House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Charlie Don't Surf

Why Buy At The Current Limit Of Affordability?

If, as I suspect house prices have tested the very limits of affordability how does this bode for future equity increases? Assuming there is no crash (which I by no means think is the case) it seems pretty unlikely that house prices could out-perform any other investment for an awfully long time. In fact I'd be suprised if they could keep up with inflation in the current climate.

Anyway, with this in mind (i.e. house prices are fundamentally limited by affordability) what is the point of buying one now, even if there wasn't a crash? You would be paying far more than rent, risking an awful lot on there NOT being a crash and realising very little increase in equity for your investment.

Please feel free to pick holes in this argument, but for the time being it works for me!

Edited by surfgatinho