House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
sam

What Really Scares Me

This is a very short post, i just do not have the energy or desire today to complain , for today at least i have really had enough.

What is really really starting to become scary in todays Britain is the populations exceptance of....well just about anything.

I would like to think that one day i can put a hard days graft in on a well above average salary(like i am doing now), i will be able to afford a modest house and have some time to spend a little time caring for my family and hopefully putting a little into the community where i live.

But not in todays world, it seems like you have to spend 50/60/70% or even more in some cases of your take home pay on housing, and neglect the side of your life that feeds your soul.

When is this selfish souless society going to realise that homes are for living in, i hate the greed that is going on, and i hate this Governmet for feeding it.

Sam

It doesn't surprise me that buyers 3 bed houses accept high prices because they will most likely have £1000's in equity in theri current, myself included. I mentioned in a thread yesterday how I see 3 bed semi houses as a bargain at £200k in my area, yet they were less than £140k 5 years ago.

What does surprise me is FTB'ers acceptance to pay through the nose for new build flats. Until they stop buying there is only one way property prices are going and that's up.

This is a very short post, i just do not have the energy or desire today to complain , for today at least i have really had enough.

What is really really starting to become scary in todays Britain is the populations exceptance of....well just about anything.

I would like to think that one day i can put a hard days graft in on a well above average salary(like i am doing now), i will be able to afford a modest house and have some time to spend a little time caring for my family and hopefully putting a little into the community where i live.

But not in todays world, it seems like you have to spend 50/60/70% or even more in some cases of your take home pay on housing, and neglect the side of your life that feeds your soul.

When is this selfish souless society going to realise that homes are for living in, i hate the greed that is going on, and i hate this Governmet for feeding it.

Sam

Sam,

I totally agree with where you are coming from.

Its also as if Houses have become a primary form of investment, which is extremely dangerous for long-term financial planning. With so much focus on Houses and the amount of peoles fund they consume, people awareness and use of ISAs, Unit Trusts, Pension, Gilts, National Savings and general deposit savings seems to be becoming less and less talked about and used.

The whole of the UK has become Myopic and too much is resting on the capital growth that people expect to continue forever in their houses.

I can't afford to buy a house and currently forced to live with my Mum. But atleast this situation and has forced me to look at how best to use the money I do have for the future and I feel very happy that I 'real' money building up in a balanced investment portfolio as opposed to having to live with the 'faith' that my house will make me wealthy!

People are so gullible, £1.2 trillion in debt and everyone is still buying more stuff and thinking everythings dandy!

AFP

property has become too ingrained and buiried too deep in the british mindset to make them step back and think.

it has to be forced via a rising IR.

by now you should have realised that this so called 'fair' isle is a lie and its occupied by a set of the most greedy, selfish individuals on the earth. this is why the place is so violent. people are pushy and me me me. they push in car lanes, push into bus queses. steal anything not nailed down. skive. duck and dive. at night they simply add alcohol.

the british people do not match the offered suggestion of being bowler hatted cricket playing fairness mongers.

thats a real big lie.

Sam

let the greedy eat themselves into oblivion, they will implode under their own greed.

there was a couple of excellent articles in the FT at the weekend which are well worth reading. try grab a copy from the library or if you or a friend work at a bank then the library there will have a copy. they done a renting special and after reading you may loose the anger towards owning. they all agree that renting is the way forward, what is the big deal in ownership ? people who tend to be more foot loose and flexible rent in places because you get better value for money. one guy is a millionare and he still rents. cant see the point, he said its a 'passive invesment, where you have no control, put money into something that will give you higher returns and where you are in control'

do a search on google for 'financial times renting special'

remember sam, its just a place to live, its not an investment vehicle. im renting for 569 a month, but to buy the place is 190K. whats the point ?

Guest mattsta1964

property has become too ingrained and buiried too deep in the british mindset to make them step back and think.

it has to be forced via a rising IR.

by now you should have realised that this so called 'fair' isle is a lie and its occupied by a set of the most greedy, selfish individuals on the earth. this is why the place is so violent. people are pushy and me me me. they push in car lanes, push into bus queses. steal anything not nailed down. skive. duck and dive. at night they simply add alcohol.

the british people do not match the offered suggestion of being bowler hatted cricket playing fairness mongers.

thats a real big lie.

