House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Hopeful FTB

How Has This Site Helped You?

I have been visiting this site for about a year and during that time have been through the full range of emotions about buying a house- I have been desperate, angry, depressed, worried and now have reached the point finally of not caring anymore as I am not prepared to put my long term financial future at risk by taking on a mortgage that I cant afford and that would have a detrimental effect on my life.

A lot of reaching this point has been due to this site as it has educated me enormously in the state of the current market and it has been good to know that I am not alone.

What about other people? :)

I have been visiting this site for about a year and during that time have been through the full range of emotions about buying a house- I have been desperate, angry, depressed, worried and now have reached the point finally of not caring anymore as I am not prepared to put my long term financial future at risk by taking on a mortgage that I cant afford and that would have a detrimental effect on my life.

A lot of reaching this point has been due to this site as it has educated me enormously in the state of the current market and it has been good to know that I am not alone.

I have also learnt a lot, but above all I am much more aware of business/economic conditions and how very crap the media is at trying to present a picture of the market due to VI's.

It has helped me in that I've given up on UK housing for now and have decided to go back to uni instead.

Thought process was something along the lines of why put my hard-saved deposit down on unsuitable housing now and be a mortgage slave in a job I don't like for the rest of my life. Why not use that money instead to change career and do something that I want to do and then buy a better house in the future for less. In effect, if HPC pans out I will be getting educated for free as if I use the money as a deposit I would expect to lose it anyway. End result - new career, more freedom, better paid and a better house.

(Expecting the resulting deflation in house prices following this debt mania to be at least 5-10 yrs)

Guest Bart of Darkness

I would say that it's helped me to understand why houses have increased so much in price over the past few years, also it's given me an insight into the way global economies work.

Still a lot to learn though.

I have also learnt a lot, but above all I am much more aware of business/economic conditions and how very crap the media is at trying to present a picture of the market due to VI's.

I,m past caring ,I too have visited this site on and off for the past 12 months,I just want a place to live without pouring money down the drain which is how I feel about renting,houses and property are just a big money spinner in the UK, I know of at least 5 people who have about 10 houses each and I think a lot of people will also know at least one person like this,houses are now a commodity where some have made fortunes,how I would love for it all to come crashing down but I won,t be holding my breath.

I,m past caring ,I too have visited this site on and off for the past 12 months,I just want a place to live without pouring money down the drain which is how I feel about renting,houses and property are just a big money spinner in the UK, I know of at least 5 people who have about 10 houses each and I think a lot of people will also know at least one person like this,houses are now a commodity where some have made fortunes,how I would love for it all to come crashing down but I won,t be holding my breath.

Lagos - what's with the name? Some Nigerian connection?

I would say that it's helped me to understand why houses have increased so much in price over the past few years, also it's given me an insight into the way global economies work.

Still a lot to learn though.

the learning never stops! :)

Lagos - what's with the name? Some Nigerian connection?

the learning never stops! :)

No Nigerian connection,Lagos refers to a place in Portugal on the coast,a very nice place actually.

I know of at least 5 people who have about 10 houses each and I think a lot of people will also know at least one person like this,houses are now a commodity where some have made fortunes,how I would love for it all to come crashing down but I won,t be holding my breath.

This is what is wrong, and this is what something needs to be done about.

If it wasnt for the BTL cretins I might have had a change to buy my one bedroom flat. And thus had potential to move up the ladder and buy myself a reasonable home in the years to come. This is not going to happen now.

All I am hoping for is some decent hikes in IR (+2/3% none of this .25% pish) but I cant see it happening. It is sad that Britain has returned to a society riddled wiht greed.

This is what is wrong, and this is what something needs to be done about.

If it wasnt for the BTL cretins I might have had a change to buy my one bedroom flat. And thus had potential to move up the ladder and buy myself a reasonable home in the years to come. This is not going to happen now.

All I am hoping for is some decent hikes in IR (+2/3% none of this .25% pish) but I cant see it happening. It is sad that Britain has returned to a society riddled wiht greed.

What we need is another black Wednesday where interest rates went up to 23% ,about 6 months at that rate should cull a lot of BTLers.

I have learnt a lot from this site - thank you. :) I have been interested in Economics for years and regularly read the financial press, but this site has proved a much more entertaining way to learn about it, based on real stats rather than textbook graphs.

It has prevented me from making a disastrous and fairly desperate attempt to get into BTL in the belief that it is my only prospect of one day moving up the "ladder". I have got access to a wide range of reports that I otherwise wouldn't have read.

It has also provided solace that there are others in the same situation, as well as people in a worse situation.

However, I am now tempted to emigrate because of the "state of the nation"

its taught me more about the national mentality of the british resident.

its shown me how society has begun to breakdown and that fairness and equality were simply an illusion.

its made me question the whole pathway of my life after the traditional house and 2.4 kids door was blocked and i had nowhere else to go but debt. its made me consider my whole long term future in the uk. something i came back from another country for. this has now gone for good and i now ask what future is here in the uk ?

and i dont see much.

