House Price Crash Forum
hedi

Its Started Already

be prepared for a long hot summer of vi (vested interest) spin.

its hotting up in the press and will carry on all summer. despite people not able to sell.

do not panic, its a good sign of a correction to come.

Guest mattsta1964

its hotting up in the press and will carry on all summer. despite people not able to sell.

Yep. Lets hope not too many more people are naive enough to believe it and get themselves sucked into their own fiscal apocalypse

i dont wish harm to anyone,except my list of people topped by blair and livingstone, but we on this sight should not take it upon ourselves to feel for those who are buying at the top of the market. its their choice, and besides this is a good forum for those of us that roughly believe that house prices are going to fall at some point in the near future.

after all, people have not felt sorry for those who have been left out of the great boom, so why people on here should feel sorry for those people who will loose their shirts, is not logical.

You should try telling that to people in London and the South East. Houses selling like hot cakes here - I am not joking or trying to wind anyone up either. Simple fact. The For Sale signs are turning to Sold within a week or two on average. Odd one holds on longer. Some are selling without a board even going up.

You can all call me names in a minute ... but if this carries on we are going to lose our language.

'Lose' means the opposite of win and to misplace something.

'Loose' means the opposite of tight.

Are people not taught the difference at school any more?

Oh and this is a web 'site' not a web 'sight'.

Edited by Marina

Guest mattsta1964

You should try telling that to people in London and the South East. Houses selling like hot cakes here - I am not joking or trying to wind anyone up either. Simple fact. The For Sale signs are turning to Sold within a week or two on average. Odd one holds on longer. Some are selling without a board even going up.

You can all call me names in a minute ... but if this carries on we are going to lose our language.

This will be the last summer of this kind of activity in London and the Southeast for a very long time!

As far as sympathy goes, it only expends to those who have genuinely bought a place recently because they are desperate to own a home, raise a family etc. Not the 'jump on the bandwagon' types out to make a killing. I hope they get totally screwed

Since when did a SOLD board going up actually consitute a sale. Offer made, offer accepted maybe...but not SOLD. SOLD is when the property appears on the land registry, often many moons later. YOu cannot even take a removal van outside as any indicator as some people move out and into their new places without selling in the first place!

To give you an example, my parent's house went on the Market..within 2 weeks they had accepted an offer, within 2 hours of the offer being accepted the board outside the house read SOLD. My father was onto the agent insisting he remove the board immediately, as it was it was grossly misleading or replace with SALE AGREED (also fairly meaningless).

So yes, absolutely the SOLD boards go up....the same here in leafy Berkshire....the same boards are generally removed within a week max to be replaced by (guess what....)

FOR SALE.

There have been a few houses actually, really sold around here, I'm not sure who to though. Most have been gutted by builders afterwards, so I'm guessing they'll be BTLs?

That's certainly the case here on the London side of Surrey. Every decent family home that comes up for sale turns to sold within a couple of weeks. I see some sales fall through but most do not. Some that sold a few months ago and have recently fallen through have come back on at higher asking prices than before.

Guest mattsta1964

Since when did a SOLD board going up actually consitute a sale. Offer made, offer accepted maybe...but not SOLD. SOLD is when the property appears on the land registry, often many moons later. YOu cannot even take a removal van outside as any indicator as some people move out and into their new places without selling in the first place!

To give you an example, my parent's house went on the Market..within 2 weeks they had accepted an offer, within 2 hours of the offer being accepted the board outside the house read SOLD. My father was onto the agent insisting he remove the board immediately, as it was it was grossly misleading or replace with SALE AGREED (also fairly meaningless).

So yes, absolutely the SOLD boards go up....the same here in leafy Berkshire....the same boards are generally removed within a week max to be replaced by (guess what....)

FOR SALE.

Lol! Excellent punchline! :D

That's certainly the case here on the London side of Surrey. Every decent family home that comes up for sale turns to sold within a couple of weeks. I see some sales fall through but most do not. Some that sold a few months ago and have recently fallen through have come back on at higher asking prices than before.

The market in Surrey dropped slightly in June but seems busier than ever again now.

I'm still considering selling myself.

London and the SE is rapidly becoming one big hell hole. Anyone buying there deserves the next 20 years of hell.

Try buying a semi or detached house in the castleview catchment of Slough. They are never advertised as being for sale for more than a week.

I've aspired to live there myself and have been following prices in the area. Detached 3 beds are around £400k and another bedroom costs around £100k. But it wouldn't surprise me if there are million pound homes in five year time in this area because the demand is so great. Perhaps this is the worry of others and so they are willing to spend large amounts of money.

