers seem to now be shying away from them at the moment.

If you have any 2 bed under £250k then you should be relatively safe with that.

You're fkn joking right?

There are 3 bed houses with gardens going for less than that in Hale and Altrincham.

Recently a 3 bed house with cellars on Manchester Road in Altrincham (ok VERY busy road) went for 82k.

Yes thats correct Eighty Two Thousand Pounds heres the link.

No offence mate, but having moved from London I wouldnt pay above 100k for any flat anywhere in Manchester.

Youre gonna get your ass bitten badly if youre hanging on for top dollar.

Look at this link for yearly houseprices it shows you what flats are doing in Altrincham (nice area)

June 05 May 06 %Change

Flat £158,327 £121,800 -23%

Why the F would anyone want to pay 250k to live in the city centre???

hi,

have reeds rains given you a realistic valuation, or just pitched a figure of your expectaions to get the work?

hows your property priced vers similar properties in the area that have sold since late 2004 ( see www.nethouseprices.com )

i have been through several EA due to 2 property sales, think I have found the best of a bad bunch. but still wouldnt trust them with with a paper round :)

good luck fella......