House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
HousePriceLottery

Ft: U-turn On Home Information Packs

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/28f0a41e-1695-11db...00779e2340.html

Plans for information packs to protect home buyers were watered down on Tuesday in a government U-turn mocked as a “cop-out” and a “farce”.

Ministers had been under pressure from some opposition MPs and estate agents to scrap the packs, which, at up to £1,000, would put the onus of paying for surveys on sellers rather than buyers.

The government appeared to have buckled under pressure after 130 MPs last week signed a motion against the packs amid fears they could affect house prices.

And yet people think we don't need to be putting pressure on the government to stop propping up house prices?!?!!!!

Phil an Kirsty call the shots on UK housing policy and we sit around, ho hum.

Edited by HousePriceLottery

The government appeared to have buckled under pressure after 130 MPs last week signed a motion against the packs amid fears they could affect house prices.

Yeah these are the same MPs who own several homes and make money from rentals and HPI

This makes me furious!!! :angry:

I am so bloody angry!!!!

These MPs didn't do anything about the affect of house prices rising!!!

Edited by OzzMosiz

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/28f0a41e-1695-11db...00779e2340.html

And yet people think we don't need to be putting pressure on the government to stop propping up house prices?!?!!!!

Phil an Kirsty call the shots on UK housing policy and we sit around, ho hum.

The government could make it illegal for anyone who doesn't currently own a house to buy one, and you lot on here would still wait for it to somehow 'correct' itself.

They could put a 5k tax on buying a property for the first time - and you'd lay down like the sheep(le?) you so despise and take it.

I'm counting down the seconds until Warwickbloke has a go at me, but if this makes you half as irate as it's made me go to this thread where we're going to organise to do something about it.

Yeah these are the same MPs who own several homes and make money from rentals and HPI

BTW if you're interested Priced Out's compiled a database of all the MP's declared property interests. Stats and a lookup system to be launched soon.

And I always thought the government's top priority was affordable housing for all - surely a house price crash is the best way to deliver that (unless you have your finger in the BTL pie like the Blairs et al) and they would save billions through not having to provide these shared ownership schemes for key workers!?!

What Gordon, MPs or the VIs try to do in keeping HPI-MEW going is really inconsequential. The rod of correction will come whistling down upon the bloated assett markets from an Easterly direction and when the stunned gazes look around to see what it was that hit them they will see the kindly and smiling face of Fukui.

This makes me furious!!!

Don't waste your energy being angry - to me, this u-turn just shows how desperate the VIs - including Blair and the other btl MPs - are. Sellers would only have had to find £1,000 for these packs - and with all their so-called tens of thousands in equity that's a drop in the ocean - and it would have speeded up the selling process. Blair and Brown know that the slightest thing now will bring their debt-fuelled economy crumbling down. It's tragic how desperate they're all getting. I'm enjoying it as blood sport really.

The government could make it illegal for anyone who doesn't currently own a house to buy one, and you lot on here would still wait for it to somehow 'correct' itself.

They could put a 5k tax on buying a property for the first time - and you'd lay down like the sheep(le?) you so despise and take it.

Marina is so right here. She has been saying this for months and she is right.

We are all being walked over. The likes of Phil & Kirsty can 'lobby' the government

and the Newspapers and get things done why can't we ?

I now have this awful feeling that we may still be discussing this is 2 years time.

Unless we make some kind of protest we are going to be very, very sorry !

I was so excited about HIPS, I really do believe this would have helped cause a

crash! i am completely devasted by this.

For Gods' sake lets do something !!!

Funny!.....For some reason I've always thought Marina was a he!....It's just his/her type of argument and reasoning always sounds male rather than female I guess

Edited by Michael

The government rolled over for Kirsty easy enough didn't it. It seemed like it only resisted for a couple of days.

The other day BBC Radio 4 did a piece about concert ticket profiteering where people buy many tickets from the box office and then sell them on at a marked-up price on Ebay. Exactly the same process happens with houses involving much bigger sums of money and more damage to people. And yet the media will not touch it.

I now have this awful feeling that we may still be discussing this is 2 years time.

Unless we make some kind of protest we are going to be very, very sorry !

For Gods' sake lets do something !!!

Protest - It's in the works, something to be announced in the next week.

HIPS Story - our research team have compiled a database of MP property interests, we are now cross checking it against the 130 MP's who signed this motion. May make interesting reading.

Doing something - We need more people to volunteer, you know where to come!

Edited by HousePriceLottery

Funny!.....For some reason I've always thought Marina was a he!....It's just his/her type of argument and reasoning always sounds male rather than female I guess

I flirted with Marina when I first joined as I thought she had a sexy name and manner.

Nearly choked on my Falafal when I later realised he was a bloke - probably a huge Yorkshireman with a beard like a Rhoddedendron bush :o

Maybe I am missing something but my reading was that they had removed the home condition report from the pack, everything else would stay.

I realise that is where the bulk of the cost came from but it does at least pass the cost of the searches on to the seller and make it quicker for a buyer to notice possible issues with regards to drainage, building works to the property and that sort of thing.

The cost of the packs may be lower but there is still an upfront cost that may deter the opportunistic seller just sticking the propoerty on the market but not really wanting to sell.

Pete

HIPS Story - our research team have compiled a database of MP property interests, we are now cross checking it against the 130 MP's who signed this motion. May make interesting reading.

What would being a volunteer involve? I'd like to help but because I drive a long distance to work my time is limited.

Excellent ! I have not been on here for a few days so have missed a lot I guess.

We have got to get ourselves in the media, even if it is to Protest for 'Affordable Housing' rather than 'A CRASH' which would probably ailianate half the country.

The media may not like to report it but they will have to, they will have no choice !

Especially if it is big enough.

It might also make some parents think twice about releasing equity to give their

kids and just compounding the flippin problem!

OK, at first glance, this looks bad. But if they are making this u-turn because they don't want to unsettle the housing market, they must think that the market is unsustainable enough to be unsettled. That being the case, with everything else that's conspiring to p*ss on their bonfire, is this enough?

I might be barking up the wrong tree here, but i am certain i read a while back that John Prescotts son was something big in BTL, can anyone confirm.

I am up for protesting (especially if GAL BEAR is going!).

I used to get really annoyed at Marina, but I now feel motivated to do something. The problem I feel I have (being no economics genius) is that I would not be very good at argueing on my own, but I'll happily jeer and hold a banner.

I also think a protest should be made on a single point or two. At BTL (and their tax breaks), at planners. Although, we would get more exposure if we went for an emotive issue ("I can't have a baby you selfish bar stewards!!"). Anyway, to conclude count me in, but I defer to the more intelligent posters judgement on when, where to ATTACK!!!