Yes. The 'You can't lose in bricks and mortar' mindset that people have is so unbelievably rash and misplaced it beggars belief.

The consequences of this madness are truly terrifying. The scariest thing of all though is that those people sensible enough not to buy into this madness will not be insulated from the consequences of it when it all goes wrong. Maybe you wont find yourself having your house repossessed and hideously in debt, but many more enlightened people will still find themselves out of a job with their savings made worthless by hyperinflation. If you have savings, i'd definitely look into ways to protect them other than just letting them sit in a bank account.

Guest Alright Jack

Sam

I am finding myself in agreement with many posts, including yours, on here today (and in disagreement with a few - those posts that idly seem to ignore the need for agriculture at the expense of further suburban expansion)

In this kind of system where money is depreciating, it is the hard working middle class, like you, who are to suffer at the hands of others who do not hold the same standards of thrift and discipline. It is broken because there is no standard of value at the heart of the system. This system is disconnected from any real standard of value which some seem to think is the actual monetary base as opposed to the credit hierarchy which is built on top of it. This was the case under a gold or silver backed currency, but now that monetary base is as expandable as the credit which it pillars. I think it is hazardous in the extreme to rely on the government to not expand the monetary base.

I'm sorry for your predicament. There is no point in letting it ruin your life completely (even though, in truth, it is ruining society in very profound ways)

A word about the apparent 'paradox' of your high wage and poor standard of living.

You earn 'above average' wage which is a considerable amount to many folk... but the price you are paying for that in terms of where and how you are forced to live (including the extortionate costs of your living circumstances) perhaps explains why it is that you do earn 'above average' wage. The average person would, upon a close inspection of your lifestyle may think twice!

thats a real big lie.

So you are saying that Brits are exactly like everyone else on this planet then. Why did you ever think Brits would be different.

So you are saying that Brits are exactly like everyone else on this planet then. Why did you ever think Brits would be different.

Have you ever lived abroad in another country to make the comparison?

Edited by FedupTeddiBear

Sam

It is the mass herd mentality that prices only go up and the complete inability to see the risks that define a bubble.

That is why we are in a bubble.

Average mortgage now costing 50% of income and yet people still believing that house prices can go up 50% in the next 5 yrs as reported by the Oxford blah blah group recently. I use my parents as a very good insight into the herd mentality as they read the headlines but never analyse the data, just accept it at face value. I try to explain what is really going on and it is exasperating at times. Just when I think it's getting through I'll have the next VI headline thrown at me.

i have. and people are fairer elsewhere.

and less violent and aggressive.

the friday night kebab shop mentality of hardness is a british thing only.

british people are best at crushing themselves in to a crappy hole, which could be nice. but if you look at glasgowq. pleasant location. same as any other really, though they stab each other loads. go to surrey where is more polite, but nimbys are feeding off their own young here. go to NI and you'll find a selection of people with major hangups about the past. on both sides. so you move to humberside, but the collection of unemployed on benefits are not happy with just being alive and being fed. they prefer to destroy their own envornment and opportunities as well. ok so im off to burnley. historic burnley. only they cant see it, so will destroy it in preference to drug addictions. they think they are trash so they act like trash. skip that them and head to leeds. the so called silicon milltown. only its full of crappy neo bars for binge drinking priced out harry hill shirt wearing spenders. thick worker bees on low wages prop up this old town. everytown i see i think is good and has poptential, only the habits of the local residents ruin the real fabric. no where else in the world will you fight someone over a 'stare' or a spilt drink.

yep. cant think of a place here that hasnt been warped into a slightly shittier place than it needs to be thanks to the british disease.

Oh yeah, remember the good old days.

Everybody could afford a house, just some people chose not to own.

And nobody ever ever overborrowed, they were sooo sensible then, credit control being a big part of their lives.

Nobody borrowed unnecessarily to get the latest fads.

Can't seem to remember those days though, when exactly were they.

I do remember though lenders exercising tight control.

