House Price Crash Forum

Teenagers 'choosing Motherhood'

HOLA441

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/5186614.stm

Many teenage girls see having a baby as a better option than a low-paid "dead-end" job, research has found.

Many girls talked about their love for babies. One 18-year-old said: "Everybody said I'd make a good mum. I knew exactly what I was doing when I got pregnant."

There is overwhelming evidence that, overall, teenage parenthood leads to poorer outcomes both for teenage mothers and their children.

shoot me in the face now.

HOLA442

I have observed closed site for many years and cannot understand how any developer in their right mind closes a site unless he’s gone bust. Imagine you are a developer. You raise the cash, purchase land, engage a builder and start work. The bank wants it's pound of flesh and is not interested in your problems. The longer the delay the longer you pay. Maybe I’m missing something. Somebody tell me if I am.

Another mystery is why does it take so long to build a house in this country? Considering how easy it is to construct a wood frame building, I cannot understand why the average house is not completed in a few months instead of 18 - 24 months.

good choice... the more you have the bigger your house. People are very good at finding whats best and going for it...

I remember seeing a study last year that said a single mum with two kids has the same spare income and equiv living conditions as a family with a single bread winner earning 30k...

Edited by moosetea

HOLA443
HOLA444

"dead end job" = earning a living

It used to be essential for survival.

I heard about it on LBC radio this morning. It's been happening for a long time now and the government have to held partly responsible.

The difference now of course is that there is less work available because there are plenty of foreigners that are more than willing to take what young girls call a dead end job. Then there are schools and parents but in seems that teenagers don't listen to adults much these days.

I've got a single mother living in my btl rent free. She's a friend and I am 100% sure she'll never bother looking for a job. Why should she :huh:

HOLA445

Probably helps the unemployment figures too: I presume that 'single mothers' living on the dole in their free flat aren't counted as unemployed, since they're obviously too busy looking after their chavlings^H^H^H^Hkids.

HOLA446
HOLA447

Stop paying them so much benefit and they will soon learn that contraception works and they won't get up the stick.

The problem is that if you take out the indigenous skiprats and various trash that blight our local papers with ASBO reports and take out the masses of recent immigrants, who else is actually having kids - on a national level we are barely sustaining the population with births, so if you take out the most reproductive groups, you are left with the rest of us who don't have kids and are the ones who are funding our lovely trash (I am hopeing the balance on the immigrants is that for each lazy bogus asylum seeker we bring in, we also bring in one hard working taxpaying Pole/E European or whatever who will pay their own way and for someone else so they are tax neutral)..... - 30 years time, there won't be a new generation of workers from the British, they will all be second generation immigrants and the only people who will be historically British won't be economically active - they will be doleites...

HOLA448

As much as this annoys me i can't really blame them, school leavers don't stand a cat in hells chance what with top up fees, high unemployment, House prices out of control etc. We moan on here and most of us are in their 20's or 30's with some on pretty good wages. Now think back to first leaving school and how much you earned and the relative cost to live. I'm actually worse off now than i was 10 years ago in relation to wages vs. bills etc what about you?

HOLA449

Each generation has to live in the society forced on them by the previous generation. If you want someone to blame for creating a society where young people feel there's no point in working hard, I think you know where to look. Take some responsibility for the mess you've created.

Obviously this doesn't apply to everyone reading it. You can sit back down, grandad, as can you, Mr. Recent Graduate.

Edited by JJJ

HOLA4410

The economics make sense. To be honest, I'm not sure that a school leaver today would be better off if they went to university. Build up a huge debt, pay it off, work for 10 years, save a deposit and buy... a two bed flat. Which they could have got at the age of 17 had they got pregnant. That gives them another 15 years to get to the same stage. Then if they went to uni they wouldn't be able to have children because they need the joint income to pay the mortgage, and the childcare would cripple them.

In this society, you may as well be poor, because there is little prospect of doing much better than that unless you have a massive inheritance. For these girls, having a baby and throwing themselves into the hands of the state is the best that life can offer them. As long as you don't mind living on a council estate (well if you are already on one) then it is a no-brainer.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

We have hyperinflation in the cost of living outside of the benefits sytem, ergo the benefits system becomes a more popular route. When you look at the sheer greed, stupidity and economy wrecking behaviour in the banking system that has helped create this situation those with the foresight to sidestep it should maybe be admired for their lucid analysis of the system in which they are merely a pawn - like everyone else. "I'm not playing" is the response, can hardly blame them at all really.

Edited by OnlyMe

HOLA4413

We have hyperinflation in the cost of living outside of the benefits sytem, ergo the benefits system becomes a more popular route. When you look at the sheer greed, stupidity and economy wrecking behaviour in the banking system that has helped create this situation those with the foresight to sidestep it should maybe be admired for their lucid analysis of the system in which they are merely a pawn - like everyone else. "I'm not playing" is the response, can hardly blame them at all really.

The things is, even as a single teen mum, your life can be better if you go out and work (if you can get some childcare from parents etc) even part time. From what I understand, the dole is not particularly lucrative.

Anyone got some figures for how much dole income a single teen mum will get?

tc

HOLA4414

The things is, even as a single teen mum, your life can be better if you go out and work (if you can get some childcare from parents etc) even part time. From what I understand, the dole is not particularly lucrative.

Anyone got some figures for how much dole income a single teen mum will get?

tc

It's not dole, it's the free place to live, no council tax to pay, child benefits and allowances and the other handouts, plus the fact they move Wayne in surreptitiously and so they have his income whilst he claims he still lives at his "mam's"..... - I should suggest that is you price the value of the house per year (inc maintenance) at £5K, the child benefits at £3K and the £2.5K of dole gets you about £10K a year net, plus the cash coming in from Wayne is all disposable, so a family of chavs can easily get the same as the average £28Kish single income family (assume Wayne earns £12K a year) - up the number of kids or magic up depression, asthma or a bad back and the numbers get even better....

HOLA4415