I learnt that to laugh at a 40 year old who had never bought a house was OK, but to laugh at a 35 year old was not.

I also learnt that not everyone shares the same sense of humour.

whilst i don't agree with many posts on the forum as a whole, the HPC.co.uk made me realise i'm not bonkers for not wanting to buy in this cllimate.

I have learnt a lot from this site - thank you. :) I have been interested in Economics for years and regularly read the financial press, but this site has proved a much more entertaining way to learn about it, based on real stats rather than textbook graphs.

It has prevented me from making a disastrous and fairly desperate attempt to get into BTL in the belief that it is my only prospect of one day moving up the "ladder". I have got access to a wide range of reports that I otherwise wouldn't have read.

It has also provided solace that there are others in the same situation, as well as people in a worse situation.

However, I am now tempted to emigrate because of the "state of the nation"

Good points, same here although I have not been tempted to buy back in yet. I may consider a return to the US (I am a Brit but have lived in the US off and on for many years) if things don't improve with regard to affordability but am confident that this hideous nightmare known as the Miracle Economy has not go much longer to run.

I know far more than I used to but I am glad that I didn't listen to everything I read.

I bought another place last year for £130k and looking back now it was a bargain :D

I know far more than I used to but I am glad that I didn't listen to everything I read.

I bought another place last year for £130k and looking back now it was a bargain :D

According to the data Slough was one of the areas that experienced the sharpest falls in the last Q with a YoY drop of over 12%

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/in_d...s/html/md.stm?d

Slough

£288,710 last Q:-3.3% Annual: -12.6%

Flats were off by more in the last Q but healthy for the year:

Slough

£136,206 last Q: -7.1% Annual: 3%

Local EAs mayhave told you that your place has gone up but you may have to try to sell to see what market value is. :(

Lucky you are not in neighbouring Windsor area:

Windsor And Maidenhead

£205,851 -9.5% -3.3% :o

Edited by Realistbear

It's a bargain at the moment, profit can turn to negative equity pretty rapidly in a slump, then when it is as cheap to buy as it is to rent, more buy, less rent, second homes go from hero to zero.

Actually this may not be the case.

If property does suffer heavy falls, I wonder how many FTB will resist the temptation to buy an extra house?

Asda are dealing in property soon, they'll probably be doing buy one get one free.

I agree the site is helpful for economic insights, both factual & personal.

Replying to How Has This Site Helped You?

It made me realise that I'm not the only one who thinks property is over priced, and that I'm not the only one in an office full of sheep, who thinks that you have to get the biggest mortgage possible to have any status.

Thank you all.

This site has shown me that there is national concern in britain abouut the very real tightrope we are currently walking....we all want to feel like we belong.....hell, we all should be kings and queens of our own little castles...we go on about heritige in this country but looks like they want to put a full stop on a few family trees at the moment....in a few hundred years i see school children (of the chosen few) reading their history books....looking at the horror of the bygone years of great famines....world wars.....pandemics of germ warfare........but coupled with the great plague and the two world wars of our fair isles......firmly planted as epic in proportion as any war seen, or diesease recorded we will have great housing massacre of 2008,

As for me,im off to legoland.........what......rubbish......your having a laugh....really?...its a fecking funfair?......i was told they were new builds! :(

According to the data Slough was one of the areas that experienced the sharpest falls in the last Q with a YoY drop of over 12%

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/in_d...s/html/md.stm?d

Slough

£288,710 last Q:-3.3% Annual: -12.6%

Flats were off by more in the last Q but healthy for the year:

Slough

£136,206 last Q: -7.1% Annual: 3%

Local EAs mayhave told you that your place has gone up but you may have to try to sell to see what market value is. :(

Lucky you are not in neighbouring Windsor area:

Windsor And Maidenhead

£205,851 -9.5% -3.3% :o

Another flat in the same conversion sold for £145k (actual sold price) but that has one less bedroom and it open planned with the kitchenette in the same size lounge I have in mine.

£160k is what I could sell foir not what I'd ask. It's in the town centre on the same road that I live on and property on this street sell fairly quickly.

I'd be interested to see what prices are like now because houses are not staying on the market for long. Check out Slough on rightmove or findaproperty and you will see most are sold or under offer. I know this because I am activly looking for a house but there isn't much to choose from.

Replying to How Has This Site Helped You?

It made me realise that I'm not the only one who thinks property is over priced, and that I'm not the only one in an office full of sheep, who thinks that you have to get the biggest mortgage possible to have any status.

Thank you all.

I agree with you. Keeping up with the Jones' sometimes isn't possible. They earn more than we do yet there are those that mortgage themselves to the hilt to impress.

I do want to upsize gradually but I want to make myself and my partner happy. And the cats, not Mr and Mrs Jones. And I sure won't be borrowing more than 70% of the value of the house I buy because i'd be living on beans on toast and pasta for the rest of my days.