Incidently, my girlfriends parents bought a 4 bed detached house in the area last year for around £450k and are soon to finish converting to 7 bedrooms, family bathrooms, 1 en-suite bathroom, 2 en-suite shower rooms and 2 kitchens.

Putting it simply, her parents are doing it to secure a futre for their kids. It's the same in all catchment areas with good schools and for this reason I can't ever see prices fulling in these types of areas.

My only chance of living theer myself is a 3 bed semi in a couple of years when I sell my place and my btl... as long as I get an offer in before somebody else does :D

Try buying a semi or detached house in the castleview catchment of Slough. They are never advertised as being for sale for more than a week.

I've aspired to live there myself and have been following prices in the area. Detached 3 beds are around £400k and another bedroom costs around £100k. But it wouldn't surprise me if there are million pound homes in five year time in this area because the demand is so great. Perhaps this is the worry of others and so they are willing to spend large amounts of money.

Incidently, my girlfriends parents bought a 4 bed detached house in the area last year for around £450k and are soon to finish converting to 7 bedrooms, family bathrooms, 1 en-suite bathroom, 2 en-suite shower rooms and 2 kitchens.

Putting it simply, her parents are doing it to secure a futre for their kids. It's the same in all catchment areas with good schools and for this reason I can't ever see prices fulling in these types of areas.

My only chance of living theer myself is a 3 bed semi in a couple of years when I sell my place and my btl... as long as I get an offer in before somebody else does :D

Come, friendly bombs, and fall on Slough

It isn't fit for humans now,

There isn't grass to graze a cow

Swarm over, Death!

Come, bombs, and blow to smithereens

Those air-conditioned, bright canteens,

Tinned fruit, tinned meat, tinned milk, tinned beans

Tinned minds, tinned breath.

Mess up the mess they call a town --

A house for ninety-seven down

And once a week for half-a-crown

For twenty years,

And get that man with double chin

Who'll always cheat and always win,

Who washes his repulsive skin

In women's tears,

And smash his desk of polished oak

And smash his hands so used to stroke

And stop his boring dirty joke

And make him yell.

But spare the bald young clerks who add

The profits of the stinking cad;

It's not their fault that they are mad,

They've tasted Hell.

It's not their fault they do not know

The birdsong from the radio,

It's not their fault they often go

To Maidenhead

And talk of sports and makes of cars

In various bogus Tudor bars

And daren't look up and see the stars

But belch instead.

In labour-saving homes, with care

Their wives frizz out peroxide hair

And dry it in synthetic air

And paint their nails.

To get it ready for the plough.

The cabbages are coming now;

The earth exhales.

-- John Betjeman

Guest Alright Jack

I fully agree and couldn't have alluded to it in a more humorous and apt manner.

With headlines from the BBC (who arguably ought to know better!) such as "Disaterous news for FTBers" makes you understand just how far down the road to hell we have really gone.

The sooner this system, based on borrowing and speculation, is brought down the sooner we can get on with rebuilding this economy on savings and investment.

It isn't fit for humans now,

There isn't grass to graze a cow

Swarm over, Death!

Come, bombs, and blow to smithereens

Those air-conditioned, bright canteens,

Tinned fruit, tinned meat, tinned milk, tinned beans

Tinned minds, tinned breath.

Mess up the mess they call a town --

A house for ninety-seven down

And once a week for half-a-crown

For twenty years,

And get that man with double chin

Who'll always cheat and always win,

Who washes his repulsive skin

In women's tears,

And smash his desk of polished oak

And smash his hands so used to stroke

And stop his boring dirty joke

And make him yell.

But spare the bald young clerks who add

The profits of the stinking cad;

It's not their fault that they are mad,

They've tasted Hell.

It's not their fault they do not know

The birdsong from the radio,

It's not their fault they often go

To Maidenhead

And talk of sports and makes of cars

In various bogus Tudor bars

And daren't look up and see the stars

But belch instead.

In labour-saving homes, with care

Their wives frizz out peroxide hair

And dry it in synthetic air

And paint their nails.

To get it ready for the plough.

The cabbages are coming now;

The earth exhales.

-- John Betjeman

Not that old poem again :P

I've been watching properties in my road come on the market at huge mark-ups, then put up sold signs, which later come down. One might assume a sale has occurred, but after many months of waiting nothing ever seems to appear in the nethouseprices list (or others). The only sale I have seen was at a level far below the current asking prices.

I'm guessing that lots of 'sales' have failed to complete.