The big discussion then was 'how dare they', the right to decide how much an individual borrowed should be decided by the individual themselves.

The banks having control was too 'big brother' (1984 the book, not a reality show).

Well, that was a good idea.

Look what happens when the people get their own way.

Laws of unforseen consequences, get you every time.

It doesn't surprise me that buyers 3 bed houses accept high prices because they will most likely have £1000's in equity in theri current, myself included. I mentioned in a thread yesterday how I see 3 bed semi houses as a bargain at £200k in my area, yet they were less than £140k 5 years ago.

What does surprise me is FTB'ers acceptance to pay through the nose for new build flats. Until they stop buying there is only one way property prices are going and that's up.

Except according to the statistics, FTBs have stopped buying and BTL landlords seem to have taken their place on the bottom rung.

I agree with you that people are blinded by their equity to the real value of homes. They don't realise that someone at the bottom, without 150k of equity, would have to pay the real cost, which would be about 2k per month on a 300k house. And that is at a fairly low interest rate. How many people have that sort of income to spend on a house? Answer: not many, but it doesn't matter at the moment. But it will in 10 years when all the FTBs are still in the 1 bed flat.

As I've (famously/infamoulsy) said on thie site for over 2 years - the First Time Buyers are the key to bringing the whole Pyramid Selling Scam down: If they just simply REFUSE to pay - ALL of them - then what can the sellers do? It is amazing how they don't realise this. Of course they're shoved into a false sense of optimism by the Moneylenders who just throw larger and larger loans at them..... this should be looked into by prosecutors ...... fraud is endemic - but that has kept the whole bubble growing. I don't care what anyone says, the same signs we saw beofre the dotcom crash are here -- Anyone who pays today's "prices" is mad. Totally insane. - http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=31648

im an ftb and i wont be here in 10 years time if theres the same situation and total lack of mobility.

i think id be gone after 5 more. its been 4 so far.

I'm not being forced out of the country I was born in and the country I want to stay in.

if things don't change and market forces aren't allowed to play out and house prices fall then I'll take to the streets along with anyone that will join me and start burning down 2nd homes in the country. Chances of being caught = zero. In the town where I grew up the nearest cops are 10 miles away.

I'm not being forced out of the country I was born in and the country I want to stay in.

if things don't change and market forces aren't allowed to play out and house prices fall then I'll take to the streets along with anyone that will join me and start burning down 2nd homes in the country. Chances of being caught = zero. In the town where I grew up the nearest cops are 10 miles away.

Nice idea, all the BTL about to be bankrupted will collect the insurance cheques & go out & put deposits on a few more properties, won't even have to bother looking for tenants, just wait till you burn them out & collect again.

Laws of unforseen circumstances.

Nice idea, all the BTL about to be bankrupted will collect the insurance cheques & go out & put deposits on a few more properties, won't even have to bother looking for tenants, just wait till you burn them out & collect again.

Laws of unforseen circumstances.

if your house is burnt down the insurance pays for the rebuilding costs. The money doesn't go in your pocket.

but just in case - break all the windows and throw paint over all the walls instead. That'll keep local people in work too so an added bonus.

I'm up for that! The worst that can probably happen anyway these days is a couple of hours community service.

I know what you mean about forced out. I can't believe that the older generation has so successfully betrayed us and has so far got away with it. Serves them right if they never see their grandchildren grow up, when their children move to the other side of the world. Selfish gets.

I understand exactly where you're coming from. I feel forced out myself. It means either I go or I fight.

i've certainly not accepted house prices as they are! which is why i refuse to buy, even though people insist that i could! i almost bought 2 and half years ago, a 1 bed flat central Bristol for £100k...that ame place would cost £120k now. I was forced out of buying by the vendor who demanded an extra £6k 2 weeks before completion!

House prices are silly and i won't buy until prices reduce, until then i rent and save.

A colleague at work did annoy me they other day, her and her boyfriend both have their own houses but want to move in together. But until them olden times, neither are selling their houses-they are renting them out and will buy another house! Thats part of the reason why there is a housing shortage, 3 houses owned by 1 couple. Greedy &!$£%s!