It looks from this site as though in the home counties, SW London, Surrey / St Albans the market has taken off again. Everyone on this site from that area has seen everything take off again. It isn't a joke - hard to believe yes, but it is true. Houses are not coming back on the market again, they are selling. For about two years, the market has been totally stagnant/falling, and now all those losses are being made up. If it was just one place it could be hype, but it has happened simultaneously all over, bucking a previous trend. The obvious conclusion is that in these areas, affordability must be there.

I have seen this enough times to recognise the signs when it is here. I think prices are seriously taking off again, and how people can afford it, I have no idea at all. Believe me, my relatives/friends all over the country are saying the opposite, but we are not kidding, down here it has gone mad. On findaproperty.com in my area all the 3 beds have sold or are hideously overpriced.

There are new build 2 bed flats which have all sold for 250k asking prices on land registry selling price database. These previously looked hopeful. I am convinced that I will never own a house, no matter how much I earn. Something very strange is going on.

Guest Bart of Darkness

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/5190414.stm

Pupils can gain top grades at GCSE English despite having poor spelling, a leading public school claims.

Interestingly, in the quote from Mr Wickson:

Writing in the school magazine, Mr Wickson said: "Can't spell simple words and can't punctuate a simple sentence, but can still get an A grade in GCSE English? That can't be right, can it?<missing double right quotation mark>

"Well, yes, at Harrow we frequently find that can be the case."

There is a closing quote symbol missing at the end of the first paragraph.

Tut, tut, is this where my licence fee money is going? :P

This is deviating from the original post but Bart of Darkness is incorrect. There is no need for a quotation mark at the end of the first paragraph, as they are continuing to quote from the magazine article. When you quote somebody, you must put quotation marks at the start of each paragraph, and only at the end of the WHOLE quote. :P Now then, who's the pedant? :D

Interestingly, in the quote from Mr Wickson:

There is a closing quote symbol missing at the end of the first paragraph.

Tut, tut, is this where my licence fee money is going? :P

I don't think you need a closing quotation mark, as the quotation continues in the next paragraph which refers to the same person being quoted in the first.

Guest Bart of Darkness

This is deviating from the original post but Bart of Darkness is incorrect. There is no need for a quotation mark at the end of the first paragraph, as they are continuing to quote from the magazine article. When you quote somebody, you must put quotation marks at the start of each paragraph, and only at the end of the WHOLE quote. :P Now then, who's the pedant? :D

Tarnation.

No chance of a place at Harrow for me then.

Hi Marina . It may be like that where you are but not so in Maidenhead. I know two couples who have been trying to sell, one since last summer and one since March ... both have given up as no interest was shown in their laughably overpriced homes.

Roundabout where I live in Egham/Staines and Ashford, houses are selling like American flags in Gaza.

Its no joke.

A few months back, Whitton was affordable with several 3 beds going for less than £250k. Now there is only one or two 2 beds going for less than £250k.

Even an absolutely horrible 2 bed terrace that stank and needed loads of work sold in less than a month for £230k in Staines- about 1 mile from the station. I have since seen an identical house in the sme street on for £280k.

Hells teeth! even feckin filthy Feltham is getting out of our reach.

It looks from this site as though in the home counties, SW London, Surrey / St Albans the market has taken off again. Everyone on this site from that area has seen everything take off again. It isn't a joke - hard to believe yes, but it is true. Houses are not coming back on the market again, they are selling. For about two years, the market has been totally stagnant/falling, and now all those losses are being made up. If it was just one place it could be hype, but it has happened simultaneously all over, bucking a previous trend. The obvious conclusion is that in these areas, affordability must be there.

I have seen this enough times to recognise the signs when it is here. I think prices are seriously taking off again, and how people can afford it, I have no idea at all. Believe me, my relatives/friends all over the country are saying the opposite, but we are not kidding, down here it has gone mad. On findaproperty.com in my area all the 3 beds have sold or are hideously overpriced.

There are new build 2 bed flats which have all sold for 250k asking prices on land registry selling price database. These previously looked hopeful. I am convinced that I will never own a house, no matter how much I earn. Something very strange is going on.

Ipswich is doing the same, at least my little microcosm (near the station). In fact some houses have sold faster than nearby houses have been let. Other houses have been on the market for 18 months are now sold. The only part of the market that seems to be sluggish are the one-bed flats (and lettings to some extent). If I was being optimistic I'd say it was rotting from the bottom, but optimism is not what I'm feeling at the moment.

It's totally puzzling to me as unnemployment seems up and the cheap interest deals don't seem to be as prominent as before. Not only are the fundamentals not stacking up, but they are getting worse - or perhaps I'm missing something. I know that this can't go on, but if you asked me six months ago whether the housing market would see another (last?) gasp I'd be incredulous.